A couple of days after Senate candidate Sharron Angle said the media should ask only friendly questions
and "report the news the way we want it to be reported," more unusual quotes from the Nevada Republican are coming to light. In the latest, Angle said the country is "entrenched in idolatry" and entitlement programs are a violation of the 1st Commandment ("Thou shalt have no other gods before me").
Angle is challenging Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid in perhaps the most closely watched Senate contest in the nation. In her April interview with Rick Wiles of TruNews Christian Radio, she framed their competition as "a war of ideology, a war of thoughts and of faith. And we need people to really stand for faith and trust, not hope and change."
Las Vegas Sun columnist Jon Ralston
unearthed the interview. He provides two audio segments
and a partial transcript of what he calls her "startling rhetoric."
Among other things, Angle told Wiles that "these programs that you mentioned -- that [President] Obama has going with Reid and [House Speaker Nancy] Pelosi pushing them forward -- are all entitlement programs built to make government our God. And that's really, what's happening in this country is a violation of the 1st Commandment. We have become a country entrenched in idolatry, and that idolatry is the dependency upon our government. We're supposed to depend upon God for our protection and our provision and for our daily bread, not . . . our government."
She also repeated her view that in running, she is following God's plan for her. "I think it is a calling that God has on my life," she said. "I have watched Him walk with me through politics and help me to see the pitfalls of the political machinery, the seduction of the party, and even those outside the party, the lobbyists -- all of that to say that the Lord shows me daily where He wants me to walk."
Angle added that appropriately enough, she was just endorsed by a political action committee called Government Is Not God
. The group describes itself as "a real religious-right" PAC for social conservatives.
Angle has said repeatedly that she does not consider it a senator's job to create jobs. She wants to phase out Medicare and Social Security as government programs. She also wants to eliminate the departments of Energy and Education
and the Environmental Protection Agency.
The entitlements discussion was prefaced by Wiles saying 47 percent of Americans don't pay income taxes. "Half of the country is working to produce and pay the taxes and pay the bills, the other half is living off the taxpayers -- they're living off the other 51 percent," he said.
"We know that once we have a majority that are dependent upon the government, we will lose our freedom; it says we go into bondage. That's the next stage," Angle replied. "Our Founders warned against this. They said . . . that your liberty is only as secure as the people are. Because once they get the ability to vote themselves entitlements from the largess of the government, liberty is done; freedom is over with."
She added that "we have to take up our cry for freedom. And we can do it right now at the battle box, I mean at the ballot box. I'm not sure what continues on after 2010. I know people are very frightened about what's going on in this country."
For the record, the Tax Policy Center says it's correct that 47 percent of Americans didn't pay income taxes
in 2009 -- but then shows that it's completely wrong
to say half the country is living off the other half. Some 86 percent of Americans paid income taxes, payroll taxes or both, the group said, and almost all the remaining 14 percent likely paid sales taxes, property taxes or both. Most of those paying no income taxes were low-income seniors or working parents who make less than $20,000. The center said the 47 percent was unusually high because of the recession and the number should fall to 40 percent in 2012.
Update #1: Reid's campaign called the new interview a blockbuster
that suggests, "alarmingly," that Angle is engaged in "a holy war of sorts."
Angle's new communications director, Jarrod Agen, responded with this e-mailed statement (characterized by Ralston as "Reid thinks he's God
"): "Only the supreme arrogance of Senator Reid would believe that he has a divine right to rule over mere mortals by ramming through Obamacare, billions in reckless spending, and yes, buying cocaine for monkeys. The fact is, Reid has acted like he's all-powerful and accountable to no one. People are frustrated because, like Sharron, they understand Washington has become a giant, unseen, omnipotent force whose presence is felt in all our lives whether we like it or not."
Update #2: The complete Angle interview
is now available. Move the little ball 1.5 inches along the audio line to get to the starting point.
Follow Jill Lawrence on Facebook and Twitter