Jobless Rate Creeps Toward 10 Percent; White House Says More 'Bumps' Ahead

The unemployment rate crept toward 10 percent in November and "more bumps in the road" are ahead, a top White House aide warned as the Labor Department reported that employers added only 39,000 new jobs last month.

"No question the report is disappointing," Vice President Joe Biden said Friday after the numbers came out. The jobless rate climbed to 9.8 percent, inching up from October's 9.6 percent and leaving 15.1 million Americans without work.

"An unemployment rate of 9.8 percent is unacceptably high and we need to achieve robust employment growth in order to recover from the deep losses that began over two years ago," said Austan Goolsbee, chairman of the White House Council of Economic Advisers. "Although the overall trajectory of the economy has improved dramatically over the past year, there will surely continue to be bumps in the road ahead, such as this."

The addition of 39,000 non-farm jobs was a disappointment when compared to the 172,000 positions added in October. But Goolsbee accentuated the positive: Private companies created 50,000 jobs (offset by losses in other sectors), continuing 11 straight months of employment growth. Overall trends over the past two months have been "encouraging," he said, but not strong enough to turn around the jobless figures.

In the short-term, Biden said it is imperative for Congress to extend emergency unemployment benefits, which expired for many job-seekers last month. "It must be done before they leave town," he said.

Follow Tom Diemer on Twitter http://twitter.com/tomdiemer

ettu

More bumps? Well, thanks for the heads up, Mr President. I am certain you will have plenty of gifts under your tree this year.

December 03 2010 at 9:00 PM Report abuse +8 rate up rate down Reply
Darin

If you lost 100k jobs and created 39k....that is a loss of 61k jobs....how can that be a positive?

December 03 2010 at 5:07 PM Report abuse +11 rate up rate down Reply
Darin

Alot of my contracts will be up soon and I will be cancelling my cell phone, tv, and taking my car insurance to bare minimum, and my last CC will be paid off next month...this country's leaders, both Republican and Democrat can kiss off!!!!! with them 2 bickering like children about the tax breaks and neither side will budge and point the finger blaiming each I will vote nothing but Independent come 2012...I am totally fed up with both sides..........

December 03 2010 at 5:04 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Darin's comment
ettu

Equally important as voting in the general election is voting in the primaries. If you don't vote in the primary, your candidate might not make it to the ballot for the general. Seems like many citizens (not saying you) are not aware of the importance of primaries, and tend to sit them out.

December 04 2010 at 9:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jamie Warren

And they want to give amnesty/dream act to how many illegals.

December 03 2010 at 3:49 PM Report abuse +17 rate up rate down Reply
tistolaugh

It seems the president is rarely at the White House working, so I for one am not at all surprised. Yes, I know he "works on the road" but all the endless appearances and speeches he makes nearly daily take a huge amount of his time any way you dice it. And it seems the media and his strong supporters would rather he is talking the pretty talk than walking the hard walk.

December 03 2010 at 2:50 PM Report abuse +13 rate up rate down Reply
hardav9

I don't know about the country as a whole but in my household my 22 year old son and his 63 year old mother just got jobs. Both of these jobs were added to the economy, one in the government sector the other in the publishing field. Another friend just got an interview and will most likely be hired after two years of underemployment. A relative who lost her job due to budget cuts in education, got two part-time jobs. I hope things will be looking up for others. For those less fortunate, I hope that the Congress will extend unemployment benefits and pay for them with the roll back of the Bush tax cuts for the rich. Multimillionnaires do not need a tax break. Happy Harriet

December 03 2010 at 2:37 PM Report abuse -14 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to hardav9's comment
tistolaugh

Unfortunately the job ads in our large city remain quite dismal and there simply are no jobs. It seems to be getting worse, not better, and these rising jobless numbers bear that out.

December 03 2010 at 3:07 PM Report abuse +11 rate up rate down Reply
tmchp771

Will go for them....I just lost my job...in the medical field as a direct result of Obamacare. This country is screwed up economically. Leave things to the private sector and we would all be better off. Governement...GET OUT OF THE WAY!

December 03 2010 at 3:08 PM Report abuse +16 rate up rate down Reply
jimcarjr

NEW ADMINISTRATION AHEAD 2012

December 03 2010 at 2:14 PM Report abuse +18 rate up rate down Reply
Rob & Kathy

Just last month Obama claimed job creation was at, "a steady rate"...

December 03 2010 at 1:58 PM Report abuse +11 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Rob & Kathy's comment
pulsefire

Job creation IS at a steady rate. What he didn't say was that job LOSS was also at a steady rate-----about ten times higher than job creation.

December 03 2010 at 9:57 PM Report abuse +7 rate up rate down Reply
seeshell75

I am one of the "99ers", although I do not receive any kind of welfare. My husband does not make enough alone to pay bills and put food on the table, however we are just over the "numbers" to qualify for any assistance. I have worked consistently for 15 years. I have never been on unemployment before, nor have I ever had food stamps, welfare checks or any other kind of government assistance. I put myself through school while working full-time. Yes, there are and always will be people out there who will work whatever system they can, whether it be unemployment, disability or welfare. However, with the numbers of unemployed out there (which I know are much higher than listed, giving that they don't count 99ers or people who have given up looking for work) you have to understand that we are not ALL working the system. I have spent hours upon hours degrading myself looking for jobs where the people suspected I was on unemployment and were flat out rude to me. In some cases they refused to give me their names to file, which is a requirement. I am sick to death of people who aren't going through this throwing rude comments at us. If we are just abusing the system, give your cushy job up to one of us and you find another job. You will quickly see it is not as easy as it looks.

December 03 2010 at 1:54 PM Report abuse +6 rate up rate down Reply
sfamilyent

OK, so the situation sucks... What are we going to do about it? Come on, let's hear your ideas for putting people back to work! Republicans, where are the jobs? If tax cuts were so good at creating jobs, why is it that this recession produced such a deep and prolonged jobless situation? Let's get real! Over the past 40 to 50 years we have allowed our manufacturing and production sector of our economy to decline and have shipped those jobs offshore. China is struggling to try to keep up with their rapid economic growth, while we are struggling to get our economy going... What's wrong with this picture? What ideas to turn this situation around are coming out of the Council of Economic Advisors?

December 03 2010 at 1:52 PM Report abuse -8 rate up rate down Reply