Has Obama Finally Licked His Smoking Habit?

Two wars, a jobless recovery and a brutal Election Day might make some folks nervous enough to grab a cigarette. But the hard times have had the opposite effect on President Obama, who hasn't had a smoke in nearly a year, according to his White House spokesman.

"I've not seen or witnessed evidence of smoking in probably nine months," Press Secretary Robert Gibbs told reporters Thursday. "I think he has worked extremely hard. And I think he would tell you, even when, in the midst of a tax agreement and a START [arms] deal and all the other things that accumulate, that even where he might have once found some comfort in that . . . he's pushed it away."

President ObamaObama, who plays basketball regularly and works out six days a week, has in the past acknowledged a smoking habit that he's tried to kick since his election two years ago. Gibbs said last year the president was 95 percent cured, the Washington Post reported. But suspicion lingered that he sneaked a cigarette now and then.

Now word comes that Obama is winning his battle with tobacco just as the U.S. surgeon general issues a report saying that even a single puff -- one inhalation reaching the lungs -- can damage a person's health. The president understands the danger, Gibbs said, and "has done a lot of extraordinary work to wrestle with that habit, as millions of Americans have."

Follow Tom Diemer on Twitter http://twitter.com/tomdiemer

frogosopher

What an accomplishment.
Particularly in stressful times...but that's the point: life is ALWAYS stressful.
If I/you cannot do it here, now; then, where, when.
President is surely an inspiration--even if the "sneaks" one.
However, to me, once a person gets beyond two weeks, it's simply a matter of CHOOSING to STAY "quit."
He's done that.

January 21 2011 at 9:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kanokola

Jan 5, 2011 will be one year for me. Not a single puff but damn it is still hard.

December 12 2010 at 9:38 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

Congratulations on quitting smoking, President Obama. I also quit smoking almost 5 yearas ago after a 35 year habit. I've not picked up a cigarette since then, so I know that it can be days. Within days of not smoking, I stopped the hacking cough, My voice changed from hoarse to clear, and my lips lost their dark look. I can walk up a flight of stairs,can walk without giving out of breath and just feel so much better. I wish him well.

December 12 2010 at 11:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gailrvolk

Smoking is so addictive that it takes an average person approximately 7 quit attempts before being successful. Cessation support that is available. Mr. President, we all support you and encourage you!

December 11 2010 at 6:48 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
natalierosen

I hope that is true that he has quit for good. I was, at first shocked, when I learned that he was a smoker even before the campaign. I winced every time I heard that he had not quit. It is one thing for the average person (me) who smoked OR used to (I quit over 25 years ago) but it is quite another when a person in the highest office in the land and who holds the life and death of the entire world in his hands to court ANYTHING that could and WOULD compromise his health. It boils down to the fact that he simply cannot get sick ESPECIALLY if he controls the means to avoid it. While it is true even if you have smoked just a little bit it STILL can have deleterious effects and even can damage DNA as a youth but it is also fact that the sooner one stops the sooner most of the deadly effects of smoking often disappear and it is as if one had not smoked at all if one can manage to stay smoking free for a decade. There is NOTHING NOTHING whatsoever one can say positive about smoking. I smoked in a generation that said not to worry as long as one did not smoke excessively. Well that was utter bunk. Thankfully I realized that I HOPE before it was too late. I looked at the pack in my mid forties and said hey YOU TOO can die of lung cancer. We now know smoking is responsible for cancer almost in every part of the entire body AND courts the side disaster of cardio vascular events as well. That means it causes heart attacks and strokes. If one has diabetes well, I think it is safe to say if a diabetic smokes he OR she will NOT live out their natural life span period! Mr. President: DO NOT EVEN THINK of picking one up again.

December 11 2010 at 2:23 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Blessed

I think it's wonderful when any one stops smoking-wish I had the strength to do it as well! Congradulations to all who have quit and to those smart enough to have never started-Bless you as well!

December 11 2010 at 10:40 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Blessed's comment
baharmon78

You can. i smoked for nearly 40 tears.i guit. How? BY Refusing to allow by body to rule my mind. Do not use any type of method to help you quit because these items are only crutches and very expensive and they keep chemicals and nicotine in the system. It makes it harder to quit.You have to clean out your system first. It takes 3 days for the nicotine to leave your system. During this three days start cleaning out your house your car get rid of anything that has nictine in it. Do not dwell on the urge to smoke think of something else. The urge only last about 5 seconds and it will leave. For support go to your computer and visit the site WHY QUIT. This site will help you. I have been smoke free for two years. What a big lie i told myself all these years that i couldn't do it but i did. God bless you. The good news. NOT ONE COLD COUGH,or SORE THROAT since i quit.

December 11 2010 at 12:06 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
William

More addictive then meth. The tobbacco companies "enhance" the tobbaco with ammonia in order to make it harder to stop. Ammonia rushes it immediately to the brain. Tobbacco execs. are no better than the leaders of the mexican drug cartels and should be in jail. Good for you Mr. President.

December 11 2010 at 10:02 AM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
doris

I KNOW HOW HARD THAT .I SMOKED SOME 35 PLUS YEARS.I AM NOW FOUR AND HALF YEARS CLEAN DORIS

December 11 2010 at 9:19 AM Report abuse +8 rate up rate down Reply
kolia

prez.obama is mentally strong to surpass the nicotine demon. now you must tackle the evildoes in the country. the no-no-no party and teaparty jointly. if you give in to them you will be only this time in as our prez. your changelogo must be revive daily. do not be afraid, you will win if you do not give in. thank you

December 11 2010 at 9:06 AM Report abuse -11 rate up rate down Reply
KIDKATS

If one cannot break the habit alone then there are many proven cessation programs that can assist you in doing so.

December 11 2010 at 9:05 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply