John Boehner: Smoke Gets in His Teary Eyes

First it was his weepiness, now it's his smoking -- John Boehner just can't catch a break.

Near the end of an 18-minute interview on "Fox News Sunday" about the debt ceiling, GOP plans for spending cuts and other weighty matters, the new House speaker had to contend with two other vexing issues.

"Why don't you stop smoking?" host Chris Wallace asked.
Boehner had a question of his own: "Why do we bring this up again?" he replied, a bit exasperated.

"It's a bad habit, but I have it. It's a legal product. I choose to smoke." He added with a smile, "Leave me alone."

The Ohio congressman was understandably annoyed, having just defended himself -- again -- over complaints that he cries too easily.

"I feel strongly about what I do. . . . I came here to do something on behalf of the American people," he said, appearing to tear up a bit over the subject that's become a touchy one since he was elected leader of the new Republican majority in the House. "I feel strongly about that. I get emotional. Last night at the Alfalfa Club dinner" -- an annual black-tie event at which Washington's high and mighty poke fun at each other -- "if it weren't for my emotions, I don't know if they had anything else to talk about."

But, Wallace interjected, "even some of your supporters say [crying] makes you look weak or strange."

"I am who I am," he responded. ". . . Yes, I do wear my emotions on my sleeve. I'm not going to apologize."

Watch the video below. The crying/smoking comments begin at the 16:37 mark.

jwemrw

Boehner, the weeper of the house, plays golf, and ingests merlot unmercifully; not necessarily in that order. But give the man credit, he ain't turned down an insurance, oil, or financial corporation check yet!

February 21 2011 at 3:52 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
smitty

Tears well up if the parents of a sick child would be able to be insured so that the child can go see a doctor and recieve treatment. Why would americans expect such a crazy thing for all of us?

January 31 2011 at 6:03 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
nanan1937

Seen enough alcoholics to know the weeping is associated with to much booze. Heaven help us he's only 2 heartbeats away from the presidency.

January 31 2011 at 5:13 PM Report abuse +7 rate up rate down Reply
JERRY

Even though the speaker of the house and I are of different political persuasions, in his defense I think that we should lay off the criticism of things that are personal, like crying smoking etc.
And deal with things of substance, the smoking is personal the information is out on the damage that it does to our bodies, and the crying I think we need more sentimental people in politics on both sides of the aisle, so just give him a towel and leave him a alone.

January 31 2011 at 4:57 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
bnhopeful7

John Boehner has confessed to loving merlot. Wonder if there is a correlation with the amount of wine consumption and inappropriate show of emotions.

January 31 2011 at 3:30 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to bnhopeful7's comment
entweek

Nothing wrong with liking Merlot. But "loving" it -- and consuming it in enormous quantities on a daily basis, as Boehner does -- is another thing altogether. He needs professional help.

February 21 2011 at 1:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
fpfp040408

I am very worried that a man in such an important position exhibits such lack of control and has obvious symptoms and signs of a very serious mental illness known as chronic depression.

January 31 2011 at 2:45 PM Report abuse +7 rate up rate down Reply
rann948

Nobody seemed to be so bothered when Bill "Ah hear yo pain" Clinton teared up. Then it was a "sensitive" president. LOL. The liberals are testing out all the nasty personal things they can say about republicans as they begin their campaigning. Go ahead. I have spent my forty voting years holding to my Independence. Obama/Pelosi/Reid have guaranteed that I will NEVER vote for a democrat again.

January 31 2011 at 2:27 PM Report abuse -7 rate up rate down Reply
Bonbon

I like Boehner, and at least he doesn't hide his smoking like someone we know??tehe!!!

January 31 2011 at 1:19 PM Report abuse -6 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Bonbon's comment
bnhopeful7

If you are referring to the President, he does not "hide" his smoking. He has revealed that it is a problem for him, and that he is trying to stop the habit.

January 31 2011 at 3:32 PM Report abuse +7 rate up rate down Reply
entweek

Apparently the Pres has quit. Wish Boehner had the guts to at least try.

February 21 2011 at 1:37 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
mvistafarm

I am who I am......Popeye couldn't have said it better....having emotions and feelings are what being an American is all about. John Boehner is an American and he doesn't hide his background, his work history, his school records or his birth certificate. He was raised and schooled in American and aquired American values and was not raised in a foreign country with different values. I too get emotional with being proud of family and our national accomplishments and values. May we all strive to be as American as Speaker John Boehner.

January 31 2011 at 1:11 PM Report abuse -5 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to mvistafarm's comment
llplo00

It is unseemly for someone in his position to cry only about himself....he can't seem to find the emotion to cry about all the other people n the country that are in dire situations that he has never experienced personally...like the lack of healthcare when you are very sick and your insurance runs out or when you lost a job because of the recession and you have a family to feed.

Boehner...keep your tears to yourself! if he were a woman, nobody would give him a break about his tears!

February 21 2011 at 10:21 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
entweek

He hides his drinking. That's a problem, not so much for us but for him. He needs professional help.

February 21 2011 at 1:38 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
tistolaugh

Obama smokes. Let's write a whole story about that.

January 31 2011 at 12:28 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to tistolaugh's comment
RICK

he said he quit

January 31 2011 at 1:30 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
entweek

Whole stories have been written about it. But that was before he quit. You should read more.

February 21 2011 at 1:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply