Donald Trump Tells Friends He Will Run for President, Report Says

After months of back-and-forth over whether he might run for president, Donald Trump is now telling friends he will definitely throw his hat in the ring in 2012.

The billionaire real estate mogul has said he will announce his candidacy as a Republican when the current season of his hit NBC show "The Apprentice" ends in the spring, Newsmax reported Thursday.

Earlier this week, Trump told Forbes he was encouraged by surveys that found his business acumen would be seen as a positive by voters.

"Polls have come out and have been very strong," Trump said. "A recent poll came out where Trump and [Bill] Gates are the only two that beat [President Barack] Obama. Gates isn't running obviously, but they put names on it, and we're the only ones who beat Obama."

Newsmax said Trump has been seeking recommendations on potential political advisers and that he would focus initially on the Iowa caucus and New Hampshire primary.

"I have dealt with politics all of my life indirectly and directly," Trump said in the Forbes interview. "I would say few people have raised more money for politicians than I have over the years. And the other thing is I don't need money to run, unlike other people, so that's a big advantage. And that's an advantage for the voters, too, you know, because you don't have to make deals."

Trump did not comment Thursday.

In December
, Trump told ABC's "Good Morning America" that mounting a White House campaign "could be fun because I'd like to see some positive things happen for the country." But earlier last year Trump denied considering a run for the White House.

Trump toyed with running in 1988 and again before the 2000 election, but never officially filed a candidacy.

Lillian

Donald Trump is a businessman and a great visionary leader, not a politician. He knows how to get the job done, hire the right people, balance a budget and is very aware of our global existence. Look out Washington, heads would roll! I would vote for him under any ticket, independent, republican, democrat, doesn't and shouldn't matter. We should all want what is best for our country and our economy, he's got my vote for sure and I would support him diligently.

March 07 2011 at 5:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
abookaday

I am a Democrat. After watching Piers Morgan's interview with Trump last night, I have to say I would very seriously consider voting for this guy. His take on what needs to be done with trade (ie China) and outsourcing is spot on.

February 10 2011 at 8:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Loretta

I like Donald Trump. He doesn't talk and talk and talk. The great thing about
Donald Trump is he gets the job done! I believe he will be the greatest President
in the history of the United States of America. He definitely has my vote.

February 09 2011 at 11:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Loretta's comment
markpgapro

Lets run the country like a business, we need straight talk and common sense, Donald isnt into spin and talking out of the side of his mouth. He doesn;t need the money so he can't be bought like the others can be.

February 11 2011 at 11:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bryan

One more thing, I hear about getting us out of the Middle East a lot from people. Not only is it impossible for us to just withdraw from the "Middle East" at this point, it is a war that can not be won. America has interests in the Middle East and until oil is not the life blood of our country we must protect those interests. Voting for a President based on the Middle East issues is like mowing your lawn while your house is burning down, sure you have to keep up your yard but, there are more pressing issues at hand.

February 07 2011 at 2:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dwynnsplace

Thats all we need, Big business mogal running our government in Big businesses interest. Sorry but that idea scarers the heck out of me.

Trump has his hands in every business venture in the US. Talk about violations of ethics.

I hope this rumor is just that.

February 01 2011 at 9:25 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
christclar

I have heard Trump on hannity and micheal savage and so far he totally has my vote

January 29 2011 at 2:31 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
cc4691

I think that would be a great idea. Whether or not he has filed for bankruptcy, is irrelevant now, being that he has emerged better and stronger. He is right. The rest of the world is basically laughing at us because we throw down the walk on me mat, instead of a simple welcome mat. There's a difference. And, Donald understands that.Go Donald!!You have my vote. I'll switch parties for you.

January 08 2011 at 9:29 AM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
luapmi2

I thought Trump has declared bankruptcy three times. America already suffers from that "expertise."

January 08 2011 at 7:46 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to luapmi2's comment
Christine

He didn't come crawling to the government for a bail out both times his real estate business had to declare bankruptcy. He wasn't clamoring for some of that Stimulus money. Also, he personally never filed bankruptcy. Only one of his businesses.

January 08 2011 at 8:31 AM Report abuse +8 rate up rate down Reply
Hello, Elbert

Hey, Christine. That bail for the auto industry saved my and another 50,000 jobs. Would Trump bailout the Auto industry like Obama. Just because a man is/was rich, that doesn't mean he can run a country.

January 08 2011 at 1:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hello ed

Go me.trump we need a change ,and a big one ,you have my vote .

January 08 2011 at 6:21 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply