Oprah: Sarah Palin Presidential Run 'Does Not Scare Me'

And now we have Oprah Winfrey's take on Sarah Palin's presidential ambitions.

In an interview with Parade magazine, Winfrey said America could "fall in love" with the former Alaska governor as a television personality, at least based on her reality show, "Sarah Palin's Alaska." But Winfrey, the queen of talk-show TV, said she didn't really know Palin personally and wasn't sure if she would run for president in two years, CNN said.

Does the prospect of a conservative Palin candidacy frighten Winfrey? Parade asked. "It does not scare me because I believe in the intelligence of the American public," she replied, somewhat ambiguously.

Oprah WinfreyOne of the country's most admired women, Winfrey has political clout. She backed Barack Obama early in the 2008 presidential race, raised campaign money for him, and helped elevate the profile of the then-first term senator from Illinois.

She interviewed Palin -- who opposed Obama's ticket as the Republican vice presidential nominee -- after her first book ("Going Rogue") was published, but said, "I don't know her, so I can't speak to [a possible 2012 candidacy]." Even so, Palin's reality series got Winfrey's attention. "When I saw that first episode, I went, 'Whoa, she is charming and very likable.' "

despoticalmond

Oprah is awesome. I think it is bordering on ignorant to not understand that people turn to others who have the time and the ability to be informed. Oprah does. I don't think people should listen to her blindly, but to listen to her with some sense of respect for her ability to navigate politics or to understand people, is okay. She has had a longer political career, and exhibits more economic, can social savvy than Palin, and I would say that it is a pity that she doesn't run. But considering that she is an entertainer and she chooses to keep to a field that she is marvelous in, shows a little bit of something about her. "Takes one to know one", she knows Palin she be an entertainer. Dim, and less intellectual or caring by comparison, but an entertainer none the less. As I Christian, I wonder if Palin she be more focused on her daughter and her handicapped baby. Her daughter is violating the social norms that Palin wants to endorse, and a handicapped baby may need extra care. But if her husband is willing to foot the bill, more power to them. Non traditional families ROCK and are necessary. This is obvious, because this is what she wants for her daughter. Obama is doing a decent job so far. Don't expect miracles, after all, he is fighting a war entrenched in tax cuts for the top whatever tiny percent of this nation, which has been going on for forty years. As far as getting the troops out, I don't know who expected for that to happen smoothly, but at least there are signs of a shift. America is a bit obligated to make things as neat as possible for withdrawing. Who the heck invited America in? Think about all the lives that were destroyed, and the spike in heroin production and rape that has happened since America went in. "Benefit to America" WTF was the benefit to begin with? War on a concept? That's like ripping up America based on the concept of the mob methism because they bombed a few places. People, please stop viewing that so lightly. And how much sense does it make for Oprah to endorse Hilary if that isn't who she felt to be the best candidate? That is like voting for Obama simply because he is Black. People can argue that is exactly what she did, I believe that may have been part of her consideration, but considering her views on life, I doubt that. She endorsed because he either has the best plan or the best lip service. Palin has neither, and Hilary Clinton's history worked against her, and she is still making it happen in the White House. I'd totally vote for Clinton, especially over Palin. I would have considered McCain more closely had it not been for her. The Palin house should get Snooki and Levi in parental counseling, and keep skinning deer etc. I don't want her "dressing" my future.

December 30 2010 at 5:58 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
sowhatbj

sarah palins show on alaska is great.shows alaska in ways none of us will ever see..no i do not think she has enough experence to be president,but neither has the present one..one thing mrs.palin was born in america and willing to prove it, not spend money to avoid sahowing a birth certificate..to the great state of alaska....chamber of commerce...pick up the show and sponser it...one of the best ads you could have...go sarah...

December 30 2010 at 2:23 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
notneutral8847

What kind comment did Parade magazine expect from a staunch supporter of Barack Obama? I take her reply "...doesn't scare me..." to mean she's not afraid of Sarah's candidacy on the reelection chances of Obama. It should scare her.

