Unemployment Benefits Expire: Your 5 Biggest Questions Answered

Add Comment Say Something  »
Print Text Size
A bill to continue an unemployment benefits extension, which was put in place earlier this year in response to the recession, was defeated in Senate last night. Millions of unemployed Americans will feel the result of the vote as soon as the end of the week. The current unemployment rate is 9.7 percent, far above the normal rate. Surge Desk answers five questions about the effects of the vote.

1. How does this change unemployment?
Unemployment benefits are offered to the unemployed for as long as 26 weeks. But earlier this year, Congress extended the maximum duration of benefits to up to 99 weeks. That extension expired June 2. The defeated bill would have allowed the 99 week maximum to last through the end of the year.

2. How many people will be effected?
Upwards of 2 million Americans will lose their benefits.

3. When will they be effected?
1.2 million Americans will lose their lose their benefits at the end of this week. By mid-July, as many as 2 million citizens will see an end to their benefits.

4. Who is still eligible for unemployment benefits?
There are 15 states that offer their own benefits extension, according to the Wall Street Journal. A list of those states is here. The newly unemployed can apply for benefits, but they will only last 26 weeks.

5. Who was against the bill?
All 40 Republican senators and one Democrat, Sen. Ben Nelson of Nebraska, used a filibuster to keep the bill from reaching a vote. Their reason was that it would increase the federal deficit, which is expected to soar to $1.4 trillion this year, according to DailyFinance.com.
Filed Under: Surge Desk

kenicu1968

This is a sad situation, I was unemloyed for 9 months before i founda decent job and i had to be on top of things,Resumes online is a joke, job fairs are a joke, you have to go in the field to get a job because your resume get cluttered with 100's of others and lost. i was getting broke on unemploment after i cashed in my 401k. Now with no benefits for others, 1 check is a major set back for anybody on unemployment. It's gonna hit the fan ifthis bill isn't pass.
(Prstitution,Theft, Robbery, Forgery, and maybe murder if their stomach growl loud enough !

June 29 2010 at 7:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sky12002

i'm glad the budget wasn't an issue when scott browns family needed help when he was young

June 28 2010 at 4:39 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
uclabruingirlv

Tisk tisk...I've been reading the comments here and find many like those posted by haze, Gary or Tracy, and nivek75 to be very insensitive. It is quite apparent that you or a loved are not in this unfortunate situation and cannot empathize with us "unemployed folks". We are not lazy, or deadbeats, or freeloading off the system as you mistakenly assume. Many like myself are professional, hardworking,educated, and mere survivors of this bad economy. I've been working since the age of 16, am a professional, have a college degree from a good university, and now find myself unemployed and cannot find employment because I am "overqualified". Oh, and FYI, I am on week 28 and never signed up in the first place to be on this 99 week train ride which you seem to think is all fun and games. I would much rather be working and receiving my previous paycheck, because honestly, who can live on 40% of their previous income? But actually no, it might be less, since it has been failed to mention that we unemployed receiving "benefits" still pay federal income tax from our "income". Be grateful and count your lucky stars you are not in the same boat or "train ride" with us. I do, however, now have more time to read interesting articles and comment to posts where some are ill-informed.

June 26 2010 at 5:29 PM Report abuse +12 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to uclabruingirlv's comment
tcomes8226

I am with you! I have been unemployed on and off for a year now....I would much rather be working and have a steady, real, predictible life and income. I do not have a degree but have been going 3/4 time non-stop(racking up the student loans which does scare me). I have an associates with a 4.0 and still cannot find decent employment. Pathetic.

I think i remember Ross Perot predicting this many many years ago....

June 26 2010 at 8:53 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
kaklee

So 1.2 million hard-working americans lose their unemployment benefits in June and 2 millions in July. How are they going to pay the mounting bills? How do they pay rent or mortgage, utilities, put food on the table to feed their families? Do you want to drive unfortunate displaced workers to insanity?
Who cares about budget deficits when you cannot put food on the table?
Tell the politicians who voted against jobless benefits not to eat when hungry and donate the meal money to the budget deficits.
Unemployed workers are hard-working americans who cannot donate millions to politicians like the rich people but they can vote and will NOT forget how they were mistreated by heartless republicans in times of need.

June 26 2010 at 4:54 PM Report abuse +6 rate up rate down Reply
Charles

This has nothing to do with helping people the Republicans are only trying to make this President look bad at any COST. RIGHT has no place when you hate something or someone. You just GET them, You hurt Millions to get one.This comes from people who SPENT money like it was no tomorrow. You can tell that by the WAY that party has VOTED in the pass for things that help the people hold on too the normal things in life. When you have those who don't worry about how to pay the rent, buy gas,buy food,buy shoes, medicine the BASIC things in life this is what you get. Those Senators who VOTED NO are Well Taken Care of, Their Pay check will continue "NO MATTER What", along with the Money they Get from others. When things start getting WORST watch them BLAME, The President. GOD BLESS, Bro CES

June 26 2010 at 4:29 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Charles's comment
mainaz57

This has nothing to do with helping people the Republicans are only trying to make this President look bad at any COST. Well... the so called "President" has no problem contemplating an executive action to help illegal aliens, but he sits on the political sidelines saying... it is the republicans fault people... If this sorry excuse for a President was a real one.... he would be doing something more to help Americans that are crashing in droves... living in woods and tent cities, commiting suicide.

June 28 2010 at 6:19 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Joanna Casteel

I feel so bad for all the people losing there income. Just think of the forclosures this will happen. I used to be so proud to be an American but I'm not anymore. How about we get out of that silly war and bring all that money back home.

June 26 2010 at 4:26 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
Olionz

Instead of the TEA Party (Republican Party in sheeps cloths) we should start the LIBERTY Party and get rid of the TEA Party!

June 26 2010 at 4:21 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Marilyn!!

This is not a free train ride for the unemployed!
The unemployed are paying dearly so contrary to the "American Dream".

June 26 2010 at 4:08 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
suchess

I know people that are on disability SS and there is nothing wrong with them. They could work just like you and me. I even called to report some of them and they don't want to hear about it. One of them only paid into the system for maybe 7 years and he gets 700.00 a month. I have been working for 40 years and my unemployment is all done. I would rather be working and paying my share like I always but when I apply for a job I never hear from them again. I might have to move out of my comfort zone and try to get a job in another state. This government is only out for certain people not the little guy.

June 26 2010 at 4:08 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to suchess's comment
mainaz57

I am in the same boat... probably the same age... Been trying other states for over two years... same obstacles...

June 26 2010 at 4:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
anniewheelr

What is stupid about this is that the Republicans offered a stand alone bill that would have extended benefits and taken the money from the stimulus money that hasn't been spent. This would have been deficit neutral (not adding to the national debt as the money has already been set aside).

The Democrats refused to pull out unemployment benefits from a gaggle of this, that and other stuff that had nothing to do with unemployment benefits but would have add another 60 to 80 billion dollars of debt.

We have already the money sitting there....why won't the Democrats free it up? What was in those 429 pages (unemployment only took up a small percentage of those pages) that the Democrats couldn't live without?

Time to write your Congressman and ask for a stand alone Unemployment Benefits bill paid for out of the unused stimulus bill. Paying unemployment will save more jobs (when the benefits are spent) than most of the other programs that came out of the stimulus bill.

June 26 2010 at 4:06 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply