Exclusive: Marco Rubio Reacts to the Arizona Immigration Law Ruling

I had a chance to catch up with Florida U.S. Senate candidate Marco Rubio on Wednesday (video below).

We discussed several topics, but with today's ruling on the Arizona immigration law, I, of course, asked him about the federal judge's decision to delay implementation of some of the more controversial parts of the measure.

Regarding today's ruling, Rubio told me,
Just to be clear, I opposed racial profiling, and to their credit, the Arizona Legislature changed that law. And because they did, obviously that law is more palatable -- and legally more palatable. I think the decision today is important to understand, number one, why do we even have an Arizona law? And that's because the federal government hasn't done its job. And the second thing we need to remind ourselves is that the court hasn't thrown the law out. What they did was they basically postponed implementation until certain issues are resolved with it...I think at the end of the day, the law is going to be upheld. Arizona has a 10th Amendment right to provide for the public safety of their residents, and to do so by enforcing existing federal immigration law.
I also asked Rubio if he feared this law could hurt Republicans among Hispanic voters. Watch the video here:

Lastly, Rubio and I discussed Health Care Reform, Republicans in name only (RINO's), the Tea Party movement, and his favorite blogs. You can watch that here.

antipodal2u

Gotta love all the people against securing the border. I wonder, if alqueda comes thru mexico and blows up say L.A. will they then want immigration reform?

July 30 2010 at 10:47 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Tommy Thompson

If the illigal immigrants would obey the law and if Obama would enforce the law ... there would be no need for talk about so-called racial profiling.

July 29 2010 at 2:15 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
BobaLou

Someone please educate & enlighten me; if you can do it politely without obscenities and name calling. I don't understand the clamor about "racial profiling". Everyone says it's bad, I get that. What I don't get is how it can be avoided. In AZ, it would be considered "profiling" if police were to question a Mexican suspect about their immigration status, right? I don't see how the officer could help but not; I mean, I suspect most illegals coming from Mexico and Mexicans and not blond Norwegians named Sven. What is the officer supposed to do, look the other way or profile? I mean, what's next? I foresee a time when not only race but perhaps height, weight and hair color are "labels" we're not allowed to use. So if a person robs a bank the police aren't allowed to name the suspect's gender (sexism), race (racism), height (vertically challenged or dwarfophobia), weight (tubby hatred or skinny envy) or hair color (intolerance to preference); what shall the police say "Be on the lookout for someone who robbed the bank"? That describes no one and every one; where will it end? If I turn on a sports show from Japan to watch Sumo, I pretty much expect to find Japanese people. Am I guilty of profiling, and should hang my head in shame? I don't get it.

July 29 2010 at 10:46 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
amicusceo

The federal immigration law and the Arizona immigration have nothing to do with racial profiling, period. Nothing in either law specifies a class or race of people so playing that card is morally and ehtically wrong. Any person coming into the United States illegally should be jailed and deported. Human rights has nothing to with breaking the law. Playing that card is just as wrong.

July 29 2010 at 8:54 AM Report abuse +5 rate up rate down Reply
JOGGER123

of course this guy would oppose the Arizona law, but deep down, he is Cuban, I bet he would oppose also the end of "Instant Citizenship" to any Cuban that steps foot on American soil............, I am a Tejano, and I want to tell Obama something, we, so call "Latinos" are not all in step with you over illegeals, I repeat............ILLEGEAL IMMAGRATION", you do not speak for me, I and millions of us, Tejanos, love, serve the military, and fought gallently for this country, and for someone to come here, not to "work" as you would have us belive, but to actually LIVE HERE, w/no intentions of ever going back to Mexico because they know they will not be proscuted by being here illegeally.

July 28 2010 at 10:14 PM Report abuse +11 rate up rate down Reply