Sarah Palin Calls Breastfeeding Good -- Considering Rising Price of Milk

Sarah Palin got a laugh out of a crowd of New York business leaders Thursday when she made a reference to Michelle Obama's support for breastfeeding.

At the wide-ranging question-and-answer session on Long Island, the former Alaska governor brought up the rising cost of gas and groceries.

"No wonder Michelle Obama is telling everybody, 'You'd better breastfeed your baby,' " said Palin, according to The New York Times. "Yeah, you'd better, because the price of milk is so high right now."

As the crowd broke into laughter, she added, "And may that not be the takeaway, please, of this speech."

Earlier this week, Rep. Michele Bachmann, R-Minn., slammed the first lady's push to get mothers to breastfeed their children as a way to reduce childhood obesity, saying it amounted to too much government intervention.

As Politics Daily's Lynn Sweet reported, Michelle Obama will speak out to remove barriers to breastfeeding, following a recent White House push for relaxed workplace rules and an Internal Revenue Service ruling that breast pumps and other nursing supplies are eligible for tax breaks.

"I've given birth to five babies and I breastfed every single one," Bachmann told conservative radio host Laura Ingraham Tuesday. "To think that government has to go out and buy my breast pump . . . That's the new definition of a nanny state."

Palin has criticized Michelle Obama's positions in the past. In December, Palin said that the first lady's fight against obesity in children reflected "government thinking that they need to take over and make decisions for us according to some politician or politician's wife's priorities."

Asked her about recent surveys that found many voters have a negative opinion of her, Palin conceded, "In a lot of those polls, I get my butt kicked."

But she went on to blame the "liberal-leaning press" for portraying her negatively, saying she could overcome that using Twitter and Facebook.

"I can't rely on a liberal-leaning press to do that for you. That's why social media will be so important," she said, according to CNN.

calvin

Sarah Palin
I think that she needs to do her homework before she speaks, As a mother you would think that she knows that babies drink formula not cows milk. AND SHE WANT'S TO RUN FOR PRESIDENT ?????????

March 23 2011 at 2:45 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Daniel

I wonder how Bachman/Palin felt about Nancy Reagan's Just Say No campaign. Too much govt. telling us what to do?

March 19 2011 at 3:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Larry L Presnell

bush,s wife did it to

March 05 2011 at 3:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Margaret

I love Sarah Palin. Yes, I'll admit that sometimes I make fun of her, or laugh at jokes about her, but I always do stick up for her. I love her sense of humor and if I was above age, I totally would've voted for her and John McCain! I find it awesome how Sarah Palin is always saying things like how Obama is doing it all wrong, and how she slams down on Michelle Obama. No offense to the Obama family, but you guys aren't doing much to help this country, McCain and Sarah would have done so much better! And I completely agree when Sarah said, "government thinking that they need to take over and make decisions for us according to some politician or politician's wife's priorities," that is so true! I think it's time for me to make a twitter account and follow Sarah Palin!!

February 22 2011 at 6:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AncientRvr

First Ladies all take these pro-child stances, Why is Michelle Obama not allowed to?

February 21 2011 at 7:25 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
John

One more thing, I had to laugh when Palin said that breastfeeding may be necessary because the cost of milk is so high. Babies are not feed with the milk you buy in a grocery store, there are different formulas used to feed babies not out of a gallon of milk you buy in a grocery store.

February 21 2011 at 2:05 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
John

Palin taking a swipe at Obama's breasfeeding push is hypicritical. As governor, she herself signed a proclamation stating that breastfeeding helps to lessen the chance of obesity, diabetes, and other illnesses and possible diseases. So, although, she was for it in the past, now that Obama has recommended it, she mocks her. Anything to criticize the 1st lady regardless of issue. What a hypicrite.

February 21 2011 at 1:45 PM Report abuse +5 rate up rate down Reply
natosean69

I have breastfed, and good pumps are expensive. Not everyone can afford to stay home and breastfeed and to allow those expenses to be tax deductible would help out a lot of families, especially these days. I also agree with getting food manufacturer's to make healthier food. If you have a limited food budget it doesn't matter how badly you want to feed your family fresh fruits and vegetables, or 100% juice over koolaid. You have to feed your family something so you end up with ramen noodles and hotdogs because that is what's affordable. You get processed fruits and vegetables loaded with sodium because that's what you can afford. Have you ever noticed the low sodium canned foods are always more expensive? Even if your kids aren't thin, they may still be malnourished. The worse feeling in the world is going to work every day and making too much money to qualify for food assistance but not enough money to pay your utilities, the kid's aftercare and buy groceries. I am sick of Sarah Palin, Michele Bachmann, and the rest of these politicians sounding off about trivial things. While they are bickering real American families are suffering.

February 19 2011 at 8:58 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
stlaferty

Ms. Palin's comment is kind of ignorant. Obviously, a breastfeeding infant would not be drinking cow's milk before age 1, so the price of milk is irrelevant.

February 19 2011 at 2:45 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
bonzo

You would think that as a mother, Sarah Palin would also push for more mothers to breastfeed thier infants.

February 19 2011 at 1:16 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply