Schwarzenegger Endorses Charlie Crist for Senate in Florida

Showing that independent-minded governors of sunny coastal states ought to stick together, Arnold Schwarzenegger has endorsed Charlie Crist for Senate in Florida.

The California governor tweeted his backing Tuesday while traveling in Europe.

"I endorse Gov @charliecristfl for Senate. Great leader, works with both parties, and our country needs someone like him in DC right now," Schwarzenegger wrote on his Twitter page.

Crist tweeted back: "@Schwarzenegger – I'm honored to receive your endorsement. Thank you for the kind words my friend."

Later Crist released an official statement underscoring his appreciation for the Governator's support, Miami's New Times reported.

"Governor Schwarzenegger has led California through extraordinarily difficult times in a bipartisan way. We have worked together on such crucial issues as reducing climate change and promoting alternative energy. I'm honored to have the support of this independent leader," Crist wrote.

The two governors have a lot in common. Both were moderate Republicans who found themselves alienated by their increasingly conservative party.

Crist ditched the GOP in order to run as an independent for Senate. He's trailing Republican Marco Rubio, the Tea Party favorite.

While he's endorsing candidates across the country, Schwarzenegger has yet to announce his support for one of the candidates vying to replace him. Republicans wonder if he'll back the GOP's Meg Whitman, Democrat Jerry Brown, or just not make an endorsement at all.

farrellclan4

Even though I am a Republican I dont agree with this.

November 09 2010 at 10:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Elizabeth

I couldn't care less what Arnold says. It is interesting to note that Arnold is supposedly a Republican but votes more in line with the Democrats and that Crist was a Republican, voted Democrat and became an Indie when he saw he wasn't going to win as a Republican. I would not be surprised if the Democratic party is funding him to stay in the race and hopefully split the votes. My vote is for Marco Rubio.

October 13 2010 at 5:31 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Rob & Kathy

What do people in Florida care what Arnold says?...

October 13 2010 at 12:16 PM Report abuse +5 rate up rate down Reply
Rob & Kathy

if Arnold has done such a great job why is his approval rating about 27% in California?...

October 13 2010 at 12:14 PM Report abuse +5 rate up rate down Reply
georgetroll4

It is great to see Ahnold cheering for one of the last moderate republicans left in the US of A

October 13 2010 at 11:50 AM Report abuse -7 rate up rate down Reply
Chris

When is Arnold up for reelection? I may move to California so that I can vote him out of office.

October 13 2010 at 11:22 AM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
cmlvirginia

I met Preaident Reagan. Swarzie is no Reagan - and Crist is just another Arlen Spector - a person who believes the most important thing is keeping HIM in office as the moral imperative does not serve the people. This is is not the Crist Senate Seat as there was no Kennedy Seat or a Biden Seat. Let's put in dog catchers, high school graduates, retired Marines and just "folk" as the Founder's desired - It is time for more than Small Change!

October 13 2010 at 11:16 AM Report abuse +7 rate up rate down Reply
Mark Roy-Brooks

Here's the lowdown on what is happening here in CA. I believe Arnold did try to make a difference on his first term when he tried to pass many reforms. But with a mostly Democratic Legislature, not to mention hundreds of millions of dollars that the unions spent against him, Arnold didn't stand a chance. Since then, he's mainly been a lame duck. California is going down the tubes because of liberal leadership. Many outside the state would be surprised to know that the majority of the state, outside of the major cities of San Francisco and LA, is conservative. Unfortunately, there's a heII of a lot of liberals in those urban areas. I'm voting for Meg this year, but unless we get a big change in the Legislature, not much is going to change. We can see what a great job the Democrats have done to this state!! Don't let Florida go down the same track. And btw, I was born and raised in Florida.

October 13 2010 at 11:07 AM Report abuse +9 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Mark Roy-Brooks's comment
dccwest

What would Meg do about that whopping debt in Calfornia? I know she's running on tax cuts to get elected but she'll never cut taxes. Meg knows that will just cut revenue even more.

October 13 2010 at 11:21 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Mark Roy-Brooks

DC, Meg won't be able to do anything unless the Legislature changes. She'll be fighting an uphill battle against them, not to mention union money. But do we really want a totally Democratic government, like we do in the Federal now? You think the taxes are high now, what will happen then? At least Meg might balance against the Legislature doing any more damage. I might be wrong, but I believe Meg will also do more to bring businesses back to CA. Since I've lived out here, every company I worked for was based outside of CA because of all the taxes they had to pay. Bring the companies back, that'll bring jobs back. Besides, do we really want a governor that was known as "Moonbeam"?

October 13 2010 at 11:59 AM Report abuse +7 rate up rate down Reply
joyceafrancis

Well, this convinces me -- I will NOT be voting for Crist -- I know from personal experience how bad a governor Schwarznegger is -- so this just reinforced my belief in my vote for Scott. Besides all the negativity, one thing is clear and true -- Crist had a job -- governor -- he wanted something else -- well, not from me will he gain another job. Let him finish the one he was elected to.

October 13 2010 at 11:00 AM Report abuse +11 rate up rate down Reply
bemahuron

I don't think any of us living here in Florida care who Arnie endorses. Crist is fighting a losing battle. My sense of it is that most folks just generally seem to like Rubio. His message plays well here and most seem as comfortable with him personally as you can be with anyone running for an elected office. My guess is that he smokes Crist and Meek both on election day.

October 13 2010 at 10:53 AM Report abuse +16 rate up rate down Reply

FEATURED VIDEO

Discover inspiring videos on TEDWomen where people are reshaping our future with ideas.

View the Video »