Sen. Robert Byrd
, a Democrat from West Virginia, died at 3 a.m. Eastern time today at the age of 92. He had been in the hospital since last week. Below, the Surge Desk answers five important questions about Byrd.
1. Who takes Byrd's seat in Senate?
West Virginia Gov. Joe Manchin will appoint someone to take Byrd's seat until a special election is held in November.
2. When was Byrd last present in the Senate?
Byrd last voted on June 10.
3. How long did Byrd serve in the Senate?
For 51 years.
4. Who served longer in the Senate, Byrd or Strom Thurmond?
Byrd served in the Senate longer than Thurmond by three years. Thurmond served for 48 years.
5. How many votes did Byrd cast during his career?
Our New Approach to Comments
In an effort to encourage the same level of civil dialogue among Politics Daily’s readers that we expect of our writers – a “civilogue,” to use the term coined by PD’s Jeffrey Weiss
– we are requiring commenters to use their AOL or AIM screen names to submit a comment, and we are reading all comments before publishing them. Personal attacks (on writers, other readers, Nancy Pelosi, George W. Bush, or anyone at all) and comments that are not productive additions to the conversation will not be published, period, to make room for a discussion among those with ideas to kick around. Please read our Help and Feedback section for more info