O'Donnell Talks to Mainstream Media, Wishes She Hadn't

Christine O'Donnell, the surprise winner of Delaware's GOP senate primaries last month has been avoiding the press since her victory over party favorite Mike Castle shocked poll watchers. As the candidate's quirkier past incarnations and incantations began getting wide circulation, and Republican party officials distanced themselves from her campaign, political journalists have been getting stonewalled in their efforts to interview the Tea Party phenom. On Thursday, O'Donnell broke her undeclared boycott of mainstream media to talk the New York Times' Mark Leibovich about "her journey to conservatism," but by Friday her campaign managers were probably wishing she hadn't.
Leading with "liberal laughingstock and perhaps the embodiment of a can-you-top-this-for-bizarre," the paper of record used this first opportunity to question the candidate to note she displayed the "upbeat personality of an aerobics instructor." The column also introduced readers to O'Donnell's family (her father, Daniel, "worked a series of small television roles before scoring his signature gig - playing Bozo the Clown" and her sister, "Jennie, a lesbian who ... has moved temporarily from Los Angeles to help on the campaign," is a "self-described expert in the 'healing arts'").
In response to recent reports about discrepancies in O'Donnell's education and background, the Times informed readers that in her youth the 41-year-old unmarried candidate "planned to become an actress and had a series of romantic relationships" ("I by no means was a slut," she told Leibovich). She also experienced her political awakening as a College Republican ("What I discovered is that I have opinions.")
Hard pressed, apparently, to write anything substantive about the elusive candidate, the Times closed the 1300 word interview with this reassuring tidbit: "She did surprisingly well on a chemistry exam, ... which emboldened her to take a class in Japanese, which she said she aced."

Bud

it is good to have a teapaarty or any other party which has views not attacking other people, but telling us what their solutions for health care, jobs, women's rights and trying to persuade the congress that increasing their salaries every year at midnight is preventing the deficit from being reversed. people who are conservative used to have a say helping the middle class move up the ladder. unfortunately they have shoved aside and only the richk are prevailing. if you are interestilng in helping the middle class, you have my vot. bud is my bame

October 03 2010 at 12:34 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
rayjaywright

In 2008 I voted for McCaine because, as I said repeatedly to my friends, "he's the closest we have to a Republican running this year". So, if I lived in Delaware I'd vote for O'Donnel to try to get the 50 GOP votes we need in the senate. But if she loses I won't really care after she tried to explain away her "witch" past by saying she was just trying to help Bill Maher get some ratings. The ironic thing is Maher couldn't wait to help derail her campaign by digging up her "witch" past as acknowledged by her on his show. She doesn't show a whole lot of commone sense or good judgement but a vote is a vote and if she wins she and her cauldron will be caucusing with the GOP.

October 03 2010 at 1:31 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
nantin20

Let's get serious here, this lady doesn't have an idea in her head other than what is put there by the right wing nuts. She makes one mistake after another. She is not the least bit honest but she is the candidate of choice for some people in Delaware. I feel sorry for her as she has been used. I read some of the texts on here and it scares me how many people call this woman honest. Cheat on taxes, cheat on education, misuse campaign funds and gets by with telling the world that she dabbled in witchcraft. I would love to see more qualified woman run for office and win but she is not the one I could vote for. I resent being put in the position of voting for the lessor of two evils, but in this case I have no choice. What a shame and what an opportunity for a change this could have been but I pass on this candidate.

October 02 2010 at 10:50 PM Report abuse +7 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to nantin20's comment
Kenneth

Part I have to agree with you,but as for your description of her and comments about her honesty. that should be more of a reason to vote for her she would not feel like an outsider if elected. She is an angel compared to what is already in Washington.

October 03 2010 at 7:19 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
alpambuena

this is just a continuation of how mainstream news treats conservative women, by degrading their families, and making a major production out of every little tidbit of information....you never hear too much about the liberal women, maybe once in a while, but over all you do not know that much about them...i dont think the mainstream media is that relevant anymore, as their readership is in the tank, and the liberal news shows are the same.

October 02 2010 at 10:25 PM Report abuse -6 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to alpambuena's comment
christierandall

Oh give me a break...this woman opened freely opened her own mouth and inserted her foot...more than once. Please do not blame the media...they are just reporting the news...it is their job.

October 03 2010 at 2:50 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
Maggie

Hey you people out there! Each person who has ever been in Congress or is now in Congress had to be there for the FIRST TIME. At least this lady is telling us the truth about herself, which we didn't get from the president. Why not give her a chance to help to make our country the way WE want it? I say give her a chance because, we need someone who will vote for and listen to the public.

October 02 2010 at 9:46 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
sfox1020

I think if you compare Christine Odonnell's record to her opponent in a fair manner, you will see that she is the best candidate. At least you know she is not a lap dog. Ken

October 02 2010 at 9:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gene Frye

Of course the left conveniently refuses to remember or care that in the 2008 elections, the Democrat candidates blatantly refused to go on Fox News because it wasn't a "legitmite" news source.

October 02 2010 at 9:39 PM Report abuse +7 rate up rate down Reply
Guam Betty

O`connel is just as qualified as any of those running for office in her state. So tell us you smart people--- did any politician, past or present become an OVER-NIGHT sensation first day on the job??? I think not!!Hmmmmmmmmmmmm?

October 02 2010 at 9:37 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
Gene Frye

I am sure you missed some other disparaging remarks about Christine O'Donnell. Surely you can make her look worse than this. And I'm pretty sure this won't be an "acceptable" comment, so don't look for it to run.

October 02 2010 at 9:32 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
Guam Betty

Right on cheleav! The "LEFT" is exactly all that you say but that`s all ok I guess when it`s the Liberal left!

October 02 2010 at 9:27 PM Report abuse -8 rate up rate down Reply

FEATURED VIDEO

Discover inspiring videos on TEDWomen where people are reshaping our future with ideas.

View the Video »