Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels on College Pot Bust: Justice Served, Lesson Learned

Mitch Daniels once thought his arrest for marijuana possession as a college student 41 years ago would ruin his chances of holding elective office. That turned out not to be true. Now in his second term as Indiana's governor, he may be on the brink of a campaign for president.

His recent candor on the issue may have helped him shed any political baggage still associated with drug use. "I don't make excuses for anything. Justice was served," Daniels, a Republican, told the Daily Princetonian in a recent interview. "I had used marijuana and I was fined for that -- and that was appropriate."

Daniels, 61, was arrested in May 1970 when police found marijuana, LSD and unauthorized prescription drugs in a dorm room he shared with two other students. He was later fined $350 for "maintaining a common nuisance." One of his roommates told the Princetonian that a former resident of the room was responsible for drugs "worse than pot" that were found.

Daniels, who in appearance could still pass for an aging choir boy, has addressed the incident before. In 1988, he told the campus newspaper he feared after the bust that "any goals I might have had for competing for public office were shot." And in a 1989 opinion piece in the Washington Post, he called the embarrassing episode an "unfortunate confluence of my wild oats period and America's libertine apogee." Marijuana, he said, was as easy to obtain as beer and "for a time, I was a carefree consumer of both."

That was then. Daniels was all business in a speech at a Republican dinner in Cincinnati Wednesday night. Addressing the labor disputes in his state, Ohio and Wisconsin, he called public worker unions the "privileged elite" and allowed that there "may have been a time when government employees needed protection and needed reform, but that was a long time ago."

Public jobs and pay have grown while "private sectors salaries are shrinking," he said, according to the Cincinnati Enquirer. "It's time to interrupt that loop in the public interest."

Folo Tom Diemer on Twitter http://twitter.com/tomdiemer

2 Comments

Filter by:
watson185

Gov Daniels Public jobs and pay have grown while "private sectors salaries are shrinking," he said, according to the Cincinnati Enquirer. "It's time to interrupt that loop in the public interest." *******Question for you Gov. Why not find out why the private sector pay is shrinking? Instead you are lowering the bar on the standard of living. Private sector pay is shrinking because they are not using collective bargining. The prices for goods and services are not shrinking. Why are you tking funds from the workers.

February 25 2011 at 2:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erick1464

So a college student over 40 years ago was arrested for possession of marijuana! Let me assure you, as a college student at that time, he was by far not the only one and certainly not the only politician.
If we are to continue to dig up these ancient reports on our current or future politicians, now is the time to shut the Govt down. I dare say we have very many people in congress who can pass this test sufficient to run our bankrupt Govt.
Heck, we even had a President, IN OFFICE, who had SEX with an intern.

February 25 2011 at 11:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply