Petraeus Aide: Soldiers Who Can't Handle DADT Repeal Should Leave Service

Troops who can't accept the idea of overturning the ban on gays in the military should consider leaving the service, says a senior aide to Gen. David Petraeus.

Command Sergeant Major Marvin Hill tells TV One's "Washington Watch" that he believes "the troops are ready" for the repeal of the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy.

"If there are people who cannot deal with the change, then they're going to have to do what's best for their troops and best for the organization and best for the military service and exit the military service, so that we can move forward -- if that's the way that we have to go," Hill says in an interview with Roland Martin, scheduled to air Sunday.

Hill says it will be up to military brass to "set the tone" for the rank-and-file in accepting gay service members.

"We know that if there is a change, that that change will have to be led, and it's going to have to be led by senior leaders such as myself and -- and others across the battlefield," Hill says.

Hill's comments were first reported by The Huffington Post.

The chances of the 17-year-old law's repeal suffered a blow Thursday when Republicans blocked a motion to bring the giant defense budget bill, which included consideration of overturning DADT, to the floor for debate.

timetraveler70

Interesting.

You aren't scared to fight in battle -- and die;

but,

you are scared of homosexuals.

I guess the U.S. military isn't all that strong after all.

Who knew?

Taliban, all you have to do is be gay and I guess we will surrender.

Weird.

December 16 2010 at 7:37 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
timetraveler70

Religion plays no part in government.

You can preach and scream all you want.

Justice rules in America.

These homosexual Americans can defend the country of their birth.

They have the right and who would dare stand in their way.

Those who try to stop them are UnAmerican and evil.

God will stop you.

December 16 2010 at 7:25 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Eddy

This is a joke right. They aren't really going to do this to the greatest military in the world, are they? Don't get me wrong, it isn't that I don't believe homosexual men have not served honorably and are serving honorably, it is that they are putting the cart before the horse. The military is not the place to experiment with such a policy. The whole society must first be accepting of the homosexual lifestyle and there must be rules for their relationships i.e. MARRIAGE! If not, who are you to tell them they CANNOT do certain things when you've allowed them to serve openly. We will lose many good men and women in service because of this policy change! The military has a mission and the mission comes first, NOT AN EXPERIMENT such as this. God help us!

December 13 2010 at 9:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
eventsdj

I cannot believe that this guy is speaking for a General officer, much less for the line troops. Rear echelon (no pun intended) types might say repealing "don't ask" is OK but I gaurantee you that the grunts in the trenches wouldn't put up with it for a minute.

December 13 2010 at 1:37 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to eventsdj's comment
Christine

CSM speaks for his commander. But, I cannot believe that GEN Patreous thinks the same way. My husband was a CSM and I know he would turn in his grave if he had to witness this blasphomy.

December 22 2010 at 11:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nizzi

I served during the Vietnam War and know that there were homosexuals in my unit. What mattered was how they conducted themselves, not that they were different. The policy of DADT holds gays to personal conduct. Loosening that policy could allow visible behavior to reflect upon not only the individual, but the armed forces. I say leave things as they are. We do not have to change the law to allow service, just leave the policy in place.

December 11 2010 at 9:19 PM Report abuse +6 rate up rate down Reply
Jim

I'm not sure where this Command Sergeant Major Marvin Hill is coming from, an article a few days ago reported that SecDef Gates said that the troops would have no say or choice in the matter if DADT is to be repealed, so where does he come off saying such a thing that the troops either will have to accept it or leave the service. While I agree that there are and have been gays in the military since day one this is not the proper attitute of a leader, he should be saying that the military will lead by conducting classes to help a better transition of this policy, by his statement I believe it will only lead to further anger of those opposed.

December 11 2010 at 3:31 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
JudgeJoe77

I agree with lifting the ban only if the upper military brass can deal with those problems created by having certain personal contacts with gay and straight soldiers. They must strictly enforce any improper advances made by gay officers and enlisted men toward straight soldiers in showers, sleeping quarters and other personal facilities. To suggest that front line soldiers who may disagree with this change, should leave the service, is ridiculous. They have every right to have their beliefs and opinions, and not to be approached by gays in a sexual way. They do not have to embrace gay soldiers, just respect and work with them.

December 11 2010 at 1:36 PM Report abuse +5 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to JudgeJoe77's comment
christierandall

Have you ever heard of any problem these last ten years of any appropriate behavior going on of gay soldiers...because they are already there and serving our country. Why in the world would you think that if they are allowed to serve openly that they are suddenly going to try and seduce a straight man in the showers? How rediculous. Do you not think that straight soldiers are capable enough to say "sorry dude, I not like that". They certainly know how to brush off a woman they are not interested in. It is time to repeal DADT so that these men and women who proudly serve and die for our country can do so and not have to hide who they really are.

December 11 2010 at 2:51 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
denroi

Amen ! If a soldier doesnt like equality he/she should not be in the uniform of USA.

December 11 2010 at 12:16 PM Report abuse -4 rate up rate down Reply
Rogell

From one senior NCO to another, I'm with you top seargeant. Senator McCain and others who would seem to suggest otherwise, are entitled to their opinions, but my instincts tell me a far different story. Besides, the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff exclaimed that we're asking our GI's to lie or keep their gay tendencies under wraps. Instead, good common sense should prevail or become the order of the day. In that regard, I support Admiral Mullins and Sec of Def Gates.

December 11 2010 at 10:45 AM Report abuse -9 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Rogell's comment
jmcrespo067

You sir, are missing the point! If you are heterosexual, in my case a male, and I take a shower with female, sex will surely be on my mind! When was the last time you looked at an attractive female in swimsuit and didn't think that? So let me make my point. If an open homosexual in the military is taking showers with other males what do you think his thoughts would be? WE DO NOT NEED THIS IN OUR MILITARY!I was also an NCO in the military and I completely disagree.

December 11 2010 at 11:11 AM Report abuse +7 rate up rate down Reply
bng1959

I am so glad someone said it. NO BIGGOTS. Before you ask I did serve in the USAF from 1978-82, I came out while in the service. My fellow Securty Policemen were very understaning and I was never reported, I kept my gay life off base but it was no secret to my co-workers that i was gay,

December 10 2010 at 10:31 PM Report abuse -14 rate up rate down Reply