December 29 2010 at 6:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Judge Davis

Oprah is such a sweetheart. She doesn't bash in public,she accentuates the positive and moves on with her life. She reenforces the human spirit. sure would be nice if we treated each other (regardless of national origin) with dignity and respect under the umbrella of love. The Taliban kill Americans without prejudice; who don't we love each other without prejudice?

December 29 2010 at 4:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sherr

Who really care who Winfrey likes. I think the American people see what is happening with this big government liberal society. All I ask is that we think a little harder the next time we vote for a president. Listen to our own minds and heart and don't worry about sho endorses who. Thank you.

December 29 2010 at 2:14 PM Report abuse +9 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Sherr's comment
claudehl

Without her vilifying liberals, she has nothing. She is ignorant and proud of it, she can't take criticism, she doesn't even understand how government works or what the Constitution actually means. I wouldn't know about the dedicated mother part, that's hard to judge from a distance and I feel it's out of bounds anyway, I'm not electing my mother, I'm electing a president, but I don't like the way she parades her family everywhere while constantly crying about the media giving them too much attention.

December 30 2010 at 1:37 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
thetravelmaven

Sarah Palin's Alaska is GREAT educational entertainment...and a wonderful way to draw tourists to that gorgeous state. Sarah should become Alaska's goodwill ambassador, and greet visitors as they disembark from the ships and planes that bring them there. It's the perfect job for a girl who filets halibut like a pro, cuts up caribou like a butcher, and mushes with the best mushing skills I've seen this side of Denali.

Sarah...they hardly knew ye. Stay in Alaska...and let's get those tourists there in numbers that will REALLY help Alaska.

Forget being the President...it's sinful to not to use the talent that the Good Lord has given to you. You must fish and mush and butcher...you have found your passion...and you are obligated to wake up each day and BE PASSIONATE ABOUT YOUR "OUTDOOR /LIVING OFF THE LAND" SKILLS!!!!!!!!!

ALASKA....don't let her leave!!!!!!!

December 29 2010 at 1:20 PM Report abuse +6 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to thetravelmaven's comment
usabarb4u

LMAO...a Goodwill Ambassador would need to care about the people. Sarah Palin cares only about herself.

December 29 2010 at 5:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rebecca

But she didn't even butcher that caribou. After needing 6 shoots to take the animal down (and any hunter will tell you, you don't fire unless you can take an animal down with the first shot) she sat back while her father and their guide dressed the animal.

December 29 2010 at 8:10 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
jeriestes

Women helped make Oprah a star! When the time came for a women be President Oprah backed a man! A junior senator. Hilary is now the powerful Secretary of State. But just 2 years ago in Oprah eyes Hilary was not qualified to be the first women President! Way would any women ever listen to Oprah again?

December 29 2010 at 2:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rmhopper3@yahoo.com

A Palin candidacy doesnt scare me but a Palin presidency makes me want to move to Australia or Switzerland ...someplace that doesnt do WW III

December 28 2010 at 11:30 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Repowerman

If you need Oprah to make your decisions for you you are in dire need of a brain of your own. What scares me is that people BELIEVE Oprah about polotics. It is HER choice not ours. Last time I checked we ALL have the right to CHOOSE who we want to back and support and taking advice from some one with a lot invested in the game is never a smart move.

December 28 2010 at 5:09 PM Report abuse +9 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Repowerman's comment
mevans1537

Yeah, just look what listening to Oprah got for us in 2008.

December 29 2010 at 5:29 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
lbthedawg

Palin may not scare Oprah but Oprah scares me.

Can't wait for her sappy show to leave the airwaves but the sheep will follow her to her new network. Heaven help us if Oprah is the solution for this nation

December 28 2010 at 9:19 AM Report abuse +6 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to lbthedawg's comment
Herschel

Amen to that!! It scares me to think that so many put people put so much faith in Oprah and her opinions. It scares me to think that America has come down to this. Somehow she has become a spirtual advisor, a political advisor, and it's sad to so see so many of her "sheep" have bought into this deceit. Just my opinion.

December 29 2010 at 11:09 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply