Chris Christie: 'I'm Not Arrogant Enough' to Run for President in 2012

Some Republicans may have been emboldened by news that Chris Christie outperformed other potential GOP presidential contenders in a recent poll, but the New Jersey governor isn't among them.
"I am not arrogant enough to believe that after one year as governor . . . that I am ready to be president of the United States," he told Chris Wallace on "Fox News Sunday."
According to a Zogby poll released Jan. 3, Christie would beat President Obama 43 percent to 40 percent, a better showing than that of other, higher-profile Republicans who have said they are considering a run. Former Massachusetts Gov. (and 2008 presidential candidate) Mitt Romney would run even with Obama, the poll found. Sarah Palin and Mike Huckabee would lose to the president.
Despite the promising tea leaves, Christie said, "I don't think you run just because the political opportunity is there. That's how we wind up with politicians who aren't ready for their jobs."
Stressing that he has "a commitment to my state. . . . I've only been governor for a year; New Jersey's problems are not fixed," Christie assured Obama that he "can rest easy because the only guy who beats him in that poll isn't running."
He didn't rule out a bid in 2016, but stressed that "you have to believe in your heart that you're personally ready to be president, and I'm not there."

sonny

Oh man..This guy has principled cahones'.... I mean for crying out loud, Obama would just now be finishing his first term as a senator!..and look what happens when you have no real experience...And save the skin color and Nazi remarks...My two best friends are Mexican and Dominican...Both Consevative Republicans..-------"I desire so to conduct the affairs of this administration that if at the end... I have lost every other friend on earth, I shall at least have one friend left, and that friend shall be down inside of me."
Abraham Lincoln-------

Principles..

January 25 2011 at 9:43 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
nickguyol

That Christie is honest enough to know his experiential limitations, and has the integrity to state he's not ready, in my opinion is one of the chief qualifiers to be president. A huge desire to be president should disqualify someone. It would have disqualified Clinton, W, and O, three pretty poor presidents who had the ego but not necessarily the ethical strengths to make a good or excellent president.

January 25 2011 at 1:44 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
theonlymagicrat

I'm a socially just-slightly-left-of-center, fiscally conservative Repub. I also live in N.J. and follow our politics closely. Christie came out of nowhere to win Governorship, mostly as just a big "no" to Corzine. As a huge proponent of education, I did not like how he handled the budget as far as teachers etc. However, I do see the need to rein them in a bit. But, in all other areas I have found him to be the ideal guy for the job to turn around a fiscal crisis the likes of which have not been seen since Mayor Lindsay's New York City. His refreshing honesty in this situation is both savvy and an antidote to the shrill Palincentric Tea Partiers. Sarah Palin quit to get onto the national stage. She will never be forgiven for that, and has made herself rich but irrelevant. Christie has taken note and is gearing himself to take the center of both parties, which is where a presidential victory always lies, and he is wary of taking on social issues, which I for one find appealing.

January 25 2011 at 12:51 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
anomybc

The funny thing about all the talk about Chris Christie running for President is that it's still very unclear if he can even win re-election as Governor :)

Also, he'd never win the Republican nomination because Southerners, religious conservatives and social conservatives would never vote for him.

January 21 2011 at 11:04 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
mjk258

While I am not fan of Christie, I agree with some of the things has said, but surely not enough of them to vote for him. I am encouraged by this statement though, shows alot more common sense than some others, namely Palin, cause Christie is much more qualified than she is.

January 21 2011 at 6:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave

no but arrogant enough to run for gov. of n.j.

January 17 2011 at 7:57 PM Report abuse +9 rate up rate down Reply
Richard

Romeny would get a ton of votes from Clinton Dems (like me) who are still peeved that Hillary didn't get the nomination. It isn't the Democrats who dislike Romney; it's the evangelicals in his own party and the far right wing that has it out for him.

January 17 2011 at 7:33 PM Report abuse -13 rate up rate down Reply
jjjohnblack061

How much arrogance do it take? You mean this man think he's not arrogant enough?

January 17 2011 at 5:26 PM Report abuse +7 rate up rate down Reply
wyhenry2

A true Leader with not ego. Who is willing to make the hard decisions. Wish Maryland had a governor like him.

January 17 2011 at 5:12 PM Report abuse -5 rate up rate down Reply
jlopesconcrete

We need 50 govs like Christie.

January 17 2011 at 3:03 PM Report abuse -6 rate up rate down Reply