Strippers Reportedly File Oil Spill Compensation Claim; Pay Czar 'Dubious' [VIDEO]

Add Comment Say Something  »
Print Text Size
Countless people's livelihoods have suffered as a result of the gulf oil spill: fishermen, drilling crews, oceanfront restaurateurs. And now ... strippers?

That's the word out of New Orleans, where over the weekend England's The Observer reported that the Mimosa Dancing Girls adult entertainment club filed a compensation claim for lost business under the $20 billion gulf oil spill escrow fund that the Obama administration conceived and BP agreed to last week.

But today, the government-appointed administrator of the fund, pay czar Kenneth Feinberg, expressed his doubt that the claim was legitimate.

"I'm dubious about that claim. I'm very dubious about that claim," Feinberg told "Good Morning America." "But I don't want to prejudge any individual claim, and I think we will study this and decide how attenuated claims can be that will be eligible or ineligible for compensation under this independent facility."

Interestingly enough, Surge Desk has yet to discover a business of that description listed under the name "Mimosa" in the New Orleans area. Stay tuned for further updates
Filed Under: Oil Spill, Surge Desk

frank

Comment:
It has been over 21 years since the Exxon oil spill in Alaska; I lost all my gear and much more to that spill. As of today 21 years later we still have not been paid. Those people that are getting $5000 a month should be happy. Our attorneys have just about eaten all our funds, so I would have to say those people in the gulf area should be a little happy, they have at least gotten something; many of us lost our lively hood; but it is sad this had to happen to Alaska and now the gulf. Franklin James from Alaska

June 22 2010 at 11:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wbearl

This has the potential to become rediculus. Can I sue because it is effecting the gas prices in my area? How about if those unemployeed Louisiana people come up and take jobs in my city raising our unemployment? I sure do like shrimp, what if the prices go up at Red Lobster? I don't think Obama exstorted enough money from BP.

June 22 2010 at 6:50 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
rjoggerst

Obama may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but after 8 years of W. he looks like a razor.

June 22 2010 at 5:14 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
kalinoski8

I have a good friend that is a job counselor in the state of pennsylvania (with a small p). We spoke last week in reference to the fact that they BP is presently hiring people to clean up the mess at 14 to 15 dollars an hour with per-deim on top.Stop looking for the EASY way out of life and know what hard work is about maybe this could be your change to the better for America... Step up to the plate and stop looking for hand outs!!!!!

June 21 2010 at 10:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to kalinoski8's comment
gonecoastal227

To be hired you have to be hazwoper certified, or get ripped off to let them certify you, you must pass a physical and be able to withstand 100 plus degree heat for more than 8 hours, as well as wear a very heavy hazmat certified suit and mask. Not everyone can pull that off dear. If you want to know whats up with the coast, ask someone on the coast, not in pennsylvania.

June 22 2010 at 12:36 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Tyke Lambert

The only ones that need help with this oil spell is the Animals. People can pack up and move. I am sure the animals would move too if they could. All then money should go toward the clean up of the gulf. If you lost your job, suck it up and go somewhere else. I have had two jobs in the past few years that outsoursed out to other countries. I had no one to pay for my lost wages except a few dollars in unemployment. Use the money to go down to the gulf and clean up the homes of our sea creatures. In the long run we will all suffer of the loss of these suffering creatures.

June 21 2010 at 10:17 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Tyke Lambert's comment
gonecoastal227

" If you lost your job, suck it up and go somewhere else." I just spent my entire life savings relocating to the gulf coast 8 months ago, and now about to lose my job due to the spill, if anyone needs to suck up anything, its bp. Why don't you come on down and help me rake the tarballs off the once white sands that supported my family...that is if it's so easy to just pack up and move. With that outlook you have, maybe you can go work at bp.

June 22 2010 at 12:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
imoutrageous

Government appointed administrator and government appointed administration of the claims .. HOW MUCH IS THIS GOING TO TAKE OUT OF THE FUND????? While I agree with the concept of the fund, I do think the government should keep their fingers out of the pile of dough and leave it up to BP to handle the claims. There is no reason why the money can't be just left in escrow, BP pay the claims, and perhaps an audit of the funds, or an independent review bu thte government has no business getting involved in approving and administering these claims and this fund!!!!!!!!

June 21 2010 at 10:12 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
digityears

This compensation package has flaws - do the people who receive compensation, pay the frito lay vendor money for invisible food, or the truck driver from AZ who made daily routes to the region. Money is a trickle down or a trickle up - this compensation package is a trickle no-where. Why are the small people paying for BP's mess anyway - we should get our dividend. Take the money from the Executives salaries - why the pension funds and retirment accounts should suffer. Then there is a show tonight peddling for money - for blank sakes how much money do you think us small people have? Take my last $20.00 via text on the Larry show.

June 21 2010 at 9:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
duet2it

In the end, it will be the consumer who will pay for all this mess, so this commission better make sure the money goes to the right places and people.

June 21 2010 at 9:27 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
Curt

Hey, Ken Feinberg is the czar appointed by Obama to watch Wallstreet! Obama said it would be a independent company to administer claims. I specifically remember him saying that. How can one of his czars be independent?

June 21 2010 at 8:38 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Curt's comment
joeyhunglow3

He actually oversaw the 9/11 victims compensation fund NOT wallstreet!!!

June 21 2010 at 9:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cuer10va

As long as they pony up some tax records i say pay um

June 21 2010 at 8:24 PM Report abuse +7 rate up rate down Reply