Christina Taylor Green, September 11, 2001 - January 8, 2011

Christina Taylor Green was born on September 11, 2001. She died in another public display of violence on January 8, 2011.

She was shot in Tucson, along with 19 other people, including Arizona Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords. Five victims died at the scene. Of the six fatalities, only Christina died at the hospital. Her uncle Greg Segalini said she took a bullet in the chest.

The 9-year-old girl had accompanied a neighbor to the "town hall" event in a supermarket parking lot because she wanted to meet Gabrielle Giffords. Christina was newly elected to the student council at Mesa Verde Elementary School.

Christina grew up on the northwest side of Tucson, the same part of town where her alleged killer Jared Lee Loughner went to elementary, middle and high school. Loughner was "disturbed," say those who knew him. He was obsessed with currency, literacy and something he called "conscience dreaming." (Loughner's online ramblings bring to mind the tragic shooting spree at Virginia Tech in 2007.)

Christina's family described her as as "vibrant" and "excited about life." She was the "best daughter in the world." As I type, "Christina Taylor Greene" is trending on Twitter. People around the world offer their thoughts, prayers and sympathies to the family. The word "senseless" appears again and again.

She was the granddaughter of former Phillies manager Dallas Green, and the daughter of Dodgers baseball scout John Green. Christina was the only girl on her Canyon Del Oro baseball team.

Christina was part of the Faces of Hope: Babies Born on 9/11 project. Her entry, on page 42, reads: " I hope you know all the words to the Star Spangled Banner and sing it with your hand over your heart. I hope you jump in rain puddles."

Rounding out her obit: She had just taken her first Holy Communion at St. Odilia Catholic Church. She loved horses, and she wanted to become a veterinarian. She liked to swim. And she studied ballet. Small things matter when your life lasts nine years and no more.

One news site commenter wrote: "I struggle with the 'everything happens for a reason' philosophy, but is her birthday really a coincidence? If we don't find a way to come together instead of railing at each other, I fear for the future our beloved country."

Another wrote: "We are destroying our future by refusing to deal rationally with our present. God bless you child. God help us all."

Follow Donna Trussell on Twitter.
Filed Under: Woman Up, Arizona Shooting

guanagirl527

i cant say how i would feal but i know this my heart goase out to her family i lost my brother at young age and i am 75 and still cant get over it m.r.a in pa

January 15 2011 at 3:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AddEleven

I am so, so sorry for such a loss to your family. I don't believe I could bear it.
I truly cannot even think about the loss of my 10 y.o. grand-daughter, my princess.
My most sincere and heartfelt sympathies to you and to all the victims of that madman. For every death that day there must be at least 100 times as many loved ones left behind who are suffering. What a sad and terrible day that was.

January 10 2011 at 9:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lovingfn

I have always had an interest in Politics, I had at one time ran for Mayor in a small town. Since moving back to a Larger town, and with what all has happened over the past few Years. There is no way I want to run for any offices ever again. I honestly don't think I will ever want to be were others are waiting for my chance to meet any one of any Importance. There are just too many crazy & angry people in the United States. I wish and Pray we could all go back to the Good Old Days. Is that ever a chance?
God Blessed all that was there that and many terrible days. We have lost many good people with this sort of foolishness. God needed some of his Angels to come home.
God Please help the United States.

Mrs. Carla Belgarde

January 10 2011 at 8:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bonbon

I don't know how that mother can talk right now going through this grief, i can't imagine, so sorry for their loss, what a horrible tragedy. God Bless the victims and their families.

January 10 2011 at 1:05 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
pamiss45

My deepest sympathies to the entire family of this beautiful child.
I cannot even begin to understand how someone could hurt an innocent child.
We need to change our mental health laws and make mental/psychiatric hospitals available and mandatory - this may not have happened if he had been admitted after the college suspended him in October.

January 10 2011 at 3:57 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Yogeh

people...life is unknown...a little girl who knows how to contribute to the good of the country.(good parents) ......is just gone for no reason.. .they (parents) lost everything they had..i am sad for their loss and the loss of a great budding leader..My prayers go out to the family and friends of this little girl.

January 10 2011 at 1:16 AM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
kelali3

May God Bless your beautiful, little daughter... I am sure that the angels have guided her home. May God give you strength and ease your pain, which must be unbearable. Know that you will one day be united with your precious child, and may she never be forgotten. Our deepest sympathy to you and all the victims of this demonic act...

January 10 2011 at 12:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kencowart

After I logged on to comment, I realized I had no words that could express the sadness I feel at this terrible loss. My prayers go out to the family and friends of this little girl.

January 09 2011 at 10:47 PM Report abuse +6 rate up rate down Reply
melanie

We can never understand why something this terrible and aweful had to happen. It will never make sense. There are NO WORDS. I am so sorry for your loss of your beautiful daughter. My prayers are with your family. So sad.

January 09 2011 at 10:40 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
cque8

It is just so sad that a tragedy like this is being batted around for Political reasons. Blaming Sarah Palin. The Tea Party. How about blaming the person who did this and HIS sick twisted warped thinking... This isn't political...IT'S HATRED.

January 09 2011 at 10:25 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply