GOP's Richard Burr Leads in N.C. Senate Race, but Not by Much

First-term Republican Sen. Richard Burr has an unimpressive 38 percent to 33 percent lead over Democrat Elaine Marshall, the secretary of state, with Libertarian Michael Beitler clocking in at 10 percent, according to a Public Policy Polling survey conducted June 26-27. Twenty percent are undecided. The margin of error is 4.4 points.

Burr also has less-than-stellar job approval numbers with 39 percent disapproving of his performance, 34 percent approving and 28 percent not sure of their opinion. But Marshall must contend with the fact that 58 percent of the state's voters do not know enough about her to express a favorable or unfavorably opinion, even after a hotly-contested Democratic primary and runoff race.

Beitler, a business professor at UNC-Greensboro, pulls in the 10 percent despite the fact that 83 percent don't know much or anything about him.

Richard Burr, Elaine MarshallWhen Marshall was still locked in her battle for the nomination against former state Sen. Cal Cunningham, the preferred choice of national Democratic strategists, she had the support of 65 percent of Democrats in a race against Burr, according to a PPP poll in early June. But even though she locked up the nomination, that has fallen to 57 percent. Burr is attracting the support of 14 percent of Democrats while getting 74 percent backing among Republicans (although that's down from 87 percent in the previous poll).

Burr, Marshall and Beitler are divvying up the independents (18 percent of the sample). Marshall gets 29 percent of their vote, Burr 27 percent at Beitler 26 percent, with 18 percent undecided. When it was just a two-way match-up in PPP's June poll, Burr lead among independents by 46 percent to 33 percent with 21 percent undecided.

"We are four months out from the election and with a fifth of voters undecided, it is anyone's game at this point," said PPP's Dean Debnam. "Both candidates, especially Marshall, need to increase visibility and energize voters to ensure their victory."

Follow Poll Watch on Twitter

80%

7 Comments

Filter by:
andrc657

These republican candidates have nothing to offer but MORE TAX CUTS FOR THE RICH. The democrats, imperfect as they are, have some good ideas.

July 06 2010 at 5:31 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
Big John

I live in North Carolina and I can tell you that Richard Burr has done nothing for this state except cause unemployment and pain. Hope he loses and gets a real job he might be good at.

July 06 2010 at 2:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Big John's comment
tara*

So true. He's voted no on everything that could benefit the state, citing his reluctance to approve new spending. However, that same "concern" didn't apply when he voted yes on his own pay raise. I believe we need to reign in spending, etc, but his party-line voting record has had an abysmal effect on the state and it's time for a change. I don't know if Elaine Marshall would be any better, but I don't see how it's possible for her to be any worse. I just hope enough thinking voters wake up and vote for themselves instead of their party come Nov.

July 06 2010 at 3:14 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Michael

LOL...only unimpressive when it the gop is winning...get real aol!!

July 06 2010 at 1:41 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
Katie

I think we will be seeing many democrats unseated- rightfully so.

July 06 2010 at 1:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Katie's comment
Big John

Richard Burr is a Republican and was right there voting with Bush on the war and the tax cuts for the rich. He is a part of the problem not the solution.

July 06 2010 at 2:16 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
tara*

What does that comment have to do with a Republican incumbent steadily losing his lead in the match up between him and his Democrat opponent? Perhaps you should quit being so eager to spit venom in the direction of all things Democrat and brush up on the details of stories like this before commenting. That's what's wrong with this country today. Everyone is so polarized politically, that half the time they don't even know who they are spitting venom at.

July 06 2010 at 3:18 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply