Beck Regrets Calling Obama a 'Racist,' Rules Out 2012 Run with Palin

Conservative talk show host Glenn Beck said after his Saturday rally at the Lincoln Memorial that he regrets once having called President Obama a racist who hated white people, and said "not a chance" when asked about the notion of a Beck-Sarah Palin presidential ticket in 2012.
Beck had made the statement about Obama last year on Fox & Friends during a discussion of Obama's criticism of Cambridge, Mass. police. Obama had said they had acted "stupidly" in arresting Harvard University professor Henry Louis Gates, an African-American, outside his own home after receiving a call reporting a possible break-in.
Glenn Beck"This president, I think, has exposed himself as a guy over and over and over again who has a deep-seated hatred for white people or the white culture," Beck had said. "I don't know what it is. This guy is, I believe, a racist."
Beck, who had been criticized for holding his event on an anniversary day of Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream" speech, was asked by Fox News Sunday host Chris Wallace in an interview conducted after the rally, "After that, do you have any credibility talking about reclaiming the civil rights movement?"
"It shouldn't have been said," Beck answered. "It was poorly said ... I have a big fat mouth sometimes and I say things, and that's just not the way people should behave. And it was not accurate."
Beck said he had "miscast" as racism what he should have attributed instead to Obama's attachment, as expressed in his writings, to "liberation theology."
"He is a guy who understands the world through liberation theology, which is oppressor and victim," said Beck, referring to the movement in the Catholic Church challenging economic, political and social conditions affecting the underprivileged.
Asked if he regretted his remarks, Beck said, "Of course I do."
Beck also brushed aside any talk in the blogosphere and elsewhere that the popular movements conservatives like he and Sarah Palin have launched might produce a Beck-Palin presidential ticket in 2012.
"Not a chance," said Beck. "I don't know what Sarah is doing. I hope to be on vacation. I have no desire to be president of the United States. Zero desire. I don't think that I would be electable."
"There are far too many people that are far smarter than me to be president," he said. "I'd like to find one with some honor and integrity. I haven't seen them yet, but they'll show up."

Comments

Comments are no longer accepted for this topic.
jf5138

Could you not please add that the message from the ralley was a Return to God? Of course in order to return to something would imply that you have alredy been there and I guess quite a few have not. I do agree with the theme of the ralley that in order for the country to go foward we must go back to our core values. Why just focus on a comment Beck said and has tried to clarify? Thank you, Jerry Keeney

August 29 2010 at 1:10 PM
jolmy

Barack Obama is a Christian, an American, a patriot, a uniquely American success story, a devoted father and husband, and our President. Criticize his issues or political views all you'd like, but people like Glenn Beck, who sell the most repugnant form of racism and hatred for anyone who doesn't look "American" (white) should be shunned by all of us with any hope for a UNITED states of America.

August 29 2010 at 1:10 PM
prezbob1914

Well, well how things have changed. Beck said something that made sense, his's making some truth, and I'm shocked. Maybe a miracle did happen, he admits he has a big mouth and gets a lot of thing wrong, Miracles do happen.

August 29 2010 at 1:09 PM
Davis Family

Just another loud mouth making millions from the ignorance of the religious. I'd put this A-hole in the same class as Falwell & Robertson pandering to the misled & stupid.To honestly believe this guy actually cares about the direction of America is to be oblivious to reality & the workings of the world. At least Obama has put his neck on the line & taken a pay cut to actually try to get things fixed even if some of his plans are ineffectual....he is gaced with probably the greatest mess any President has ver faced. In relation to the God thing....he doesn;t exist,it is a man made myth,just like the other 2500 Gods that have been worshipped by man since we walked out of our caves,just because you were indoctrinated as a child that here is a God doesn't mean it is true.

August 29 2010 at 1:09 PM
Tyranusex

Perfect example of a Christian.

August 29 2010 at 1:08 PM -2
Ceil

I don't think Glenn Beck should have had to apologize, people are still, I think and I may be wrong,able to express their opinions without being castigated. I thought we still had free speech, and again I may be wrong, in this country. I have heard so many worse things come out of the mouths of the Liberal left including the out cries of people who hated President Bush and called him a racist during Hurricane Katrina. I didn't hear anyone asking them to apologize. Some compared President Bush to Adolph Hitler, where was the outrage for that. Double standards and hypocrisy.

August 29 2010 at 1:08 PM
prezbob1914

August 29 2010 at 1:07 PM
Michael

You can have Pelosi, Gore, Reid, Biden and Obama.....Their over zealous outright sprint towards tolerating anything that remotely resembles originating from pop culture without looking at any of the ramifications makes me a true Beck Fan....HE IS NOT that gullible!! Nor should any of us be. I will not water down my beliefs for "popularity" in this world ...THIS is what Beck preaches...NOT tolerance ....but Integrity and Honor....

August 29 2010 at 1:07 PM
Bonnie

We are so cynical and used to people saying what they think, then backing down and saying it was a mis-statement, or they spoke un-artfully or some other politically-correct nonsense, that when a man goes through a transition, and his message changes from political to spiritual, like Glenn Beck, we don't recognize it or dare hope that someone influential in America is actually real, and has become a prophet of God, calling us to our higher selves to unite and work together to do what is right for our country! Glenn spoke without a teleprompter, and said that from concept to the Rally, it changed, and it's all about the partnership now of God and America, loving each other and loving God for the sake of our children, our future and our country. He will not run for President as that would cheapen his message: "Vote for me, I'm the spiritual candidate" We were fooled once by the false "Hope and Change" It isn't going to happen again.

August 29 2010 at 1:06 PM
dgilbert9

We absolutely must not forget that Glenn Beck is not a journalist! He is a commentator and talk show host. After just returning from Europe I had to explain to many who are amazed with those in the US willing to believe anything a celebrity/commentator says as fact! But of course, they have BBC and the Foreign Press to get valid credible information as opposed to someone who will say anything to get ratings!

August 29 2010 at 1:04 PM