Bill Frist Tells Republicans to Drop Efforts to Repeal Health Care Reform

Former Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist (R-Tenn.) has a message for Republicans moving to repeal President Obama's landmark health care reform law: Don't.

Frist, a physician who retired from Congress in 2007, said while the legislation is not perfect, and "not the bill that I would have drafted," it is "the law of the land."

He suggests that instead of mounting an effort to repeal it (which is doomed in the House), Republicans should use the law as a "platform" to improve the law.

Frist made the comments during a press conference hosted by the Bipartisan Policy Center (BPC), The Huffington Post reported.

He said the bill has elements that Republicans should be able to get behind, particularly its "federalism" approach to providing health care.

"[The bill] has many strong elements," Frist said, according to The Huffington Post. "And those elements, whatever happens, need to be preserved, need to be cuddled, need to be snuggled, need to be promoted and need to be implemented."

Frist has teamed up with another retired senator and former majority leader, Tom Daschle (D-S.D.), to lead a bipartisan project sponsored by the BPC to help state governors, legislators and other officials implement the new health care law.

ABC News
reported that their project will focus on three challenges states face as they transition to the new rules: insurance exchanges, insurance reforms and delivery systems.

The BPC effort kicks off as Congress prepares to debate repealing the health care reform law.

"Moving forward, we know there remains a great political divide over the political future of our health care system but the need for substantive discussions and cooperation and working toward our shared goals has never been greater," Daschle said Tuesday.

Former Ohio Gov. Ted Strickland, a Democrat, will lead the efforts with states, ABC News said.

80%

215 Comments

Filter by:
insl9

I can name two reasons why the Republican Party is held in contempt by many intelligent, independent thinkers; that would be Bill Frist and Karl Rove.

February 18 2011 at 11:29 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
mstrbassplyr

When are the Politicians that support "Obamacare" going to come forth and declare they will take the same coverage for their own families? This is the absolute bottom line...Oh and by the way...One system for ALL would create vast inprovements in the bill VERY QUICKLY !!!

January 24 2011 at 5:30 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Carol

What a waste of time, all this political game-playing. Why not work to improve the bill! From what I understand, small businesses are liking what they can offer to their employees and isn't that good for the insurance companies too? Sounds like Republicans should take heed and start getting something productive done by working with the Democrats. Symbolic gesture, my foot! Political solidarity, but so what. You are accomplishing nothing!

January 20 2011 at 6:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
xtrees130

If the Obama healthcare bill is so great then why has President Barack Hussein Obama, todate, granted 'approx.' 220 healthcare WAIVERS . Waivers have been granted to Unions, Corporations and Non-Profits. -- UNIONS have received 'approx.' 44 WAIVERS . One of the largest UNIONS to receive a WAIVER of the Obama healthcare bill is SEIU(Service Employees International Union). The largest CORPORATION to receive a WAIVER is CIGNA and their 'approx.' 265,000 workers.

Per documents posted online by the HHS(Dept. of Health and Human Services) the REASON the president has ok'd these WAIVERS is - to stave off massive policy cancellations and rate hikes affecting 'approx.' 1.5 million workers in America.

QUESTION to President Barack Hussein Obama - I am a worker and American citizen - if all these people are granted WAIVERS and are EXEMPT from the LAW, then why shouldn't the rest of Americans have that choice?

January 20 2011 at 4:21 AM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to xtrees130's comment
fpfp040408

please tell us where to find these " waivers" in the bill, give the exact part and section . I can not find any such " waivers " in the bill at all ! Please do not in the future take take what Glen Beck says as true.

January 20 2011 at 10:31 AM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
vans346

Waivers are not in the bill they were granted by the head of the Health and Human services department for the friends of Obama.

February 01 2011 at 8:27 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Dave and Judy

As a former registered Democrat (47 years) I denounced the Democratic party when my representatives failed to read the Healthcare Reform Act and pushed it down our throats. AT&T has stated they will drop employee healthcare benefits when this mess is in effect and pay the fine as the fine will be cheaper than providing healthcare benefits like their employees have today. Oh yea, how about the retired AT&T workers, there is no protection for their healthcare benefits to be continued. They are stuck with ObamaCare. Our Senate representatives will know they screwed up when their next election day is here. They will get what we just gave the House or Representatives. I am proud to be UNAFFILIATED to any party in Washington. But, I sure would like to have the healthcare they have.
Our fearless leaders in D.C. have bankrupted our country at our expense. All I want to do is sing a Hymn for them! And some of you know those words.

January 19 2011 at 11:40 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Dave and Judy's comment
AL

What took you so long: To find out the democrat party has for 50 years destroyed what is left of the constitution, and indulged in invasion of privacy, promoted the global warming hoax, destroyed the large corporations that millions benefited with a standard of living the envy of the world, allowed an army of unelected bureaucrats to dictate to you what toilet you use, what will be on your car, what light bulb you will use, and on and on and on and on like the battery rabbit.

February 02 2011 at 11:15 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Joe

I guess he was wrong about it not passing in the house-

January 19 2011 at 9:44 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
jbelcer

Ok get rid of the individual mandate which is what the GOP wanted under Clintoncare but make anyone who doesn't sign up for healthcare sign away their rights to join after they get older and get sick or have a major injury.

January 19 2011 at 8:16 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
fpfp040408

God Bless OBAMA, he is changing things for the positive and making this nation stronger, better, and healthier

January 19 2011 at 1:09 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to fpfp040408's comment
xtrees130

TO - fpfp040408 -
You should keep on 'blessing' President Barack Hussein Obama, as much as you can, as he will need everyone of those 'blessings' plus many,many more in order to not be a one-term president. I can hardly wait for 2012 and saying bye-bye to him. Think about the following idiomatic expression = 'Fool me once, shame on you; Fool me twice, shame on me". Be a 'critical' thinker - not an emotional one.
This is not a game. We are talking about electing the best person to be the president of this country - not the president of the class at your high school or college.

January 20 2011 at 4:30 AM Report abuse -4 rate up rate down Reply
Sharon

Oh COME ON!! It's time for the GOP to step up to the plate. They pushed all the lies about the healthcare bill, and probably actually believed them....now it's time for them to really read the bill and put their money where their mouth is!

It's political suicide and I think it would be best for the Democrates to step aside and let the GOP hang themselves!!

I can't wait to watch this one!

January 19 2011 at 11:08 AM Report abuse +6 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Sharon's comment
xtrees130

Do you already forget what the vote was when the Obama healthcare bill was passed?? In case you have forgotten it was 220 to 215(super close) - no 'landslide' victory as some Democrats would have you remember). Oh yeah - there were 39 DEMOCRATS who voted AGAINST it.

I remember thinking at the time that it was refreshing to see there are some Democrats that apply 'critical' thinking vs. 'emotional' thinking.

January 20 2011 at 4:46 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
WD Simmons

The folks that voted against it did not read either so they don't what they voted against. They just did as they were told like all the GOP faithful do. They decided to make every effort to bring the president down the very day he was elected so anything the republican party had to say from that point forward was suspect.

January 19 2011 at 9:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply