S'mores Wars: Palin Flings Dessert -- Figuratively Speaking -- in First Lady's Face

Food fight!

That seems to be what Sarah Palin wants to start, anyway. In the latest episode of her TLC reality show Sunday night, "Sarah Palin's Alaska," the former governor of the 49th state again took aim at Michelle Obama's "Let's Move" campaign to fight childhood obesity.

While making s'mores, Palin noted that the chocolate and marshmallow treat was "in honor of Michelle Obama, who said the other day we should not have dessert."

By "the other day," Palin apparently meant July, when the first lady recalled her active childhood in a speech to the NAACP in Kansas City: "In the afternoon, there was no way we'd be allowed to lie around the house watching TV. Our parents made us get up and play outside. As I tell my kids, dessert is not a right."

In an interview last month on Laura Ingraham's radio show, Palin took another shot at "Let's Move," saying it reflected "government thinking that they need to take over and make decisions for us according to some politician or politician's wife priorities. Just leave us alone, get off our back and allow us as individuals to exercise our own God-given rights to make our own decisions and then our country gets back on the right track."

The first lady has urged the nation's food makers to produce and market healthier products. She said in March that she doesn't want to demonize junk food and rejected as "extreme" having the government order warning labels on foods contributing to obesity.

She has, however, been emphatic in noting that over the past three decades, childhood obesity rates in America have tripled and that pediatricians "are seeing kids with high blood pressure and high cholesterol -- even Type II diabetes, which they used to see only in adults."

No word on a White House response to Palin's latest remark. The first lady and daughters Malia and Sasha are in Hawaii for their holiday vacation, waiting to be joined by the president once Congress completes work -- or recesses without completing it, presumably this week.

Beverley

I just do not understand what Palin is ranting about. First Lady Michele is no more "government" than First Lady Barbara or First Lady Laura. Each First Lady takes up a special program or becomes an advocate for a cause. If First Lady Michele had just sat at home raising her young daughters she would be criticized for being a lazy Black woman. Instead she has taken up the cause of supporting military families, especially those who have a spouse fighting in one of our overseas wars. She has also taken up the cause of fighting for the health and well being of our children, which is fighting for their futures. First Lady Barbara said "Just say NO" to drugs, and this was put in every school in the country, yet no one said the government was getting involved with our children's rights. First Lady Laura said that '...we need to read more...' and encouraged reading programs, but no one accused her of bringing the government into telling us to let our children read instead of watch TV and play video games. First Lady Michele is advocating for the health of our children, and now she is being accused of '...bringing government into our homes and telling us how to feed and raise our children...' Come on people, do we not all see what is being done here? Our present First Lady is not liked not because of what she is advocating, but because of who she is the wife of whom she is. Why is it that in the past the families of the President were primarily off limits, but now suddenly they are being attacked and mimicked and belittled and accused? If Palin wants to feed her children desserts all day, and make them obese couch potatoes who develop Type II Diabetes and heart problems and hypertension before they are 18 years old, then she should feel free to do so. However to attack our First Lady who is concerned for the fast falling health of our children, and desires to see them be healthier young adults, is unconscionable. If she wants to pick on our President, who I am sure is her primary target, she should do so. Or is it that she does not feel she can intelligibly do so? Our First Lady has shown that she is just that, a Lady, and has chosen to both ignore Palin and Bachmann, who obviously feel the need to attack her whenever they need to make themselves heard to promote their political agendas. These women need to bring their political fights to the politicians and not criticize someone who is an advocate for the health and well being and futures of our children. To me they are showing how much they do not care about the health and well being of our country's children, only their own political gains. Shame on them. I think real mothers care about all children.

February 16 2011 at 10:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Myss T

I don't think that Mrs. Obama is telling anyone not to eat dessert. She is simply encouraging Americans to do more than eat and watch television. She is encouraging both children and adults to get active. Get moving! There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I don't think that our government is attempting to tell anyone what to do. She is simply trying to help America reverse the unhealthy trend of fast food diets and too much television watching. It amazes me how people say that the government is too involved yet as soon as something happens, they are quick to call the police (government paid/supported) to rush them to the hospital and use their health insurance (government supported). You can't have it both ways.

December 29 2010 at 2:25 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
stormopal

Mrs Palin needs to get it straight especially when she speaks to the media, Michelle Obama did not say that we should not have dessert she said that it should not be considered as a primary meal, ie; some people will eat dessert rather than have a meal or they would allow their children to do the same, or give the children junk food loaded with fat and sugar rather than fruit and vegatables. Look at our children, they are becoming fat and lazy they don't want to go out side and play, they want to sit in front of the tv and eat chips and candy and then when they get big enough they can go on some reality show and cry about why they can't loose any weight. Wake up America we do need to get our children moving and productive. I am a baby boomer and I know that other boomers will attest to what I am saying, we didn't know anything about junk or fast food, if we did have it that was a rare occasion my mother cooked all of our meals and we all ate at the table togeather, and whoever did not finish their meal did not get dessert. We had to go out to play and we played outside Summer Spring, Fall, and Winter.

December 27 2010 at 2:06 PM Report abuse +6 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to stormopal's comment
dangelcash

I agree w/ the last part of your post, however, I don't think it's anyones business to tell anyone what to eat. Last I heard Obama was still smoking. I haven't heard Michelle saying anything about the problems associated w/ nicotine, it's possible I missed that. The meals that schools serve students should be healthier. I don't agree that McDonald's should be sued by a parent, who has to drive their child to McDonalds, should be able to sue the food chain because the PARENT is unable to say no. Dems/libs are too sue crazy and too do as I say, not as I do people. It is sad that kids don't do more outside than they use to. I loved being outside as a kid, during any season, ice skating, four sqaure, skipping rope......... times have changed. Just the way it is. All of those mentioned are still free though, aside from buying skates, rope, balls, alot cheaper than video games. I don't need a politican telling me how to live and allowing frivolous lawsuits though.

