Obama Heckled by AIDS Activists While Campaigning in New York City

President Obama was heckled and interrupted by gay activists -- shouting "broken promises" and "fund AIDS" -- during a campaign-style speech in New York where he was raising money for the Democratic Party.

The president told his critics -- a handful in an audience of several hundred at a midtown Manhattan hotel -- that the government has "increased AIDS funding." But he was interrupted again by the same woman. "We listened to you, we heard your point," he said, according to a White House pool report. ". . . It's a conversation I'm happy to have." But he could have added "not right now, please."
AIDS activist heckles Obama in New York
Obama faced similar disruptions during speeches at fundraising events for Sen. Barbara Boxer in California last spring. In New York, demonstrators for years have loudly demanded more government money for AIDS treatment and research at events for politicians from both parties.

On Wednesday night, Obama also dealt with a man who was apparently angry over the Senate's failure to repeal the military's ban on gay men and lesbians openly serving in the armed forces. "Don't ask, don't tell," the guy shouted during the president's speech. Others chanted "Obama, Obama" to drown him out. At that point, the president departed from his stump speech. "We need your energy and enthusiasm," he said. "This young lady here, she wants an increase in AIDS funding. . . . I'm sure we could do more, if we're able to grow the economy again." As for DADT, "I said we should reverse it."

Rob & Kathy

More of Obama's falsehood. George Bush spent more on AIDS research than any past President....

September 24 2010 at 11:10 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Deborah

I don't know what they're complaining about. The budget of the NIH for next year (2011) will give more money to AIDS research than to heart disease, although heart disease kills more people in the U.S. every single year than the total number of AIDS deaths since the beginning of the epidemic! Seems to me the most money should go to the disease that is killing the most people. The stats for the highest incidents of death are: 1)Heart disease 2)Cancer 3)Stroke 4)Chronic Lower Respiratory Disease 5)Accidents 6)Alzheimer's 7)Diabetes 8)Influenza & Pneumonia 9)Nephrosis 10)Septicemia 11)Suicide 12)Liver disease 13)High Blood Pressure 14)Parkinson's 15) Assault (homicide). These are the top 15 killers in the U.S. and AIDS isn't even one of them, meaning it accounts for less than half of one percent of deaths, and yet AIDS get a disproportionate share of the funds. Political? You bet!

September 24 2010 at 12:43 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
mount carmine

DONT BLAME THE CONSERVATIVES OR THE TEA PARTYERS FOR THIS DEMO. IT WAS THOSE WHO WERE INFECTED WITH AIDS AND OTHER VENERIAL ILLNESSES.

September 23 2010 at 10:03 PM Report abuse +6 rate up rate down Reply
shakesome

OBAMA: "she wants an increase in AIDS funding. . . . I'm sure we could do more, if we're able to grow the economy again." Translation: I need billions more for another stimulus package for the economy. Maybe this time it will work. If it does I'll give you a cut. If not, sorry. If I do get my stimulus bill passed, hey there's free money for everybody there. Free!! At least for my FRIENDS. So stop heckling me and go heckle the Republicans to give me my money. (And since when did 'grow' become a verb in this context?)

September 23 2010 at 10:02 PM Report abuse +8 rate up rate down Reply
Steve and Nancy

Just ignore him.

September 23 2010 at 9:54 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
MaryHunter

Accept responsibility for your behavior. A B S T A I N

September 23 2010 at 9:44 PM Report abuse +13 rate up rate down Reply
ellafrodgers

If we would take the time to really listen, read, and reflect; we'd realize that the president has kept promised amid dealing with unforeseen emergencies. How self-centered, petty, and tunnel-visioned we are. We behave as spoiled brats; he got something and I want the same or more. We are beginning to behave as a nation of unlearned, unfeeling people. The man is a human being with feelings. He has been so determined to help the oppressed, but the masses are only concerned with themselves and their personal interests.

September 23 2010 at 9:32 PM Report abuse -13 rate up rate down Reply
ajschrod

I've never seen a president get so mistreated, and I go back to Roosevelt. So many special-interest groups have been encouraged to pick on Obama by The Rush Limbaughs types, who have insulted our country by doing so. The majority of us saw a horrible administration get voted out, and this man seemed to represent the changes we needed. That he has disappointd us shouldn't deserve the crude and rotton treatment he is experiencing at the hands of every imaginable naysayer is disgusting. The GOP has refused to help the country they were elected to govern by snubbing him, and I say shame on them-- Vote him out, but be DECENT about it!

September 23 2010 at 9:30 PM Report abuse -35 rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to ajschrod's comment
brdchurch

I am fairly certain that all of these posters gleefully see this as an unfriendly attack on the president;however, I can assure you that the GL community would NEVER support the other party.

September 23 2010 at 9:29 PM Report abuse -8 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to brdchurch's comment
rrngfork

Maybe they should!

September 23 2010 at 9:45 PM Report abuse +12 rate up rate down Reply
shakesome

Who care what the GL community wants? Tired of your agenda to shape the country according to your narrow interests. Police your own community and stop the promiscuity, sex with strangers and rampant drug use. And don't ask me for more money until you do.

September 23 2010 at 10:16 PM Report abuse +6 rate up rate down Reply
mesesmom

More money for AIDS? Why? Do we not know already how it spreads? Do we not know now to avoid infection? I'm sorry, but in MOST cases, AIDS is a completely preventable disease. Let's invest our money in other diseases with unknown causes and little treatment, rather continuing to reinvent the wheel on AIDS. If we (as individuals) were conscientious and responsible in our actions, we could eliminate AIDS entirely within a generation.

September 23 2010 at 9:26 PM Report abuse +34 rate up rate down Reply

FEATURED VIDEO

Discover inspiring videos on TEDWomen where people are reshaping our future with ideas.

View the Video »