LeAnn Rimes Headlines Pricey 'Swearing-In' Event for GOP Freshmen

If incoming GOP freshmen were hoping to bring fiscal responsibility and "family values" to Washington, they may have gotten off to an interesting start with a big party in the works.

Country singer LeAnn Rimes, it seems, is scheduled to perform at what has been billed as a "swearing-in event" for newly elected Republicans at the swanky W hotel in Washington, D.C. on Jan. 4.

According to e-mails and invitations I have obtained, tickets are $2,500 a pop (for $50,000 you can become a "Platinum Sponsor" -- but that includes eight tickets, a "VIP lunch" and a "VIP suite" at the W hotel).

LeAnn RimesBut the price isn't the only thing raising eyebrows. Once thought of as "family friendly," Rimes has since added some new material to her resume. As Perez Hilton recently noted:
"LeAnn Rimes took to her Twitter to reveal some pics of herself ... as a Sexy Santa performing with the El Lay Gay Men's Christmas this past Sunday. And, of course, some with her man Eddie Cibrian!"
Even before Rimes' tweet, she might have been an interesting pick for conservatives. As the New York Daily News reported in September:
"Once considered America's Sweetheart, LeAnn Rimes shocked fans when she admitted to cheating on her husband, Dean Sheremet.

. . .
Rimes, now 28, admitted that she had an affair with actor Eddie Cibrian while they were shooting a Lifetime film back in 2008."

The event is sponsored by America's New Majority, described on the invitation as: a joint fund-raising committee authorized by and composed of Denham for Congress, Southerland for Congress, Dold for Congress, Stutzman for Congress, Yoder for Congress, Landry for Louisiana, Renee Ellmers for Congress Committee, Jon Runyan for Congress, Inc., Tom Reed for Congress, Marino for Congress, Friends of Scott DesJarlais, David Rivera for Congress and JEFF PAC.

As the Sunlight Foundation's "Party Time" site confirms, the list of all the participating members-elect includes:

Jeff Denham, R-Calif.

Scott DesJarlais, R-Tenn. (Tea Party)

Robert Dold, R-Ill. (Tea Party)

Renee Ellmers, R-N.C. (Tea Party)

Jeff Landry, R-La. (Tea Party)

Tom Marino, R-Pa.

Tom Reed, R-N.Y.

David Rivera, R-Fla.

Jon Runyan, R-N.J.

Steve Southerland, R-Fla. (Tea Party)

Marlin Stutzman, R-Ind. (Tea Party)

Kevin Yoder. R-Kan.

80%

5 Comments

Filter by:
cotekw8

People need to lighten up this is just a celebration of the republicans getting back into office. I am very happy they are back in charge and hopefully they do good things for the American people. as long as the taxpayers are not paying the bill it doesn't matter to me

December 25 2010 at 3:16 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
foxdec30

As long as the taxpayers are not footing the bill, WHO CARES?

December 24 2010 at 12:24 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
wljnnfr5

It is strange that Leann Rimes was allowed to do this considering her background. Not someone who I want to see because of all that she stands for. No amount of talent will allow me to overlook all the harm that she has caused.

December 23 2010 at 3:44 PM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
exnyorker

Now that we have extended the Bush tax cuts , I can easily afford to be a Platinum sponsor for a mere $50,000 - - - just proves that those tax cuts for the wealthy go right back into our economy and help create new jobs for the unemployed.

December 23 2010 at 7:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply