Politics is always changing, and now some of the obligatory stops for would-be presidential candidates include not just trips to Iowa and New Hampshire but late-night visits with David Letterman, Jay Leno and "Saturday Night Live."
So it was not surprising to see Republican Mitt Romney pop up on Letterman's show Tuesday night and make his mark by reading the program's trademark "Top 10 List," which in this case was "Top 10 Things You Don't Know About Mitt Romney."
The list may not quite rank as the best collection of "Top 10" knee-slappers, but the polished Romney, appearing tie-less ("I begged him to put on a tie," Letterman said), delivered them with the aplomb of a veteran performer. (Which, after all, is another modern-day requirement for successful presidential aspirants).
10. Mitt is short for Mitt-thew.
9. I can't begin my day until I've read the Washington Post and Kim Kardashian's tweets.
8. I'm the guy in the photo that comes with your picture frame.
7. I spent 6 months in a Mexican prison for selling black market pillow pets.
6. Do I smell as good as I look? No.
5. In high school, I was voted "Mittiest"
4. I got into politics for the piles and piles of paperwork.
3. Look for my best-selling biography "They Call Me Baba Romney"
2. I have absolutely no idea where my birth certificate is.
In an effort to encourage the same level of civil dialogue among Politics Daily’s readers that we expect of our writers – a “civilogue,” to use the term coined by PD’s Jeffrey Weiss – we are requiring commenters to use their AOL or AIM screen names to submit a comment, and we are reading all comments before publishing them. Personal attacks (on writers, other readers, Nancy Pelosi, George W. Bush, or anyone at all) and comments that are not productive additions to the conversation will not be published, period, to make room for a discussion among those with ideas to kick around. Please read our Help and Feedback section for more info.