Rare Footage Captures John F. Kennedy on His Last Night Alive

The night before he was assassinated, President John F. Kennedy stopped at the Rice Hotel in Houston to meet with local Hispanic leaders and to deliver a short speech. The president's appearance around 9 p.m. on Nov. 21, 1963, was captured by a home movie camera, and now that footage has been made public for the first time.

Roy Botello shot the 8mm film and then kept it in a drawer for 47 years, according to ABC News. Last year he donated it to the Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza, an institution in Dallas dedicated to the JFK assassination. The museum restored the footage and has made it available online.

The silent film captured Kennedy and First Lady Jackie Kennedy greeting dignitaries and speaking into a microphone on a podium. At one point the president is seen grinning as a mariachi band plays behind him.

"Everybody went nuts. It was so loud," Botello told Houston's KHOU-TV. "One time I was taking the video, somebody knocked me down."

Botello, now 88, shot the color home movie from his seat in the front row.

The next day Kennedy was shot to death in Dallas.

Watch the video:

Filed Under: Viral Video, Video, White House

toysax

#1.. the bay of pigs was planned by Eisenhower and Kennedy was only told about it upon becoming president.
#2 Kennedys vision of landing a man on the moon had a immeasurable POSITIVE effect on our economy as the american worker responsed to his vision.. scientists, engineers, visionaries of all kinds made an entire economy spring to life where there had been no hi tech economy!
3# his affairs.. Thomas Jefferson had sex with his slaves.. Roosevelt had a mistress..etc etc.. this is not to condone. but men with power and money cn have what they want , who they want.. whenever they want... its the way the world has been since the beginning of recorded history< Anthony, Ceasar and Ceopatra????> So enough with the moralizing!
Kennedy was a VISIONARY he gave this country vision and purpose.. he started the peace corp.. he started bi lateral non proliferation talks with the Soviets.. he did MANY good things .. and yes.. as we now see in our modern presidency... very little of rea substance gets done in the 1st 2 yrs of a presidency... it takes at least that long for ANY president< Including reagan and bush > to "learn the ropes"

February 27 2011 at 11:57 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
fstegall

The look on his face at about 1:05...very eerie...one could almost believe he knew what was coming the next day.

February 25 2011 at 7:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Fausto Lopez

Very good film. Why don't they get some one to read their lips and give us what was said in captions at the bottom of the screen.

February 24 2011 at 9:33 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
davidaj101

This Film is a Fantastic Barometer Latino's should use to determine how long The Democratic Party has been Beside & With Latino's. What a Wonderful Legacy & Honor that President Kennedy unknowingly spent his Last Night Alive Listening to & being With Latin Americans wanting a Better way of life. Long before the Repulican Party began Courting Latin Vote's(they only care about the Latin Vote's,NOT the Latin Voter's),The Democrats have ALWAYS been in the Trench's Beside & With Latino's. It would be really wonderful if this Film were to have been Donated to the Kennedy Library Instead of a Museum dedicated to where Kennedy was killed.

February 23 2011 at 4:01 PM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
Denzil

I was an eighteen year old college freshman in 1960. There was something about JFK that resonated with the youth of our country. I remember watching his inaugural address and was very impressed. His message was clear and concise, and it challenged the country to look beyond itself. I was a junior in college when we as a nation faced the Cuban Missile Crisis. My college is located near a SAC base, and I can still see and hear a large flight of B52's fly over our campus. They couldn't have been more than 2,000 feet above us. The roar was deafening, but I can distinctly remember feeling very patriotic and scared at the same time. JFK showed a lot of courage, class, and restraint during those 13 days. A bunch of us sat in the dorm lobby and watched his speech to the nation that night when he revealed the events in Cuba. We were all worried, but at the same time, we were proud of him. I was doing my student teaching at a junior high school in Abilene, Texas, on November 22, 1963. Our principal came on the PA and made the announcement about the shooting in Dallas. He left the PA turned on for the rest of the afternoon. The 7th graders in my classroom were very quiet and subdued. Some of them (including me) fought back tears. When I drove back to my apartment after school, there was virtually no traffic on the streets. The city was quiet. I shall never forget that four day period. I didn't know about his personal failings until later, but I still believe he had qualities that (had he lived) would have made him a good if not great president. It is my understanding that he and Jackie repaired their relationship, and he changed his behavior, after the death of their infant son, Patrick. The Kennedy sons didn't have the best example as far as faithfulness in marriage is concerned. Joseph Kennedy was a legendary philanderer and had lots of fun with Gloria Swanson and other movie stars. I don't believe we would have become so bogged down in Viet Nam had he lived. I could be wrong on that score, but I still don't think it would have gone as far as LBJ took it. I hope I don't see another presidential assassination. The one in 1963 was enough.

February 23 2011 at 4:08 AM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
God Bless You!!

Truly amazing. Poignant....very sad...brings back memories from long ago. I remember the sadness and silence but was too young to comprehend.

I wonder why he kept it hidden for so long?

Oh well. He gave it to the right people and now it has been restored.

February 22 2011 at 11:59 PM Report abuse +14 rate up rate down Reply
stephen

I was only 10 yrs old and my memories of J.F.K. are a little vague. What sticks in my mind the most is how much my father admired and liked him. Dad was a blue collar aircraft mechanic who worked hard and loved his family. I remember how deeply affected he was when Kennedy was assassinated and for many years afterward and so i was too. If Kennedy was good enough for the best man i ever knew, that said it all.

February 22 2011 at 11:49 PM Report abuse +15 rate up rate down Reply
illinoisguy

Let's be honest and look at the facts. He was not a great president. He had affairs and he was leading our country in the wrong direction. The cuban crisis in which he flexed his muscles almost lead to the end of much of the world. If the russians had not backed down, it would have resulted in the deaths of millions. When you look at what he did, he did very little as president except to hobknob with marilyn and frank. He was a part of the mofia and it was his daddy that got him the job.

February 22 2011 at 11:40 PM Report abuse -33 rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to illinoisguy's comment
movieskg

Not a political comment, but watch his eyes at 29 seconds.

February 22 2011 at 11:02 PM Report abuse +5 rate up rate down Reply
mallie888

Just about every American (those old enough) remembers what and where they were when he was murdered. I was a junior in high school. Vivid memory. Watching the video brought it all back to me - he will forever be young in my mind. I felt so bad for Jackie and their children... and our nation. It was so traumatic. Someone posted it's when things began to change, and I agree. I once read where the death of our innocence came when Manson went on a murder spree, but I believe it was when the Kennedys were killed.

February 22 2011 at 10:47 PM Report abuse +21 rate up rate down Reply