On 'Letterman,' Mitt Romney Reads Top 10 Things You Don't Know About Him

Politics is always changing, and now some of the obligatory stops for would-be presidential candidates include not just trips to Iowa and New Hampshire but late-night visits with David Letterman, Jay Leno and "Saturday Night Live."

So it was not surprising to see Republican Mitt Romney pop up on Letterman's show Tuesday night and make his mark by reading the program's trademark "Top 10 List," which in this case was "Top 10 Things You Don't Know About Mitt Romney."

The list may not quite rank as the best collection of "Top 10" knee-slappers, but the polished Romney, appearing tie-less ("I begged him to put on a tie," Letterman said), delivered them with the aplomb of a veteran performer. (Which, after all, is another modern-day requirement for successful presidential aspirants).

10. Mitt is short for Mitt-thew.

9. I can't begin my day until I've read the Washington Post and Kim Kardashian's tweets.

8. I'm the guy in the photo that comes with your picture frame.

7. I spent 6 months in a Mexican prison for selling black market pillow pets.

6. Do I smell as good as I look? No.

5. In high school, I was voted "Mittiest"

4. I got into politics for the piles and piles of paperwork.

3. Look for my best-selling biography "They Call Me Baba Romney"

2. I have absolutely no idea where my birth certificate is.

1. Oprah is my half-sister.

methnkng

I wonder if Letterman will have Palin on?

February 05 2011 at 6:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dealemilyn

Liberals slam the Republicans at every opportunity. But when you think about it....who was slammed in November? That's where it counts.

February 05 2011 at 8:16 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
noble1918

This is certainly the time that we need a president with some foreign affairs experience in abundance. It unfortunately seems that President Obama is traveling the same road as did President Carter (with his failed policy with Iran and abandoning the Shah). We need a president who is not always throwing people under the bus when he feels the heat from the public or to only protect his own image. This is not good leadership. There is a long history of Egypt supporting the U.S. even when it might not have been in their best interest. We must always honor those friendships in good and bad times.

February 04 2011 at 7:27 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
fpfp040408

Now we have another Republican joke - Romney . With Palin they would make a great pair like Abbott and Costello, Lewis & Martin, Moe & Curly, Laurel & hardy, ETC

February 02 2011 at 5:27 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
fpfp040408

Romney would make a good stand up comic . he could just make fun of himself all the time.

February 02 2011 at 5:24 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
exnyorker

So now Romney's handlers are trying to make him seem less stiff, less packaged, a bit humble. Americans are looking more at imagine, sound-bytes, slogans, misrepresentations and distortions rather than at SUBSTANCE. This is what I call "SUBSTANCE abuse".

February 02 2011 at 4:47 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
fpfp040408

Cutie 1:17 PM Feb 2, 2011 (3) (1)
......of course Mitt did it first, that's the joke, do it before Letterman can. Listen to L and Stewart in the next several months
CUTIE : so if Mitt Romney thought someone was going to throw him off a cliff , Romney would do it first, does not sound very bright to me.

February 02 2011 at 3:03 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
tplapper

I think Huckabee comes across as more honest than Romney. There is something about Romney that I don't trust.

February 02 2011 at 1:08 PM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to tplapper's comment
Realtors

I think that Huckabee or Romney would be much more trustworthy than the status quo.... if you know what I mean...

February 02 2011 at 5:01 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
fpfp040408

Romney read the top 10 list, making fun of himself and made himself look like a fool. Is this the type of person who should govern, no way he is presidential material. Romney has proved he is not to be taken seriously and is a joke.

February 02 2011 at 12:53 PM Report abuse -4 rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to fpfp040408's comment
dc walker

..it has begun.....the NY so called comedians have started their bombardment against conservative candidates......make a list of how many liberal candidates they do this to.

February 02 2011 at 12:36 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply