'Values Voters' Pick Rep. Mike Pence for President in Straw Poll

Rep. Mike Pence (R-Ind.) came out on top of a presidential straw poll held at the Family Research Council's Values Voter Summit in Washington this weekend. Pence also won the straw poll for vice president.

Pence, who received 24 percent of the vote, edged out former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee -- a favorite of social conservatives -- who received 22 percent.

To those who view Pence as primarily a fiscal conservative, his victory over Huckabee came as a surprise.

But Pence, who spoke to the group on Friday, is a strong orator who isn't afraid to share his socially conservative values. Here's what I wrote about Pence about four months ago:
Pence is beloved by fiscal conservatives and social conservatives alike. Having heard him speak many times, it's clear he's not afraid to invoke Christian imagery in his speeches. If Huckabee doesn't run, Pence could fill the Huckabee niche.
Pence, a member of the House of Representatives, may also have benefited from the attention Congress is getting these days, as Republicans appear poised to take back the House.

Via ABC News, here are the full results:

Rep. Mike Pence, R-Ind. (24%)

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee (22%)

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney (13%)

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich (10%)

Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin (7%)

Former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum (5%)

Sen. Jim DeMint R-S.C. (5%)

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal (2%)

Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels (2%)

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (2%)

Sen. John Thune, R-S.D. (2%)

Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell - 1 percent

Former Florida House Speaker Marco Rubio (1%)

Rep. Paul Ryan, R-Wis. (1%)

Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour (1%)

Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas (1%)

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer (less than 1%)

80%

120 Comments

Filter by:
avbysandy

The PROBLEM w/ "Family Values" (Pence) voters is they want only THEIR values for everyone! I do get sick of all the TRASHY stuff going on BUT that kind of INTOLERANCE is NOT America.

September 19 2010 at 9:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

In responce to Hershberry: This country was not formed on religious beliefs. Christian or otherwise. I believe your confusing the founding fathers with the Pilgrims. The Pilgrims came here to escape religious persecution yes. From the Catholic church of England. They were prostestants, but they did not form this country. The country wasnt officially founded until July 4th 1776 when 56 men signed the Declaration of Independence. Freedom of religion doesnt mean freedom to be a christian ONLY. It means nothing if it also doesnt mean freedom FROM religion. On top of everything else, the Constituion is the ONLY document that represents any laws of this land. And you could read it from top to bottom and you wont find the words God, jesus, or christianity ANYWHERE in there. If you need more proof I suggest you google the "Treaty of tripoli" It's a doc that clearly states that the united states is NOT A CHRISTIAN NATION. People like really upset me, trying to take over the country that so clearly explains in the constitution our religious freedoms. "Congress shall make no law respecting the establishment of religion, nor prohibiting the free exercise thereof" That means that the Gov will not kiss the butt of any specific religion over another, or pass laws that force people of OTHER religions to live their lives according to your beliefs. Nor will it get in the way of you doing your day to day business, or try to outlaw your religion. YOU ARE FREE TO BELIEVE WHATEVER YOU WANT. Just like I'm FREE to not believe in any idiotic gods or saviours. Just because you THINK this would be a better country if it was 100% christian and run by the bible instead of the constitution doesnt mean it would be, or will ever happen. Those of us with intellect will never allow our country to return to the dark ages of the inquisition and the crusades. Your time is over, deal with it. Our nation is in trouble because of corporate greed, not because of whose having sex with who. You worry about your relationship with god, I'll worry about keeping a man elected who cares about ALL americans, not just the select few. Mr editor...I've taken out all the dispariging comments. Please dont violate my freedom of speech rights

September 19 2010 at 12:32 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
handmg

Speaking as an Independent voter it appears that the Republican Party spear headed by the conservative movement will make major gains in Congress in 2010 and might even take the White House in 2012. However, if they start pushing a religous agenda they will soon loose any gains that they have made. The Republicans have gained Independent support mainly because of fiscal concerns. Any push towards implementing their exterme religous and social fervor on main America will result in their being bounced from office the next time around.

