GOP Government Shut Down? John Boehner Says 'Not the Goal'

House Minority Leader John Boehner said Thursday that a repeat of the 1995 government shutdown would not be on his agenda if he becomes the House speaker in November, despite such a warning by a Georgia lawmaker last week.

Rep. Lynn Westmoreland (R-Ga.) told the Faith and Freedom Conference that Republicans would require the support of conservatives should the GOP need to take extreme measures to enact its agenda. "We have put Band-Aids on some things that need to be cleaned out. That is going to take some pain," he said. "If the government shuts down, we want you with us."

But when Politics Daily asked Boehner if he supports Westmoreland's suggestion that the GOP could shut down the federal government in the future, Boehner said, "Our goal is to have a smaller, less costly, more accountable government here in Washington, D.C. Our goal is not to shut down the government."

But that doesn't mean that the Republican leader is willing to get on board with the policies of the Obama administration, especially the health care reform law passed earlier this year. Boehner vowed to dismantle the law by choking off funds to implement it.

"I am committed to doing everything that I can do and our team can do to prevent Obamacare from being implemented," he said. "I believe this bill will ruin the best health care system in the world and I believe it will bankrupt our country. Now when I say everything, I mean everything."

On Wednesday, Democratic National Committee Chairman Tim Kaine called the GOP suggestion of shutting down the government "reckless and dangerous."

"It's an extreme position of obstruction that's not going to do anything but take us backwards," Kaine said.

Twice in 1995, the federal government stayed nonessential services when Congress and the White House could not reach agreement on the federal budget.

linda

I hope they do everything within their power to stop Obamacare and if it means shutting down the government so be it. It might be a good thing since the dems. seem to be turning everything they touch into a mess. Go John

September 18 2010 at 6:14 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
pattaylore

If you don't believe that entitlements of all sorts will be reduced and we will all feel financial pain, you haven't been paying attention. The sad reality is the US cannot continue to accrue debt and pay for entitlements forever. It will come crashing down. Better, in my opinion, to begin to let things find bottom slowly and reduce spending and the size of government now than be forced into the same sort of harsh realities Europe is dealing with. No Democrat or Republican can miraculously fix this. Printing money and borrowing from foreign nations to prop ourselves up is a losing proposition. We cannot spend our way out of this with more and larger government intervention. Maybe the Tea Party philosophy has it right. And if the Republicans embrace them, then that's where my vote will go.

September 16 2010 at 7:44 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
wbaird721

This is when I wish we had a credible minority party. I voted for Obama and am not happy with all that has been done. But noone, certainly not the tea partiers or the don't do anything republicans currrently have given me any options...any ideas. Opposing everything and trying to make everything afraid is a common get elected strategy, but does nothing to solve any problems for the public.

September 16 2010 at 7:19 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
sftommy001

Small Business can't afford health care so their employees die when they get sick. Seen it happen out here twice so far with full time workers and no health care. Republicans are giving the poor the choice to die or upend society. Time for the wealthy to pay their fair share, no more multi-millionaires paying zero in taxes!!!!

September 16 2010 at 6:58 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
patriciaholy

Republicans are in dream land, they are so sure they are going to win those houses.lol May I remind the right that we have our memory full of 8 years of stagnation? do you underestimate the intelligence of the American people? Do they think we are fools?

September 16 2010 at 6:24 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
rockywalter2327

"I believe this bill will ruin the best health care system in the world" He really needs to stop repeating this lie. Just because he says it constantly, doesn't make it so. We are ranked 17th in the world. Where we are ranked number one is the amount we spend per person on health care. Bloggers can give all the snarky replies they want, it still doesn't change the truth. We do not have the best health care system in the world. Research it. Better yet, show me statistical proof, from a non partisan entity, we do have the best health care in the world. I'm open minded. Show me proof and I will retract my words.

September 16 2010 at 3:57 PM Report abuse +7 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to rockywalter2327's comment
wolfsonnydiane

only those who havent ever had to put to serious use our healthcare system would think we have the best healthcare system

September 16 2010 at 4:43 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
rockywalter2327

"take extreme measures to enact its agenda." What is their agenda?? So far all I've heard is they plan on opening various investigations (at a cost to us..the tax payers), repeal the healthcare bill and make sure the wealthy keep their tax cuts. Is their something of substance in their agenda I am missing? If you reply, please give specific, documented, examples. I am very open to looking at both sides, as long as the information is based on actual facts.

September 16 2010 at 3:48 PM Report abuse +8 rate up rate down Reply
Andy

If the Republician party decides to shut down the govt., the action would be of great harm to many. As a Senior on SS and MC, it could become a disaster. I was planning to vote mostly for GOP candidates, but if this is the course of action by these politicians, I am having second thoughts. Perhaps Americans should just vote out all incumbents and let fresh leaders take the reins. It appears that neither the Republicians nor the Democrats have the interest of the people and the nation at heart. If I do vote GOP in November, and the GOP proceeds to shut down govt. I will be voting differently in 2012. Our elected representatives need to remember that they are elected by the people, they represent the people, and they work for the people. Political party have become a menace to the U.S. and its people. Might be time for "A REAL CHANGE". No Republicians nor Democrats. Just honest people who really want to serve the voters.

September 16 2010 at 3:18 PM Report abuse +6 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Andy's comment
wolfsonnydiane

Andy you do know that all the tea party candidates want to end social security and medicare as well as a lot of republican candidates just listen to their speaches

September 16 2010 at 4:00 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
judazim

I'm so with you, Andy! I worked and paid all due taxes for 45 years and count on SS and MC now,
especially following an ill-advised 2nd marriage in which I was relieved of my life's savings and
investments by a self-serving felon -- not in divorce proceedings but by stealth, embezzlement, and you-name-it variations of fraud.
I used to vote Republican, believing in less government and the capitalist economy. After all, we
were the leading country in the world with a never-before-known thriving middle class! Today the Republican
ideology -- whatever it is, is not being vocalized, except in a bottom-line determination to oust Barack
Obama by whatever means conceivable -- is not immediately applicable to the complex problems
facing our country, arrived at by mismanagement of both parties and the business sector, namely
the global banking cartel at whose mercy we now exist! I have neither a ready answer nor solution -
and apparently have lots of company herein! One thing I sense in my aged gut and informed opinion,
is that
the vocal Republican community -- further demised by the Tea Party rants -- doesn't either!

March 04 2011 at 11:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply