Christine O'Donnell Regrets 'I'm Not a Witch' Ad

Wish I hadn't said that.

That's the sentiment Delaware Senate candidate Christine O'Donnell expressed Thursday on national TV when she said a TV campaign ad in which she declared, "I'm not a witch," probably backfired and focused more attention on her controversial comments a decade ago.

"I haven't publicly stated this, and I don't know if I'll get in trouble for saying that, but our intention was to kill it and that's not what happened," she said in an interview on ABC's "Good Morning America."

O'Donnell, a conservative Republican who has been endorsed by Sarah Palin, had aired the ad in a bid to tamp down controversy over her remarks in 1999 on Bill Maher's "Politically Incorrect" show that she "dabbled" in witchcraft as a teenager. "I never joined a coven," she said back then.

In banter at the close of her ABC appearance, O'Donnell was asked what costume she would wear for Halloween: "I certainly am not going to be a witch," she answered. Maybe Dorothy, the young heroine who battled the Wicked Witch of the West in "The Wizard of Oz."

"Kill the witch," she said with a laugh.

In the interview aired Thursday, O'Donnell defended statements she made about the First Amendment and the separation of church and state in a debate earlier this week with her Democratic opponent, Chris Coons. The actual words -- separation of church and state -- do not appear in the Constitution, she said.

Esteban!

The Republican Party Good Old Boys harpooned this lady. They need to get a clue.....if they don't, either, they will all be replaced in the next 4 years or
the GOP will die on the cross.......not to rise on the 3rd day, either.

Karl Rove - I love him, but he is wrong on this one.

December 27 2010 at 9:55 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Esteban!'s comment
Dennis

I think you are confusing Republicans and Conservatives. If the GOP "dies on the cross" as you say, it doesn't mean a thing. We have 2 parties that behave the same way except for some bickering on a few issues. Conservatives are in both parties as much as the Denocrats hate to admit that their party has almost as many conservatives as the GOP. The point is if the Conservatives in both parties voted the same way we would probably see the GOP and the Democrats come together as one party.

January 02 2011 at 11:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mbc90210

I can understand as a republican woman in her mid fifties, Christine is playing both sides "I am not a witch" and her comments about God. It is very obvious why the GOP is not spending money one this woman who giggles her way thru interviews. She needs to get her act together and try again with more experience in a few years. Truly the witch stuff indicates immature behavior and is staying with her. She needs to understand Americans will vote for the person with the lesser of heavy baggage and she has tons of baggage.

October 25 2010 at 9:46 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
relay391

she's not my favorite but....koons says "i voted for obamacare but it needs to be amended" why not amend it then vote for it? does this mean you voted for something you don't believe in? or did he say--let me ram this down your throat and we will tweek it later? no--i don't think he gets my vote

October 21 2010 at 11:52 PM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
bthered

That's O.K. Christine...none of us believed you.

October 21 2010 at 10:27 PM Report abuse +5 rate up rate down Reply
carlowmom

You go girl and I hope you win!

October 21 2010 at 10:05 PM Report abuse -4 rate up rate down Reply
James Gray

I'm glad that so much conversation has come up on this site about the Constitution because of a candidate who knows absolutely nothing about it.

October 21 2010 at 8:22 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
ramblingman214

What does a candidate's belief that "seperation of church and state" is not in the constitution, have to do with Obama, community organizing, or health care? This is the problem with political parites. She is not being judged based on her attributes but being judged based on our own political beliefs. FACT is the statement "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof" is the definition of seperation of church and state. If she can't decipher that simple fact, she probably is not a good candidate. Obama, Bush, community organizing, watergate, have nothing to do with the fact that she does not undertand the meaning of a statment in the constitution. Again, I don't fault her for not knowing. I fault her for persisting she was not wrong when she clearly was. And that, my friends, has nothing to do with political parties.

October 21 2010 at 8:06 PM Report abuse +7 rate up rate down Reply
Cindy

boatr35 I believe that the so called Tea Party of today would be Redcoats in sheep clothing compared to the original Tea Party. They are selling out America by protecting the millionaires & billionaires for out sourcing jobs because of GREED & POWER so there egos can make themselves American ROYALTY.

October 21 2010 at 8:02 PM Report abuse +6 rate up rate down Reply
mooncop1

Are any of them currently in congress any good? Look at the shape they have got this country in. All of the blame lies at their doorstep.

October 21 2010 at 8:00 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
hairhofla

I was born in the middle of the Eisenhower Administration and have seen a lot of political campaigns over the years since I had national politicians and military leaders in my family and I grew up inside the "beltway" in Northern Virginia.....I have never seen a national campaign adopted by many within a party that touted ignorance as a political virtue until the Tea Party came around...and it's frightening to watch....

October 21 2010 at 7:59 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply

FEATURED VIDEO

Discover inspiring videos on TEDWomen where people are reshaping our future with ideas.

View the Video »