Sarah Palin's Unwanted Neighbor, Author Joe McGinness, Leaving Alaska

Joe McGinniss, the best-selling author who moved in next door to Sarah Palin to get the scoop for a book he is writing about her, is packing it in after three-and-a-half months in Wasilla.

McGinniss said he's leaving his rental home on Sunday, satisfied that he didn't have unpleasant encounters with anyone in Wasllla, except perhaps Sarah Palin's husband, Todd. He said the locals were for the most part willing to talk about their former governor and mayor, and offered him small gifts, ranging from blueberry pies to handguns, the Associated Press reported Saturday.
Author Joe McGinniss
His arrival in May inspired the Palin family to build an addition to an 8-foot board fence in an effort to block his view of their lakeside home. It also got him a visit from Todd Palin. "As I told Todd back in May -- he came over to get in my face about moving in there -- I said, 'You're not even going to know I'm there. A lot of the time, I'm not going to be here. and when I am, I mind my own business. I don't care what happens on your side of the fence. That's not why I'm here.'"

McGinniss said he got off on the wrong foot with Sarah Palin when he wrote a 2008 magazine story, called "Pipe Dreams," that minimized her role in securing a natural gas pipeline project for Alaska. He won't say what's going to be in his new Palin book, but he gave a hint in an interview with the AP. Palin "presses a button," McGinniss said, "and what comes back is hate... I got some of the ugliest, most vile e-mails directed at me, my grandchildren, my children, my wife -- just ugly, ugly stuff."

There was no immediate response from the Palins' to McGinniss' departure, or his comments, the AP said.
Filed Under: Humor, Media, Energy, Sarah Palin

cec0916

I wonder how this "author" would feel if someone writing a trash novel about him and his family moved in next door to his family. It's clearly an intimidation tactic by a thug that uses ink to hurt his victims while making money off hatred for them. The lowest form of parasite around. Karma baby, karma!

November 14 2010 at 4:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
katie01967

How can any author go to Alaska to learn about the State and its former governor and then leave without ever seeing a snowflake fall? He pretends that moving next door to the Palins was a coincidence and "he didn't care what happened on their side of the fence" -- obviously a total lie. He lived there hoping to catch a member of their family in an unguarded moment so he could exploit it and blow it out of proportion.

September 10 2010 at 6:03 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
whiskers

I understand the hate mail thing. During the Presidential election I lost most of my friends. Most of them were friends of 30 years or more. This happened because I would not agree that Obama was a Muslem and that he was the Anti-Christ. Needless to say they are all Radicals about Religion and most of them Republicans, although not all. I have other issues with the President but those two items are not in the mix..

September 08 2010 at 8:52 AM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
Booba20

I keep reading that Sarah Palin quit the Governor's office because she wanted to become famous and wealthy making speaches and writing books. Well.....what's wrong with that. Does McGinniss not wish he could make money writing? I seldom read the other side of her reason for leaving the Governor's office... regarding all the expensive law suits the left wing nutts cost her and the state. She also said that it was not fair to the people of Alaska for her to remain Governor while she had to devote so much time fighting the liberals; but that is never addressed in their comments.

September 07 2010 at 6:31 PM Report abuse +10 rate up rate down Reply
Shirley

Mr. Joe McGinniss my hat off to you! Putting up a 8 ft fence is mild compared to what Sarah Palin would do if in the White House. Sadly there is no way to lock her in her own backyard! The whole Palin family has made a circus of their lives since she ran with John McCain. Can you imagine what they would do, if the trailer park trash was allowed in to the White House?

September 07 2010 at 7:44 AM Report abuse -16 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Shirley's comment
Miss Bridget!

Trailer park trash. Nice. Lets run down everyone who doesnt have a house. How about the homeless next?

September 07 2010 at 6:03 PM Report abuse +7 rate up rate down Reply
eloise

Is anyone really interested in this woman? What difference does it make? I would never buy a book about her or even get it from the library.. Got better things to do.

September 06 2010 at 12:31 PM Report abuse -4 rate up rate down Reply
eloise

I have a hard time understanding why anyone in their right mind would support Sarah Palin. I am waiting for her fifteen minutes of fame to be over. I am not a liberal or a conservative but somewhere in the middle. I just can't stand her. P.S. I am 80 years old and my brain still works. I do the Sunday New York Times Crosswords so I have at least average intelligence.

September 06 2010 at 12:27 PM Report abuse -11 rate up rate down Reply
tracer2524

Sounds like typical thug mentality from Todd Palin a guy who was blind to his daughter getting impregnated under his nose plus the defective genes floating about within.

September 06 2010 at 12:27 PM Report abuse -20 rate up rate down Reply
Laurel

Palin makes money peddling trash every day in her books and high paid speeches. She bailed on the people of her own state so she could make as much money as possible on the lecture circuit with garbage like phony righteous indignation about how everyone is "demonizing BP." Let her go clean up the oil herself if she loves BP that much. She knows fully well that being a public figure, especially one constantly spouting controversial nonsense, will subject her to public scrutiny by the press. That's what a free press is about. If you don't like McGinniss's book, don't read it. I know I will never read any book by Palin.

September 06 2010 at 12:25 PM Report abuse -9 rate up rate down Reply
kris

I understand that authors need to not only make a living, but to investigate their subjects. However, I think that no matter what side of the political fence you are on there should always be respect among the peers. I do not see how renting a house for three or so months and asking about Sarah Palin is neccessarily the most important item on today's agenda. I am all for freedom of speech, but there is a limit to respect given and taken. We have more important items that need to be addressed in todays' society. Let's get started with those.

September 06 2010 at 12:06 PM Report abuse +8 rate up rate down Reply