December 28 2010 at 12:46 AM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
ELLEN

It should be up to the parents on what their children eat but think about all the children that do not get enough fruit and veggies because there parents can not afford it, I think it is a great idea.

December 25 2010 at 11:45 AM Report abuse +5 rate up rate down Reply
emerpus01

I don't recall any first lady since Eleanor Roosevelt, with the exception of Hillary Clinton, being attacked by politicians the way they are going after Mrs. Obama. Hillary Clinton was asking for it, of course - she was as active in the Clinton administration as any cabinet member. Laura Bush brought us back to the traditional model of the lady, advocating for non-controversial causes. In Mrs. Bush's case, it was continuing the pro-literacy work of her mother-in-law. In Mrs. Obama's case, it's urging American kids to eat better (not that different from 'Just say no').

Palin is attacking the First Lady because it is a cynical move which will score her points with her supporters, many of whom gave up on the concept of respect for the office of the President (the office, not the man himself) right after Obama's inauguration.

I have said sorts of bad things about George W. Bush. But I never maligned Laura Bush - in fact I really enjoy watching the Texas Book Fair on C-span. Attacking the First Lady for political reasons is contemptible.

December 21 2010 at 12:20 PM Report abuse +8 rate up rate down Reply
Richelle

There's a big difference between saying that dessert is not a right and saying that dessert should not be allowed. It's sad that Sarah Palin feels the need to behave this way just for the sake of being against something that Michelle Obama supports. You would think that Palin, who was in athletics growing up and often touts her family's outdoorsiness, would appreciate the message Michelle Obama is promoting. Maybe if she stopped turning EVERYTHING into a political mud-sling-fest it wouldn't seem like this is all just sour grapes.

December 21 2010 at 10:14 AM Report abuse +13 rate up rate down Reply
Sissy

When my brother and I were young (before T.V.) all the kids on our block played ourside. I was not athletic but I loved to read and play the piano. Our mother didn't mind the piano because she knew I needed to practice, but if I wanted to read it had to be outside. Of course I rode bicycles and roller skated, walked every where I went...across town to my grandmother's. Can't do that today.
Part of the problem today is crime. I grew up in a small town with no crime to speak of, so nobody bothered us. It wasn't dangerous for us to play outside. Another thing, we didn't have T.V. We had radio shows geared to our ages...THE SHADOW, and other shows. My brother and I would sit at the table where the radio was, eat our supper listening to our shows.
My husband and I raised our three children in this house and on this street where they played outside all the time. When our grandchildren were young, things. changed and they could no longer play outside like their parents had.
I blame most of the obesity on unsafe neighborhoods and T.V. along with junk food and working mothers who are too tired when they get home to cook decent meals. I'm not blaming working mothers. Having been one myself, I was exhausted after work. But non of my children were fat let alone obese. They were active. They also ate junk food when we could afford it.

December 21 2010 at 4:28 AM Report abuse +12 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Sissy's comment
Eve

Absolutely. The reasons for childhood obesity are multifactorial. We can't change crime in the neighborhood (although I think this fear is overblown) and TV and junk food are not going anywhere, so we need to have a plan of action to change things. That's the first lady's goal and it astounds me that anyone could see anything negative in it. SP needs to stop picking fights out of thin air because people are going to get sick of her (those of us who haven't already!).

December 25 2010 at 1:22 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
rdrvr1752

Mrs. Obama's telling her children "dessert is not a right" is nothing more than my own mother told me in the '50s. Chocolate cake came at the expense of calf's liver and brussels sprouts. As to what she would have said about a woman who espouses "traditional" family values and has a daughter who produces a child out of wedlock, would have been polite but would have left no question that she would not be welcome at her dining room table.

December 20 2010 at 11:29 PM Report abuse +24 rate up rate down Reply
John

Palin is a true American. She understands that it is "OUR" fault. We have sat back and allowed ourselves to be trained to wait for a free check. We've allowed our jobs to go to other countries. Why do we not work to uphold our constitution that our forefathers gave us? We got fat and lasy. We have lost our drive and commitment. WE should be ashamed. Futhermore; we are getting what we deserve. We have lost sight of "God and Country". Arguments have become petty.

I am sad for America. I will not give up. I challenge all Americans to get up off your butt and be an American again. What we had is still there; we just have to reclaim it. Work for it. We have to show our true colors. We can be a brick in the wall; or an American. Your choice. I prefer to know that what I have was earned by me. If I can't earn it; then it doesn't belong to me. If it doesn't belong to me; then I don't want it.

December 20 2010 at 11:24 PM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
Assalaam Alaikum

I would be willing to bet that back when Schwarzenegger first started doing the same thing...that young Ms. Palin didn't have a problem with it, being that Arnold was a republican....It is funny to me how politicians are getting more and more about how they can trash each other and less and less about the actual issues. It isn't about how much government is or isn't involved in your lives, but whether they can distract you with the dirt they are flinging at each other trying to out each other while they do all their dealings under the table. Eye on the prize people, take back YOUR government, remember the one, OF the people, FOR the people, BY the people~!!!!!

December 20 2010 at 11:22 PM Report abuse +94 rate up rate down Reply