Obama, Hillary Clinton Top 'Most Admired' Lists in Annual Gallup Poll

President Obama far and away tops the list of Gallup's annual "most admired man" survey although the percentage of Americans who chose him has fallen since his election, while Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is the most admired woman, with Sarah Palin and Oprah Winfrey not too far behind in second and third place.

Although Obama's job approval numbers have been at a low ebb for much of the year, Americans clearly approach this question with a different set of standards in mind, just as they do when asked whether or not they have a favorable view of Obama. Polls consistently show that a higher percentage of Americans view Obama himself favorably even though fewer give him positive marks for the way he does his job.

It's also no surprise that Obama would top the list, as the choice of 22 percent of those surveyed, since sitting presidents have been Gallup's most admired man in 52 of 64 of its polls. But the number of those choosing Obama was down from last year when 30 percent named him.

Former President George Bush (43 not 41) is far behind at 5 percent with Bill Clinton at 4 percent. All bunched up at about 2 percent are Nelson Mandela, Bill Gates, Pope Benedict XVI, Billy Graham, Jimmy Carter and Glenn Beck. The Dalai Lama gets 1 percent. Graham has made the top 10 list of most admired 54 times.

Only 6 percent of Republicans named Obama as their most admired man, but that was offset by the 46 percent of Democrats and 17 percent of independents that chose him. The top choice of Republicans was Bush 43 at 11 percent.

Among women, Hillary Clinton was chosen as most admired by 17 percent, while Palin was named by 12 percent and Winfrey by 11 percent. Michelle Obama came in fourth at 5 percent, followed by former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and Queen Elizabeth at 2 percent each, with Angelina Jolie, Margaret Thatcher, Aung San Suu Kyi, Laura Bush and Barbara Bush all at about 1 percent.

Clinton has been number one on the list 15 times since she first made it in 1992 when Bill Clinton swept into the White House.

Thirty-one percent of Democrats chose Clinton as their most admired woman compared to 13 percent who picked Winfrey and 10 percent who named Michelle Obama. Twenty-six percent of Republicans chose Palin, with only 5 percent picking Clinton. Eight percent chose Winfrey. Fifteen percent of independents chose Clinton, 10 percent picked Winfrey and 7 percent favored Palin.

Follow Poll Watch on Twitter

Visit the Poll Watch Home Page and see all the latest polls in one place

80%

Comments

140 Comments

Filter by:
Comments are no longer accepted for this topic.
sfields435

Donnie Viens: The Gallup organization is NOT "liberal polling" -- and I feel certain that when GW topped their list of "most admired", you would not have labeled it so. As for President Obama's current approval rating of 47%: I would point out to you that, at the same point in HIS Presidency, Reagan's job approval rating was 37% -- a full 10 pts lower. And he was greatly admired.

December 28 2010 at 11:50 AM
alpambuena

it has always baffled me, why politicians, billionaires, and those in entertainment, somehow become persons of the year. for some reason, us commoners, and penny-stinkers, still have this mentality, to worship the kings and queens, of our society. meanwhile, the people that should be mentioned, those in the actual trenches of real life, that are making a dent, and are not there because of a high powered election, or the status of a billionair, but are there because of what humble, unselfish, and often a life sacrifice, reasons put them there. the neighborhood pastor, a local doctor, a six grade teacher, a food ministry person, a high school coach, a counselor, a local fisherman, a cab driver, that volunteeers, a boy scout leader.......somehow we allow the media to dictate to us, and those real persons of the year, are right down the street, but are too often, forgotten, and taken granted.

December 28 2010 at 11:49 AM
Rob & Kathy

It's pretty obvious that Obama and Clinton despise each other. They are like putting two cats in a gunny sack and shaking it...

December 28 2010 at 11:23 AM +5
moaber

And yet I find the policies of these two to be the most destructive to America. What has happened to our people? Have they become so indoctrinated by the liberal university professors that they can no longer think for themselves?

December 28 2010 at 11:07 AM +7
novotenomore

Hillary was not admired back in the 08 primaries. She was not quite so well liked by the Obama campaign and if my memory serves, Obama did not think she had very effective foreign policy. That is why I don't trust him. What does he do? Makes her chief of that very foreign policy. Now, she is admired. Why? Because she knuckled under.

December 28 2010 at 10:27 AM
JIM

Thats funny, i dont care who you are. Exactly why i pay no attention to polls.

December 28 2010 at 10:26 AM
vector26436

I don't know what the writer of this slanted article is smoking, but George W. Bush beat both Obama and Clinton in the 1st and 2nd year, and beat Ole Slick in all four years. This propaganda piece of garbage is just one more attempt, by the Liberal Writers, to prop up a disfunctional, egotistical and incompetent President who is destroying America with his Socialistic Goals.

December 28 2010 at 9:52 AM +50
Donnie Viens

I wonder what the demographics were ??? Polls like this make no sense what so ever. How does a President with an approval rating so low also be one of the most admired ??? And how does a poll that only polled 1200 people make such determinations ???
Liberal Polling is always hysterical. They create their own results in order to convince people that their agenda is the majority. And then when the Country displays it's opinion on election day, liberals acted shocked.

December 28 2010 at 9:51 AM +54
cfbuck220

Statistics and polls are only as reliable as the people who collect them. Remember the 4 out of 5 dentists choose this toothpaste commercial? They may have polled 100 dentists. 96 dentists said they would not recommend it. 4 of the hundred said they would. They can reliably report that 4 out of 5 recommend without skewing the data. And remember, they poll a select few. It's the grain of salt thing or the grain of sand in the sandbox - whichever you prefer.

December 28 2010 at 9:47 AM +27
Janice

I wonder what percentage of those surveyed who chose Obama are on government assistance and will benefit from the healthcare that working Americans will be forced to provide for them? Of course, we are not told who was polled, where they are from, their ages, etc.

December 28 2010 at 9:43 AM +50