Carly Fiorina Cracks Herself Up Mocking Barbara Boxer's Hair

Caught on an open mic as she was getting ready to go on CNN Wednesday, California's new Republican senatorial nominee, Carly Fiorina, may have set a new record for most catty remarks per minute. She repeatedly questioned her fellow Republican Meg Whitman's "bizarre" decision to be interviewed by Fox host Sean Hannity and cracked herself up by mocking the physical appearance of her Democratic opponent, incumbent Sen. Barbara Boxer.

Boxer's hairstyle, Fiorina laughed, is "so yesterday." But here's what's so yesterday: Fiorina's whole "Mean Girls" approach to female competition. Even as commentators across the country were saluting Fiorina as part of the unprecedented wave of female Republican candidates who'd prevailed at the polls on Tuesday night, she was behaving like a throwback, criticizing both her opponent's looks and her own party's gubernatorial nominee's judgment in terms that were far less attractive than a mere bad hair day.

As a makeup artist prepared her for an appearance on Sacramento's KXTV-TV Wednesday morning, Fiorina repeatedly second-guessed Whitman's decision to go on one of the most popular cable shows on the air, and be interviewed by a host beloved by conservatives:

"I find it really surprising that on the first day of the general, Meg Whitman is going on Sean Hannity. Did you hear that? I think it's bizarre -- I mean, she's never been on Sean Hannity. I think it's a very bad choice, actually. You know how he is. Yeah, anyway, that's what they said...Why, after saying no to all these people, would you go on Sean Hannity? That's not the one you would do. Sean Hannity is not an easy interview. You know?" (Unlike the witless tool who was about to interview Fiorina on the first day of the general? Ouch.)

Checking her BlackBerry, she read an e-mail from a supporter: "Just watched you on Fox, blah, blah, blah. Wow, people are up early." Though "I didn't eat last night," those with her were sure "wolfing down cheeseburgers," she reported and "eating, eating."

Finally, she referred to her competition as "Failedsenator.com. Hello, Barbara'' -- then mentioned someone who "saw Barbara Boxer briefly on television this morning and said what everyone says, 'God, what is that hair?'"

"So yesterday," said the woman being hailed around the country as a new brand of feminist.

In an e-mail to CNN, Fiorina press secretary Amy Thoma shrugged off the remarks as "nothing but early morning small talk." Just imagine what she'd come up with fully awake and completely serious.

Update: On Greta van Susteren's show on Fox on Wednesday night, the host first asked Fiorina about her remarks about Hannity, and the candidate answered, "I talked to Sean earlier this evening and apologized -- and that's what I was trying to convey, that he's a tough interview...and I'm going on his show on Friday night and really looking forward to it.''

No apologies are due Boxer, though, Fiorina said: " I was quoting a friend of mine, my goodness. My hair's been talked about by a million people, you know? It sort of goes with the territory.''

Click play below to watch the video:

Follow Melinda Henneberger on Twitter.
Filed Under: Media, 2010 Elections

Kathleen Holst

I base my support on any candidate almost entirely on their vote on the issues. So far Barbara Boxer has it right.

October 10 2010 at 3:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
isill

Thank you Melinda. Its good to read someone's truly accurate assessment of character. As a 50 year Californian, I‘m voting for Senator Barbara Boxer. She has worked tirelessly in getting the right things done for the people of California. She has earned my respect and deserves re-election. Better an experienced, knowledgeable and highly effective fighter than a failed CEO with zero experience in politics along with a history of outsourcing jobs. A prosperous economy is fundamentally all about job creation, productivity and consumer confidence. Boxer recognizes that our focus should be on initiating tax cuts, cutting governmental spending, boosting mortgage interest deductions, supporting entrepreneurial start-ups & small businesses and deploying additional stimulus spending so as to create jobs and get us on a path to a sustainable 4+% economic growth rate. It’s all about jobs, jobs, jobs. Boxer can make it happen, Fiorina wouldn’t even know where to start. And, I'm a Republican!

August 14 2010 at 12:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jamie

WOW. PD finally summoned the nerve to get civility back into internet discourse. This is a great article to start with. I think it's important for the message to get out that even if you're angry about an issue you can still frame your arguement in civil, rational terms. When a person stoops to ridicule and name calling, when a forum post has to be typed in caps, etc, the whole legitimacy of the arguement goes out the door. Leave that crap to the talk radio mob. Thank you PD.

June 17 2010 at 9:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
snrar

I don't care much for Boxer's politics , But I don't care much for what Fiorina's snipping and silly personal attacks either . Fiorina is going to have to prove to me that she can debate the issues and she is above what she pulled the other day. I want someone who is going to work for the State of California and the good of this nation . If she wants my vote she is going to have to work real hard to prove to me she is the one I will vote for .

June 15 2010 at 6:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
oldengineera2

Fiorina might be granted some slack for being a bit self-conscious about hair, having endured its loss during radiation therapy.

I personally care more about the reality of political policy than the choice of coiffures.

On that score, Boxer has yet to land a punch.

June 12 2010 at 9:49 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
tnickerson08

I wonder if barbara boxer is going to cry like hillary did? THis story is sooooo yesterday, as if this is a real story, how can PD and melinda henneburger call this journalist? I would like to know of ONE WOMAN who hasen't made a caddy comment about a woman's hair, clothes or make-up? This is what women do, that's why women take all that time in the public restroom. I remember all of the comments about Sara Palin's looks, her clothes, her make-up but I didn't see the media defending Sara Palin. I wonder if PD and melinda henneburger can say DOUBLE STANDARD!!!!!!!!!!

June 11 2010 at 6:15 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Queen BichThoa

That's nasty! Her hair ain't look good anyway. How come someone all smiling and nice outside can be so ugly inside? Women can be so evil! If you want to attack your opponent, do or say something more interlectual. That's so trashy! What a turn off!. I thought I'd vote for her in the primary...

June 11 2010 at 2:08 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
arealtaxpayer

Boxer has not done anything, but help the state of California and the USA go bankrupt.

The Libs are hysterical that they think the Boxer's hairdo is NEWS. The Libs always try to distract from the real issues at hand. Libs it does NOT work anymore. The US citizens knows that the Democratic congress and Obama has robbed and raped the US taxpayer.

June 11 2010 at 11:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hider51210

Could you pleeeease call her "Senator"? She's worked pretty hard for that title. Oh, and you can still call Babs Senator until January too.

June 11 2010 at 7:58 AM Report abuse +5 rate up rate down Reply
joycejrf4ever

MY, MY, MY she really put her foot in her mouth and on the first day. She strikes me as a mean self absorded women that is only thinking of herself. No wonder she got fired from HP. I can tell already she doesn't have my vote.

June 10 2010 at 11:10 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply