Rep. Gabrielle Giffords Recovering 'at Lightning Speed,' Husband Mark Kelly Says

Saying there are "encouraging signs every day," the husband of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.) wrote Tuesday that the congresswoman is making a robust recovery since being shot in the head during a rampage in Tucson, Ariz., that left six dead and 13 wounded.

In a Facebook posting on the one-month anniversary of the shooting, Navy Capt. Mark Kelly told supporters, "Your prayers are being heard."

Doctors say Giffords is recovering "at lightning speed considering her injury but they aren't kidding when they say this is a marathon process," Kelly, a NASA astronaut, continued in his post.

"Gabby's appetite is back and – even though it's hospital food – she's enjoying three meals a day," he wrote. "We can't thank you enough for the heartfelt show of support that has come in from all around Arizona and the nation."

He did not offer specifics of Giffords' injuries or her recovery.

The suspect in the shooting, 22-year-old Jared Loughner, has pleaded not guilty to charges that he tried to kill the congresswoman and two of her aides Jan. 8 outside a Tucson supermarket. Prosecutors are expected to file more charges, including murder, ahead of Loughner's trial in Phoenix.

"I want the families of all the other victims and the entire Tucson community to know that Gabrielle will soon stand by your side to mourn this tragedy and learn how we can heal," Kelly wrote.

Last week
, Kelly announced that he would command the Space Shuttle Endeavour when it takes off for a two-week orbital mission in mid-April.
Filed Under: Arizona Shooting

universallite

Go Lady Go - Please Run

February 13 2011 at 12:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
beobide

God Bless you Gabby, & your dear Husband

February 09 2011 at 4:35 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Cap'n Huzzypoop

Praise God!

February 09 2011 at 3:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Cap'n Huzzypoop's comment
trobin9

Actually, Praise her doctors!

February 09 2011 at 4:02 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Robtoehl

Go Mark Go!

February 09 2011 at 3:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SillyPuddie09

I bet she has the best health care coverage that I help pay for with my tax dollars while my son with diabetes can't even get health care. I sound horrible don't I, but I really don't care any longer. I've always worked hard (recently unemployed), always believed in paying my fair share and do and paid all my bills on time and still do barely...I really don't need a day by day progress report on her or any politician. I want to hear how I can get my son health insurance. I want to hear how our government is going to tackle companies that are taking advantage of their workers while making records profits, etc.....

February 09 2011 at 3:38 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to SillyPuddie09's comment
Charlie

When the Affordable Health Care Plan kicks in completely, your son will have coverage, unless the Republicans kill it first.

February 09 2011 at 4:31 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
RICH

God bless Gabby ! What wonderful news and I pray that it continues.

February 09 2011 at 3:30 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
Gary & Karen

I'm so happy to know she is progressing rapidly! Just the fact that she survived is a miracle! I think about it every day and also of the others who lost their lives and those who were wounded and had loved ones hurt! I wish there was a better way to prevent this kind of tragedy!

February 09 2011 at 3:25 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
bkdcarr

I wish only the Best for Mrs. Gifford, but fearful at the lack of real information that is being released. No word on her speech, nor if those 3 means a day are still though a feeding tube.

February 09 2011 at 3:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
VLabat

God is good and cares for those who cares for others.

Vera Labat

February 09 2011 at 3:16 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Chris

This is the nicest news posssible and I like that the comments are all so intelligent and thoughtful. God Bless all who have prayed for the victims and the families of that horrible tragedy.

February 09 2011 at 3:16 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply