My Farewell* Post to Politics Daily Readers

For the last couple of years, I have been honored and privileged to be a part of the superb Politics Daily team. It is with some reluctance that I announce my imminent departure from PD for The Daily Caller.

PD remains a unique place on the Web, where diverse and often nuanced opinions are welcomed and encouraged -- and where civil debate over incredibly serious (and occasionally trivial) political ideas and news takes place on a daily basis.

But while I have loved my tenure at PD, recent news that AOL had acquired The Huffington Post -- and that Arianna Huffington would become editor in chief of many AOL sites -- alarmed me.

I've met Ms. Huffington exactly once -- on the set of "Nightline's" election night coverage. She could not have been kinder. Additionally, I have even authored an article or two for her site (on tech issues) over the years. This is all to say that I have no personal issue with Ms. Huffington, and that I am not a "Huff-hater."

However, writing a guest post is different from working for someone, and it occurs to me that AOL has vastly underestimated the public perception (I would argue the accurate impression) that Huffington is a far-left liberal.

Obviously, I am more than happy to write for a mainstream news outlet where differing opinions are allowed to flourish, but I am less comfortable with the notion of being permanently affiliated with an overtly left-of-center (sometimes activist) outlet.

As a conservative (albeit, an admittedly iconoclastic one), it is vital that I maintain the freedom to call them like I see them.

Other conservatives or libertarians might make a different call, and I would not disparage them for doing so.

I am incredibly blessed to be joining a terrific organization in The Daily Caller. I look forward to learning from its founder and editor in chief, Tucker Carlson, and working alongside the terrific team he has assembled. The Daily Caller and Tucker Carlson personify iconoclastic conservatism, and so I am hopeful I will quickly fit in.

You might be wondering why I'm telling you this now. The plan -- as of now -- is for me to remain here at PD for a couple of weeks before officially moving on in March. But rather than writing my farewell post on my last day (as is typically how such matters are handled), I wanted to write about this today. (That may make this a bit premature, but it is because of you -- the readers -- that all of us here have the honor of writing about politics, and therefore you deserve to know.)

I will miss PD, and I am forever indebted to the entire PD team -- especially Editor in Chief Melinda Henneberger and Executive Editor Carl Cannon. These are incredibly kind, smart, and classy folks, and it has been an honor to work for them and to learn from them.

As someone who began as a blogger (not a reporter), it has been incredibly rewarding to work alongside some of the top journalists in America, and to learn from people with such journalistic credibility and writing chops.

To paraphrase and conflate a couple of recent farewells: Good night and good luck. I'm taking my talents to South Beach!

(* Though a "farewell" column, this isn't my last post for Politics Daily.)

joe

Matt best wishes in your new endeavors. I always read your columns because they were the only ones I could find on PD that did have some hint of conservatism. However no fair minded person could ever accuse of having a hard right bias. But for sure you will have to accept that characterization now that you have said that AOL's acquiring of Huffington Post had something to do with your departure from PD. Good luck and I hope to read you on the Daily Caller soon.

February 28 2011 at 5:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dstockw200

Well Mr. Lewis I feel by you stating you are leaving because of Huffs liberal views is ridiculous to use as an excuse, so you go ahead and write for a far right agenda if this makes your day! And to imply that you will not be able to "maintain the freedom to call them like I see them" is surely an accusation that I feel is unjust and as I see it, yes Huff leans Liberal if you consider telling it like it is Liberal then so be it! Come on tell us the truth, you got more money didn't you?

February 12 2011 at 10:22 PM Report abuse -4 rate up rate down Reply
Richard

Good for you . I'm always STUNNED with how wildly out of touch the far Left is with the rest of us . I only put up with AOL all these year because I'm comfortable with their format. I'm done with AOL...now all remaining nutcases from the left can talk to themselve ...all dozen or so. Hey AOL STUPID move

February 12 2011 at 12:54 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
janetchinz

I share your concerns and applaud your courage to share them with your readers in this public format. Good luck to you!

February 09 2011 at 8:56 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
pgbrooke

Happy Trails, Mr. Lewis. I seldom agree with your point of view. But, I respect the way you present yourself and your ideas.

February 08 2011 at 8:27 PM Report abuse +9 rate up rate down Reply
jjohnblack090

jhanson2463 If all of you depart right this very minute it wouldn't be soon enough for me. There are some conservatives here who have made a mockery out of this forum in that they love to delete liberal post and let there post stay. This has been going on now for nearly half a year. To that I ask you and the rest of the conservatives who continue to do this is what happened to your so called respect for the 1st amendment? I thought that defending it was a part of the tea party mantra? Clearly they only support the constitution when it is something in it for them.

February 08 2011 at 7:31 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to jjohnblack090's comment
jhanson2463

I have read many of your posts, and admittedly I seldom agree with you. I have never asked anyone to delete your posts and I would not. You have every right to your opinion and the right to express it. I do not call for for less speech for you or anyone else. Let's disagree vigorously and with passion. Maybe we will learn something from each other in the end.

February 08 2011 at 8:54 PM Report abuse +11 rate up rate down Reply
jhanson2463

Mr. Lewis allow me to add my congratulations on your new position. I wish you well. I would also ask my fellow readers to reconsider you promises to go elsewhere. Whether we all depart AOL or not Ms. Huffington will still have her forum. She will still spread liberal thought through these pages. If we all depart who will say, "No, you are wrong!" When those who are tempted to accept what they are told because no one opposes it read these liberal ideas how will you help them? When your neighbors bring up liberal ideas how will you counter them? You cannot counter an idea you have not heard. Right now Mr. Corn is calling for the silencing of Glenn Beck here on PD. Let's not join those who would silence the opposition. Let us read them, understand them and counter their ideas with informed logic.

February 08 2011 at 6:12 PM Report abuse -5 rate up rate down Reply
johoech

I too will probably cancel my Aol account after 18 years because of this acquisition. I've already read a few articles and I am sorely disappointed at the ridiculously subjective writing. Best of luck, Matt. And farewell, Aol.

February 08 2011 at 6:09 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
CONWAYS

Mr Lewis ~

Bravo!

DEC
Glendale CA

February 08 2011 at 6:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
g4advertising

I too am alarmed by the elevation of "The Huff" as creative director. Clearly as a Euro she sees America in a differernt light. Less like Alexis de Tocqueville, in who's eyes we see the "shinning city on the hill".
She sees America as intrinsically bad. No American exceptionlism for her. Torture,warlike,bigoted,racist etc.

February 08 2011 at 5:17 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply