Tea Party Group Releases Congress Members' Cell Phone Numbers

Some newly elected Republicans may have overflowing in-boxes and many voice mails this week, after a tea party group released the personal e-mail addresses and cell phone numbers of freshman members of Congress.

The leader of the Tea Party Patriots sent an e-mail with the private information to supporters, urging them to contact the GOP Congress members to make sure they stay on the tea party course and avoid being being "co-opted" by Washington insiders, Roll Call reported Friday.

Jenny Beth Martin accused the Claremont Institute, a conservative think tank, of purposefully scheduling orientation programs this weekend that conflict with similar events by her tea party groups.

"We need you to call & e-mail these incoming Congressmen & tell them you want them to attend YOUR Tea Party Patriots event," Martin wrote.

Her message was also posted Thursday on IronMill.com.

"The water in the Potomac is infected with the politics of the past and needs to be boiled to be cleansed and then steeped in fresh tea," Martin wrote. "You are the fresh tea. Today we need your help."

Rep.-elect David McKinley (R-W.Va.) told Roll Call he has received calls from tea party members on his personal cell phone.

"I guess I'm going to have to get used to this," he said.

Claremont Institute President Brian Kennedy told Roll Call he's been receiving harassing calls and e-mails.

"After a mass e-mail was sent out calling for Tea Party members to harass me, effectively, I have received many nasty and threatening calls saying we should 'stand down' and that 'they have my number,'" he wrote in an e-mail.
Filed Under: Tea Party

80%

84 Comments

Filter by:
mbc90210

This is so funny, seriously, we need to call before they change their numbers and they will! Remind them who voted for them and now they must do what the tea party asks! Are you not glad that we live in a free country, where democracy rules, and privacy laws exist.

November 13 2010 at 4:29 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
gwlvs2ski

So to the Dude who wrote this story....Wait! This is not a news story! Their phone numbers and emails should be public.........they are "public servants"! (This is 2010, its pretty easy to have another private number and a private email for all other stuff)

November 13 2010 at 4:09 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
quesign

If the Tea Party honestly believes that the recent election is a reflection that the country wants to move in one direction, they are mistaken. What the public is trying to get across is that we want a government that works together. Not a government that immediately states they are going to try to undo the health care bill. The first focus should be getting Americans working again. If they failed to work together, the next election will be different.

November 13 2010 at 3:38 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
polonia

So, where can I obtain the cell phone/email list? And also those of the main TP leaders?

November 13 2010 at 3:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dugerman85

I think the tea party is swell. I think Sarah Palin is smart. I think the Chicago Cubs will win the World Series next year. I hope this wasn't too controversial to be posted.

November 13 2010 at 3:14 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
mchrist452

I very much appreciate the new approach to comments. I appreciate hearing different opinions and sides to issues, but despise the hate so many post. Parties aside, we should all be doing what we can to go for the "win-win" situation...we are all Americans. It does not mean one must give up their personal values. Companies and organizations spend millions on "teamwork" building. Talent alone does not make a winning season; teamwork is critical. Why should we expect less of our elected officials? We need to let them know what we want, but in a civilized manner. Personal cell phone numbers and e-mail accounts are off-limits. I don't want my employer deluging my home phone and e-mail with work related issues. It takes time, but I get personal answers to many of the letters I write my representatives. The "lunatic fringe" is out of hand. It is horrific what is being done in the name of "Christianity". I am a Christian. To me that means to follow the teachings of Christ...unfortunately most of what I see is just the opposite.

November 13 2010 at 2:53 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Mingo

Did ever notice politicians are always calling us for money or telling us how to vote. I did not give them my number yet they got it hard line or cell and we are on the no call list

November 13 2010 at 2:48 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Tiffany

hey, it's about time they felt "harassed" a little bit! They've been harassing us with their crap laws for years and people are tired of it. Half the time you have to go through so many different people to get a message to an elected official that it never actually reaches its destination. People need a direct line to their representatives and senators instead of having to go through a bunch of red tape to reach them.

Commodore Mike

It always amazes me how citizens confuse facts and reality. This is not about the Tea Party; this is about illegal phone harassment. Threatening phone calls are a legal matter to be turned over to the authorities to investigate and prosecute as necessary. Have we become so polarized we can no longer sort the “forest from the trees” ?

November 13 2010 at 2:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hello Bill !

I would certinally like to know when our elected offiials will respond to the loud and clear message that was sent to them in this past election.. If they didn't hear us, Stop Spending, Stop Ear Marks, get it together now

November 13 2010 at 2:46 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply