Roxanne Wilson, Rep. Joe Wilson's wife, gives a heartfelt defense of her husband in a new video on the congressman's YouTube channel. In it, Mrs. Wilson explains where she thinks his outburst last week came from and her reaction to the entire episode. We learn that:
* The Wilsons first met at a teenage Republican camp (where else?). "I think I've had a crush on him since 1966," she says.
* The Wilsons have four sons (all of whom serve in the military).
* Immediately after the president's speech, Roxanne Wilson spoke with her husband on the phone and asked, "Joe, who's the nut who hollered out 'You lie'?" When he told her he had done it, she said, "No really, who did it?"
* She explains that the congressman is "very passionate," and that his constituents at town-hall meetings were worried and upset about health care. "I think that's where Joe's outburst came from."
* She says President Obama "has been very gracious to my husband in accepting his apology."
* Finally, in terms of Congressional reaction: "My husband doesn't deserve the treatment he's getting from Congress. . . . He's a great guy and I love him a lot."
In an effort to encourage the same level of civil dialogue among Politics Daily’s readers that we expect of our writers – a “civilogue,” to use the term coined by PD’s Jeffrey Weiss – we are requiring commenters to use their AOL or AIM screen names to submit a comment, and we are reading all comments before publishing them. Personal attacks (on writers, other readers, Nancy Pelosi, George W. Bush, or anyone at all) and comments that are not productive additions to the conversation will not be published, period, to make room for a discussion among those with ideas to kick around. Please read our Help and Feedback section for more info.