House Says No to Another Extension of Jobless Benefits

About 2 million long-term jobless Americans most likely will see the last of their unemployment benefits this month after the House failed in a bid to extend the compensation program for another three months.

The emergency legislation needed a super-majority of two-thirds to pass. But it fell short as 11 Democrats joined most Republicans in opposing it. In an interview on MSNBC Friday, Vice President Biden called defeat of the bill a "giant mistake" and said unemployment benefits are stimulative, allowing people to spend money in the market place.

New York job fairBut foes said the latest extension was not financed through cuts in other programs and would cost the Treasury $12.5 billion in additional borrowing. Even if the bill had passed the House, it would have faced an uphill climb in the Senate.

"I think it's a sad moment -- it appalls me that the Repaublicans keep pitching and pitching the tax cuts for the rich and won't join in a bill to help people keep their homes and not have to live in their cars," Rep. Alan Grayson (D-Fla.) told the Huffington Post. Grayson was defeated earlier this month in his campaign for reelection. And for the record, 21 Republicans voted for the extension.

With the unemployment rate stuck at 9.6 percent, Congress could try again on a jobless extension bill after the Thanksgiving break.

jeanette

Fellow Americans- I am a social worker from a poor state- KY. And I bring news that is not so good. The average age of a social worker in KY is 50 Yrs. We cannot keep young Social Workers as the wages are so low (if they can find a job at all with 10% unemplyment in KY) and they cannot pay their student loans and support themselves on the low wages plus the stress levels and case loads continue to climb. I can tell my fellow Americns that there will be riots, fires, and a rise in property/violent crimes if the working poor and the margalized in America are pushed to the edge of desperation in the middle of winter with out unemployment or benefits of any kind. As a social worker on the front line, people are getting DESPERATE and if history repeats...(read about the great depression) Folks, there are many out here that are armed, they are dangerous and coming to a 'hood' near you.

December 02 2010 at 2:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
robertkrosky

But it's ok to keep the wars going,explore space,bail out banks,AIG,General Motors and who knows what else.God help us.

December 01 2010 at 9:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gary

it is very sad to see american citizens treated this way by their own peers especially this time of the year

December 01 2010 at 7:32 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Calela

What kind of world is this, what kind of America is this that so many people are unemployed, you would think with all the technology we have that there would be plenty of jobs for everyone, and the bill to continue unemployment benefits is blocked? Why, to create more crime it's just not black on black crime anymore. You would think that in order to boost the economy, especially around the holidays, which I don't like holidays anyway, there would be unemployment extensions given. Although, I would pay bills instead of going shopping, but other's will shop I'm sure. I have a family and my temporary assignment ended August 2007, I haven't been able to find a job since, my savings is dwindling, I'm hopeful that I'll find another job soon, but if I don't and all hope is lost what do I do, become one of those who can't take it anymore and resort to drastic measures, and when my story is heard or read, someone out there comments on how I should've asked for help before I did this or did that. So I am asking for help, and with technology the way it is I can be found and helped. My kids have an air mattress for a bed, no TV, computer or DVD player in their rooms, no dressers or chest, I have an old kitchen set that my father and step mother had in their kitchen when I was 15. It makes me depressed when I think of how I can't afford any new furniture. Drastic measures..... sure looking good to me right now, I hate I was ever born.

December 01 2010 at 9:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rick

Cutting unemployment will only hurt the US economy. What do they thing they are doing?,we pay them and they shaft us.They get pay raises every year.( they meaning Congress an Senate) If you don't get a check,then see about filing for bankruptcy, I think you can keep your house if you contunue to pay if you owe on it, or if you do not owe and own it and I THINK you can keep your cars. You do not have to bankrupt on everything. Run you credit cards up and but canned foods and other stuff that is nonperisable.Then keep getting what you need that is vital to you and then stop paying on them for more than 3 months. I THINK it has to be 3 months behind on your payments, go with Chapter 7 if you still can, and that will wipe out everything you owe.Charter 11,13 you will have to pay back in payments.and you do not have to go bankruptcy on eveything. Some one come in and tell me if this is right.

December 01 2010 at 7:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Noel Martin

Why do we not revive the CCC's of the 1930"s and also the WPA, There is a lot of clean up of cities anf foressts that needs to be done, Folk could work and not just sit and collect, It would be good for those willing to work and also get a lot done for the muney. People woulg gat a feeling of worth again.

November 19 2010 at 12:45 PM Report abuse +18 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Noel Martin's comment
Bill

nomar127, thats about the wisest thing I've ever seen posted on here.

November 19 2010 at 4:51 PM Report abuse +7 rate up rate down Reply
lucyod

Many of those have milked the system for 99 weeks. A normal length was 26 weeks which many construction workers lived off all winter in my state. If you need to feed your family and keep a roof over your head, you eill find work. Those who can't don't want labor jobs which is below them. Enough is enough and if they really need help they can go to Social Services for welfare and food stamps.

November 19 2010 at 12:37 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
5 replies to lucyod's comment
malcolm

Democrats would pay people not to work and tax people that do work and pay taxes. And they wonder why they lost so many seats in Congress. Charlie Rangle's behavior makes the rest of them look honest!

November 19 2010 at 12:35 PM Report abuse +6 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to malcolm's comment
mikersales

Apparently you don't know that unemployment is taxable.

November 19 2010 at 1:54 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
ettu

Would I like to be rich? Pretty sure I would like it, but I am very happy with my family, my friends, my community. I do not envy the "trappings" of the rich. I am not willing to make the sacrifices that most wealthier people have made (some inherited their wealth, and have no idea how to earn an honest buck through their own hard work)for material gains. These things just do not justify taking me away from my family and simple life. Enjoy what you have, do not envy the material excesses of others, life turns out to be very short and you want to know you took the time to live it well.

November 19 2010 at 12:14 PM Report abuse +9 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to ettu's comment
moorediversified

Folks, when the dollar collapses don't sit with a sign begging for food beneath a high rise building. The people who had all those dollars with now no value will be jumping out of the high windows. They will land on you and kill you too. You're already use to having nothing while they don't want to live that way. Sit out further away from the high buildings. You'll live to eat their food.

December 01 2010 at 1:26 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Tom

Something is wrong when the top 1% of the population make 25% of all personal income! It is not that they have achieved at that level at all, it's because the tax laws of this great nation are skewed in their favor. Yet they will complain that 49% pay no taxes at all. Wonder if they would take the challenge to live at the level those 49% do? You can bet all of your exemptions they won't even try.

November 19 2010 at 11:43 AM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply