Hot on HuffPost:

See More Stories

Michele Bachmann's Fine, but Superfluous, Rebuttal

3 years ago
  0 Comments Say Something  »
Text Size
Yesterday, I argued that Rep. Michele Bachmann's "tea party rebuttal" to the State of the Union address could backfire on conservatives. Rep. Paul Ryan, who was scheduled to deliver the official GOP response, is, after all, a capable conservative communicator. Why dilute his message?

What's more, I reasoned, Bachmann might say something controversial, which would suck up the limited amount of media attention devoted to the opposition party. Thus, my argument against Bachmann's speech was simply tactical -- she risked "stepping on" Ryan's response and muddying the coherent message.

But there was also a strategic argument for Bachmann's speech helping conservatives. If it were more conservative than Ryan's, she could expand the "Overton window," positioning Ryan's remarks as the moderate or centrist position between the extremes of Obama and Bachmann.

At the end of the day, none of it mattered. Bachmann's remarks were not terribly controversial (my guess is she may have toned them down after realizing she was on thin ice simply by delivering the speech).

There were also some technical issues, which were probably not her fault, but they detracted from the message. The primary one was that the camera she looked into -- with the teleprompter -- was not the camera that broadcast her image. As a result, and unfortunately, she wasn't making eye contact with the American people.

Had Bachmann's speech wowed us by making Ryan's remarks look comparatively small, hers might have been a hit and thus become a tradition. Or had the speech been a train wreck, generating the wrong kind of media attention and diverting attention from Ryan, that still might have been better -- in terms of making this speech a tradition.

But my guess is it might be even harder for the Tea Party Express to get media coverage for a response next year. Ultimately, Bachmann committed the real unforgivable sin. She was . . . boring.

Our New Approach to Comments

In an effort to encourage the same level of civil dialogue among Politics Daily’s readers that we expect of our writers – a “civilogue,” to use the term coined by PD’s Jeffrey Weiss – we are requiring commenters to use their AOL or AIM screen names to submit a comment, and we are reading all comments before publishing them. Personal attacks (on writers, other readers, Nancy Pelosi, George W. Bush, or anyone at all) and comments that are not productive additions to the conversation will not be published, period, to make room for a discussion among those with ideas to kick around. Please read our Help and Feedback section for more info.

Add a Comment

*0 / 3000 Character Maximum Comment Moderation Enabled. Your comment will appear after it is cleared by an editor.

4 Comments

Filter by:
Richard

So making a speech to the 20% (possibly exaggerated on the high side) who think that this is worthwhile .... how does this affect the other 80% of us who don't care what she thinks or says? This is like saying that liberals will miss Keith Obermann. No they don't.

January 26 2011 at 4:56 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
El Presidente

Watch out for this woman. She's got a self-awareness Sarah Palin lacks. IMO she was very smart to be "boring". Yeah, she tilted her data points, but so what, interpreting bar graphs is beyond most of us. Head-to-head I think she'd blow Sarah into the weeds.

January 26 2011 at 10:46 AM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
gobucsmom

Did you look carefully at her charts? She put the Bush years in red, the Obama years in blue, BUT when she labelled the unemployment chart, she put 2008, when unemployment skyrocked, in blue. President OBama wasn't sworn in until January 2009. Liar!

January 26 2011 at 9:02 AM Report abuse +23 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to gobucsmom's comment
tausands

In case you've not been paying close attention, the Republicans have tried to blame Obama for the cost of Bush's two wars and his tax cut simply because Obama had no choice but to put those debts on the budget since Bush left them fully unpaid for. So, in effect, they're also blaming Obama for all the debt racked up since 2002.

January 26 2011 at 9:24 AM Report abuse +27 rate up rate down Reply

Follow Politics Daily

  • Comics
robert-and-donna-trussell
CHAOS THEORY
Featuring political comics by Robert and Donna TrussellMore>>
  • Woman UP Video
politics daily videos
Weekly Videos
Woman Up, Politics Daily's Online Sunday ShowMore»
politics daily videos
TV Appearances
Showcasing appearances by Politics Daily staff and contributors.More>>