Sen. John Kyl Says He'll Block Vote on Nuclear Arms Treaty With Russia

Sen. John Kyl (R-Ariz.), the No. 2 Republican in the Senate, said Tuesday he would block a vote on a new arms-control agreement with Russia, at least until the next session of Congress begins in the new year, The New York Times reported.

Kyl's decision is a setback for President Obama, who had hoped to sign the New Start treaty, one of his major foreign policy undertakings, before the end of the year.

"When Majority Leader Harry Reid asked me if I thought the treaty could be considered in the lame-duck session, I replied I did not think so given the combination of other work Congress must do and the complex and unresolved issues related to Start and modernization," Kyl said in a statement obtained by the Times.

Kyl said he would continue to work with White House officials for a possible vote in 2011.

New Start would scale back U.S. and Russian nuclear arsenals and put back into place mutual inspections that ended last year. It's the first part of the administration's long-term plan to eliminate nuclear arms globally.

The Times said the administration would continue to push for a vote over the next month anyway, despite its diminished chances.

"Given New Start's bipartisan support and enormous importance to our national security, the time to act is now, and we will continue to seek its approval by the Senate before the end of the year," Vice President Joe Biden said in a statement.
Filed Under: Arms Control

80%

24 Comments

Filter by:
dorite54

There we are Republicans not wanting to work to solve problems. This is an important bill and the GOP are simply delaying a vote.

November 20 2010 at 1:29 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to dorite54's comment
eweg85

"AN important bill" ? You fool ! There "IS NO BILL"! No full disclosure of terms, no nothin'. Senators are elected to advise and consent. This should not be another "midnight raid" ! O'Rack's FULL disclosure has never materialized. This is not his failure to communicate. It's his niavete and stupidity not to consult the elected Senators for "advise and consent".

November 21 2010 at 8:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Helen

Yes, war is what we like. Keep killing, keep spending money on weapons that kill. Blow up the entire world, and go to church on Sunday. Oh I forgot when you get to heaven you can join the terrorist who are raping virgins.

November 17 2010 at 6:06 AM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to Helen's comment
John Vilvens

I have not read the treaty. But I have seen what Obama foriegn policy has been. America is sorry for everything we have done. America has done nothing right by Obamas own admission. The trade agreement that bush had in place with south korea obama redid. Now we have no agreement. Everything Obama has done in foriegn policies is questional. So why would anyone trust him on this. He always seem to be on the wrong side or get the short end of the stick.

November 17 2010 at 5:47 AM Report abuse -4 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to John Vilvens's comment
PAULA

John , buddy ,pal, he does not seem to be on the wrong side he is on the wrong side, and once the American people wake up to see what he's really about, then hopfully he will be gone. You know some one way back in history once said that we would be distroyed from with in. I believe he was the leader of Russia at time. Look it up I believe I'm right.

November 17 2010 at 10:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
regybear

These dirty bums on the right have recommenced their torpedoing of the Obama administration now that the 2010 election is over no matter who gets hurt. How much longer can America tolerate their destructive populism?

November 17 2010 at 12:04 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
joe

Are we supposed to ignore the fact that Russia will be helping Hugo Chavez to go nuclear in our own back yard??? Obama is just the most incompetent President in history . He took down the missile shield when Russia balked and lets Russia help Venezuela with a Nuclear power plant. That is exactly the way Iran got to be the threat that it is today.

November 17 2010 at 12:01 AM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
Gib

Maybe while no inspection are happening a rogue Russian faction looks to sell a nuke.......nice job

November 16 2010 at 11:33 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
virpilosus

The foto of Mr Kyl tells me everything I need to know...Would you buy a used car from this guy???

November 16 2010 at 11:14 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to virpilosus's comment
PAULA

No, but I would buy a new one.

November 17 2010 at 10:51 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
eweg85

A"foto" ! It tells you "everything ?? A neophyte college student expresses another foolish blurb.

November 21 2010 at 8:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ajschrod

Holy cats-- Is the GOP ever wrong on THIS issue! It's easy to find fault with the Generals that run the military, but this treaty is positively the best and most fair that we can hope for with Russia. The new congress must wise up and realize that Obama and the Dems didn't do EVERYTHING wrong!

November 16 2010 at 10:31 PM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to ajschrod's comment
mgoulet297

One of our former presidents said that we should walk softly and carry a big stick. Our nuclear arsenal is our big stick. If we disarm, the rest of the world, which outnumbers us, could beat us to death with baseball bats. We used the weapons once and have never had to (had to) again. Go figure.

November 17 2010 at 7:00 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Ed

I don't think that anybody in the world that's armed with armed only with is actuall dumb enough to consider taking on a country that has over 1,000 nukes, (with possible exception of a lot of the people posting here on these boards). But even if their were, they'd never stand a chance if they actually tried to it.

November 17 2010 at 8:22 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
thefreemangroup1

Who has read the treaty? I see lots of comments.

November 16 2010 at 9:59 PM Report abuse +6 rate up rate down Reply
thefreemangroup1

I support Kyl. Disamanament is just like gun control. If we get rid of ours then only the rogue elements will have them. America needs to remain the strongetst country in the world. If we reduce our nuclear arsenal how we defend ourselves with China when we default on our debt.

November 16 2010 at 9:57 PM Report abuse +12 rate up rate down Reply