Meghan McCain on Sarah Palin: 'I Do Have Conflicting Feelings About Her'

Meghan McCain, daughter of Sen. John McCain, appeared on "Good Morning America" Tuesday to discuss her new book, "Dirty Sexy Politics."

During her interview with ABC's George Stephanopoulos, McCain described the 2008 campaign as a "coming of age" story for her, and said that during her father's run for office she was "asked to leave and not come back." Ultimately, this led her to do her own bus tour. She blogged about the campaign at McCainBlogette.com.

Regarding her father's running mate, Sarah Palin, McCain said, "I do have conflicting feelings about her," but added, "We did not lose because of her."

She also noted, "I respect [Palin] as a feminist . . . as a Republican feminist," and added: "It's no secret that I'm more socially liberal than she is, but I'm here to say that two different kinds of Republican women can work together for the same cause."

During the campaign and after, Meghan McCain's stance on various issues (including support for gay marriage and criticism of the Arizona immigration law) have stirred displeasure among the very conservatives who are already skeptical of her father.

Now a columnist at The Daily Beast, McCain continues to write provocative columns that often draw the ire of conservatives. A revealing photo she Tweeted of herself last year also caused controversy.

In recent months, however, Meghan McCain has maintained a lower profile. Many observers speculated that the publication of her book was conveniently timed to occur after her father's reelection primary, in which he warded off a challenge from J.D. Hayworth.

In an excerpt of the book's introduction, McCain alludes to the fact that her parents may not approve of all her decisions, writing: "Would they really want me to have tattoos, swear on TV, or even write this book? Uhmmm. Maybe not."

But it's not just her positions that can stir up critics. Many conservatives (and others) I've spoken to view McCain as a "not ready for prime time" naif who was accidentally elevated to pundit status by virtue of her last name. Comparisons to Paris Hilton and Lindsay Lohan commonly follow, as do laments about the "celebritization" of politics.

On the other hand, I recently reported on young conservatives defending Ann Coulter's decision to speak at HomoCon, a gay conservative conference. Could it be that Meghan McCain will be remembered as a political trend-setter who was just a bit too far ahead of the curve?

Check out the video below:

Jimmy Bee

Megan McCain could be a rising star that helps bring the republican party back to some degree of sanity, if she loses that sickening valley girl accent! I still wouldn't vote for her or any other republican.

September 09 2010 at 2:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe

Does anyone care what Meghan McCain says, does or thinks?

September 02 2010 at 4:36 PM Report abuse +7 rate up rate down Reply
aef624

Meghan McCain is defenitly a "new" kind of Republican. She is a relatable person that has really voiced the new generation of Republicans opinions and makes politics interesting for a teenager. She is a colmintaion of firsts and an inspiration to others, in both parties. I think the Republican party needs someone like Meghan to really pull it out of it's dying state and inform kids that there isn't only a democratic side to the story even though news stations make it seem like that.I think Meghan McCain wil make a great politcain one day.

September 01 2010 at 6:12 PM Report abuse -9 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to aef624's comment
halfmoon

A Politician ? Don't hold your breath and it won't happen in your lifetime..No responsible and respectful conservative would ever support her "off the wall" comments...

September 03 2010 at 2:46 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
bthered

I love it..."A new kind of Republican" I'm an Old Man and I've watched the Republicans reinvent themselves in almost every election. Only to find out that they are still owened and operated by the same big money corporations that don't pay any taxes....and continue to suck the life out of America.

September 06 2010 at 11:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeanne

I've listened to several of her interviews over the last couple of years and I think she is geting way too much press. She really doesn't seem to have answers on anything other that social issues and then she fluctuates. Would she be where she is today if her last name wasn't McCain??

September 01 2010 at 1:54 PM Report abuse +12 rate up rate down Reply
janim28

meghan you have so much to learn...your father is a wonderful patriotic man just not presidential material in my opinion. but sarah palin is a born leader and stands for the TRUTH. i would vote for her --twice if allowed. i am so proud of her. MIKE HUCKABEE AND SARAH OR GLENN BECK AND SARAH. what a great return to REAGAN days that would be and to the day of a GREAT AMERICA as we used to be or in other words GET BACK TO GOD.....

September 01 2010 at 1:49 PM Report abuse +5 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to janim28's comment
bthered

Return to the Regan days.....Now thats a good one...People like you need to spend some time reading about the Regan Days....If there is anything I don't like about Obama it's because He's to much like Regan... Trust me, The Regan Days were not the Good-Ol-Days that FOX Noise claims them to have been.

September 06 2010 at 11:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JoAnn Garrett

I like and admir Meghan McCain. She speaks her mind and I agree with her on many things she says. I think it is great that her parents respect her enough to accept it as well as they do. I also admire Cindy McCain. She is beautiful, generous and very smart. I am a big fan of both of these women. I did not vote for John McCain and never will but I also deeply appreciate his service and sacrafice for our country.

September 01 2010 at 1:23 PM Report abuse +6 rate up rate down Reply
mimsysc

I may not agree with megan on some issues, but comparing her to lohan and hilton, who are just stupid, makes no sense.

September 01 2010 at 1:18 PM Report abuse +13 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to mimsysc's comment
halfmoon

Of course she is not Lohan or Hilton, they are well to do and well known..If Meghan did not have McCain after her name she would be another Kate Gosselin !!

September 03 2010 at 2:48 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
brucelmair

I don't believe Meghan is ahead of the curve, the republican party is looking in the rear view mirror and doesn't see the curve they are entering.

September 01 2010 at 1:08 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Julian Russell

Meghan is a very attractive and fortunate young lady. But she is no match for a Governor Palen. She lives the life of luxury now and needs to experience some of life's hardships and life without money, maybe then she can compare herself with Governer Palin.

September 01 2010 at 1:06 PM Report abuse +6 rate up rate down Reply
ettu

It is always amusing to have my opinion reaffirmed, that the wealthiest Liberals are always the ones speaking so loudly about giving what those of us less financially blessed have earned, to the even less fortunate. Obviously, they know so little about the rest of us that they are unaware we already do that, on our own, without their preaching and mandating and entitlments. I do not see any single one of them divesting themselves of all they have, until they reach the level of the so-called middle class, so they can truly understand what they are talking about. Ms McCain is simply a young person who has not experienced life as a less than wealthy person, and perhaps she will gain understanding as she ages. As it is, most of us who are Right leaning moderates do not find her to be on the same page. Her father, Sen McCain, has often given a lot of us dispesia, but I would support this man until the end of his days, or mine, whichever comes first.

September 01 2010 at 1:04 PM Report abuse +9 rate up rate down Reply