Sarah Palin on John Boehner: Female Politicians Wouldn't Get a 'Pass' for Crying

Appearing on ABC News' "Good Morning America" Friday morning with co-anchor Robin Roberts, former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin said female politicians face a double standard when it comes to crying publicly.

When asked about Rep. John Boehner's penchant for weeping, Palin said:

"I don't know if a woman would be given a pass necessarily. . . . I respect John Boehner because he has worn his feelings on his sleeve on things that are so important to him . . . and I give him that pass, too."

She continued, "But that's one of those things where a double standard certainly is applied. I'm sure if I got up there and did a speech and I started breaking down and cried about how important it is to me that our children and our grandchildren are provided great opportunities, I'm sure that I would be knocked a little bit for that.

"It makes us work that much harder and be that much tougher and more committed to the message and the mission at hand."

The issue involved is that a woman who cries might be perceived as weak, but I would argue that Hillary Clinton's crying in 2008 helped her win the New Hampshire primary.

justbeezin

Why are people so dam critical? There is too much anger in this world. Finger pointing on everyone else but people don't take a good look at them selves in the mirror.

December 18 2010 at 10:02 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
mcclarinj

Boehner does strike me as someone who might cry in his beer. Gotta wonder if he'd just had a few before the interview. The tea party had better hold his feet very close to the fire so he has something else to think about besides his personal rags-to-riches story.

December 18 2010 at 9:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ELLEN

Palin if you were President we would all cry, Heaven for bid.

December 18 2010 at 8:49 AM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
wolfsonnydiane

with the passing of the republican sponsered tax bill the dismantling of social security begins at long last the door to eliminate social security [ a republican desire] has been opened [ cut in ss contributions]

December 18 2010 at 8:35 AM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
tistolaugh

I don't have a dog in this fight one way or another as to his performance, but Boehner does need to pull it together. No matter how emotional a person is, you cannot go to work and bawl everyday. Especially when you are third in line for the presidency.

December 17 2010 at 3:48 PM Report abuse +8 rate up rate down Reply
abcadams1

I finally agree with something Sarah Palin said. She is right. If a woman cried, people would say, that's why women can't be in Politics. Women are weak and can't handle the stress of Politics. I heard though, that Boehner may have cried because he is very depressed and drinks alot. When people drink, inhibitions are released and true feelings come out and are uncontrolled. I hope I'm wrong though because everyone deserves to be happy.

December 17 2010 at 11:37 AM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to abcadams1's comment
trubliss55

abc, I was agreeing with you UNTIL you said that women can be in Politics! Just off the top of my head I can think of 3 Outstanding Women in Politics: Of course Prime Minster Maggie Thacter, (sp) Isreal's PM Mois Diane, and Germany's PM. Can't rememeber her name (prob a good thing the way I spell!) The right woman, can do the job, say Dr Condoleezza Rice! < she is brillant!

December 28 2010 at 2:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
justbeezin

What the hell is wrong with crying? Take your ego's and flush them down the tolet. It is only waste!

December 17 2010 at 9:37 AM Report abuse -5 rate up rate down Reply
Eric the Red

Perhaps Hillary was helped by tearing up a little, but she didn't SOB the way that Boehner did on "60 Minutes," AND this was preceeded by developing a persona as a hard-as-nails, steely, tough broad. If she'd come out of the gate crying, she never would have been a serious contender for the Presidency.

December 17 2010 at 9:12 AM Report abuse +13 rate up rate down Reply