September 19 2010 at 11:41 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to handmg's comment
legshivers

As a left leaning Christian Independent, I don't view the GOP's views on religion as extreme, I view them as an alternative to anything-goes liberalism. Americans can never be forced to accept any religion, and you can support the fiscal conservatism of the GOP and not any religious stances, just as you can support various Dem stances and not extreme liberalism. Independents understand that both parties have great things to offer our nation, and that neither is always right and never will be.

September 19 2010 at 12:05 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
cger529577

I am not a republican, but if I were my vote would be Romney, hands down.

September 19 2010 at 11:34 AM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to cger529577's comment
Mik's $ Toy

Romney is a Mormon who doesnt believe in the trinity and that Satan is a brother of Jesus!

September 19 2010 at 8:11 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
lucyod

Huckabee would be the salvation for this Country if he had a smart Congress to work with. He is honest, sincere, smart, great moral values and has common sense which our present leaders seem to lack. He beleives in the flat tax and would do away with Income Tax which is a complete mess thanks to the Internal Revenue Service. It would be a more fair way of of producing Federal Revenue.

September 19 2010 at 11:21 AM Report abuse -5 rate up rate down Reply
Rocco

In my opinion, if the Republicans are going to regain the White House, there is only one person for consideration and that is Condoleesa Rice. She knows the world stage, she is articulate, well versed in current world affairs and she fits the image of total decorum, intelligience and leadership. I don't even see her listed amongst the contenders in your article. She would have total support of her former administration, thereby garnering fiscal support as well as bi-partisan backing. She also happens to be a woman of minority background which would bring in support from the Black community as well as most women organizations. In all circles, she upholds the virtues of our nation's founders while exemplifying the ability to take on new concepts with a Professor-like absorption, (which is, of course where her background is solid). She owes no one for past political favors. Think about it...... America would be lucky to have such a formidable candidate!

September 19 2010 at 10:19 AM Report abuse -4 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Rocco's comment
cmdrhlamb

she would be a better choice than anyone listed above......i see your point....

September 19 2010 at 11:13 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Rick

Even if Mike Pence should happen to be a good citizen/legislator who refuses to let religious beliefs become law, and is open and accepting of equal rights for all U.S. citizens, and clearly understands the complete separation of church and state, his endorsement by the Family Research Council makes it unlikely I would be able to support him in any political race. Of course the very endorsement makes it highly likely he doesn't believe in those things.

September 19 2010 at 10:17 AM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
joe1464

Like most readers you have never heard of Mike Pense? Actually, it's Mike Pence and most of us have heard of him. Apparently, not yourself, but you have now, and this guy is awesome!!!

September 19 2010 at 10:04 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to joe1464's comment
rahgolf

Joe the think the word is awful!

September 19 2010 at 2:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
parrl4

if you dont want the same old junk ... then Ron Paul is the man for the job... he believes in the Constitution & FOLLOWS IT ! What wrong with people he want to get rid of IRS ! Still people vote the same old thing into office and complain for 4 years and see that it always get worst . Ron Paul hasnt voted for once for a raise that congress get and they do behind the people back . You finally get a man of character , intergrity , honest and tells it the way it is . He has been right one for years telling us what is truly going on with Washington DC . The 2 party system is the same prostitute with different markup . Go research Ron Paul and see what the man is made of ... He cant be bought and sold . The rest of the candidates are clowns and not many of us seem to be laughing . Ron Paul is a man Americans need at the top running the ship !

September 19 2010 at 10:01 AM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
Bob

This is an ABC News poll, you don't think they have a bias do you? You rate Sarah Palin as fifth in your poll, I think you better come up to date and look again she is the leading endorser in the Republican Party and "Tea Party" movement. If Sarah endorses someone they get the nomination. Someone is playing games with your poll figures at ABC. Start telling the truth and get some credibility.

September 19 2010 at 10:00 AM Report abuse -5 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Bob's comment
JOE

Rep. Mike Pence (R-Ind.) came out on top of a presidential straw poll held at the Family Research Council's Values Voter Summit in Washington this weekend. Pence also won the straw poll for vice president. Read the article not ABC's poll. Palin will help those nominated but would never win.

September 19 2010 at 10:15 AM Report abuse +8 rate up rate down Reply
Ken

Bob, may I respectfully suggest that you re-read the article? The poll was conducted by the Family Research Council, hardly a "Liberal" group. ABC news merely reported the results.

September 19 2010 at 3:53 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply