New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo Pushes for Freeze on State Worker Salaries

In an effort to cope with a lingering financial crisis, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo will push for a one-year salary freeze for state workers and a cap on spending.

The new governor will unveil details of his proposed "emergency financial reinvention plan" Wednesday during his first State of the State address, administration officials told New York's Daily News.

The state is facing a $10 billion budget deficit. As a candidate, Cuomo promised one of his main objectives would be to get Albany's financial house in order.

Newsday reported any wage freeze would have to be negotiated with state employee unions, many of whose contracts expire April 1. Up to 130,000 workers at state agencies would be affected. The move would not require legislative approval.

"The governor said during his campaign that the difficult financial times call for shared sacrifice," a senior administration official told The New York Times. "A salary freeze is obviously a difficult thing for many government workers, but it's necessary if the state is going to live within its means."

The Times estimates the freeze could put up to $400 million dollars back into the state budget.

Cuomo will also oppose any new taxes and call for a limit on property tax increases, according to the Daily News.

The governor will deliver the speech Wednesday afternoon in Albany before about 2,500 people, including state officials, the media and members of the public.

80%

61 Comments

Filter by:
artteet

Its wonderful when these millioniare politicians take a pay freeze and ask the same of the 40,000 year state worker. Gas prices are going through the roof which means all products will begin to go up in cost and where do families find that money whether state workers or private sector. Why arent the dems complaining now about gas prices, they were quick to blame Bush and accuse him of being in bed with big oil...Is Obama in bed with Soros and big oil Petrobra

January 04 2011 at 9:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
clv42011

I am a NYS employee and yes, Gov. Cuomo is headed in the right direction. However, if I lose my job, what are my options? My first preference is to find new employment. In our economy, realistically that might not happen for some time so I will go on NYS unemployment. Because that does not provide an adequate amount for my family and I to live on, I will supplement that with food stamps, courtesy of our NYS welfare program. It seems at first glance, that laying off 130,000 workers, makes sense. A little bit deeper look into that proposal reveals that all of these displaced workers will probably go from one NYS paycheck to another.

January 04 2011 at 8:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
souldoggie

Government workers, welcome to real life. My company of 250 employees froze our salaries in 2008. No raises for 3 years. No pension, of course, other then what we all save OUT OF OUR OWN PAYCHECKS through our 401K's and Roth's.
Guess, what....we are happy and blessed to have our jobs, considering the shape of the economy.
Times are changing and I can't wait for our poloticians to acquire the backbone to stand up to all of the corrupt, greedy, and shameless government unions.

January 04 2011 at 3:07 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Ms Hunter

I retired as a State Employee in 2007,we didnt get a raise about 4 or five years before and they're still haven't gotten a raise.I'm told that Florida is one of the lowest paid States.I worked for 34 years and my check is nothing to brag about because after $500 + dollars deducted for health insurance I have nothing much to live on,sometimes I wish I can drop my insurance. If it wasn't for my husband Social Security I would be homeless but I Still doesn't have enough money left after paying the bills my children try to help me with food.I would have worked longer but I got health problem,I am on the computer everyday trying to find something I can do at home.

January 04 2011 at 12:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dr. Rodriguez

How about instead of a freeze and a decrease in salaries? Private enterprise employees get less than their comparable state employees. Benefits guarenteed and paid by public by state law. Is this sustainable? Fair? Let's deal with the real issues. A freeze is still too much!!

January 04 2011 at 12:16 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
gruntridgetodds

State employees and Teachers in NC have already been taking paycuts/freezes. Insurance went up even though pay went down. That "teachers retirement package" everyone talks about? Well, your contribution percentage is taken right off the top of each paycheck for that. Average teacher in NC that has graduated from college w/degree, done student teaching, passed the teachers exam and is keeping up contining education credits to stay licensed that has been working for 15 years w/family insurance coverage brings home UNDER $2,000.00 per month annually. When has CONGRESS scheduled their paycut for 2011? Last year they got ANOTHER RAISE - If they would at least give that percentage back, it would be a start.

January 04 2011 at 11:50 AM Report abuse +5 rate up rate down Reply
carlson321

Why is the cuts not coming from the top where it would save the most??? How much will it save to cut the working poor and the old people on social security who cant work?? Food,rent,are shooting up in price.Perhaps the poor should rule this country they know all about saving!!

January 04 2011 at 11:47 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Paula

Andrew Cuomo is starting the ball rolling. I am still waiting for Congress to contribute to this mess.

January 04 2011 at 11:44 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Angel Sierra

They should have done this two years ago. They should also cut back on the ridiculous number of (130,000) public workers the state employees.

January 04 2011 at 11:41 AM Report abuse +5 rate up rate down Reply
Paula

I believe Gov. Andrew Cuomo is taking a 5% decrease in pay which should start the ball rolling for all government officials. He apparently realizes that when you constantly take from the bottom the top collapses. Our government has to redesign their own amenities and start filling from the bottom up. The top is starting to collapse.

January 04 2011 at 11:39 AM Report abuse +5 rate up rate down Reply