Mike Huckabee and Sarah Palin Aren't Palling Around at Fox

Do I know you? They are colleagues at Fox News and might also share a bond as former Republican governors, but Mike Huckabee says he hasn't encountered Sarah Palin during the time both have worked at the cable network over the past year or so.

"I don't think I've ever bumped into Sarah Palin ever at Fox," Huckabee told CNN's John King. (Of course, many of Palin's appearances on the channel are via satellite from her home in Alaska.)

Not only are they apparently not TV buddies, Huckabee and Palin could be competing for the same bloc of socially conservative voters if they both decide to run next year for the Republican presidential nomination.

Huckabee, who has a weekly show on Fox, made a point of defending first lady Michelle Obama when Palin made fun of her campaign against childhood obesity late last year. With all due respect, he said, his "friend" Palin misunderstood what Mrs. Obama was trying to accomplish. She's "not trying to tell people what to eat or force government's desires on people," he said. "She's stating the obvious: that we have an obesity crisis in this country."

Huckabee, who has battled his own weight problems, also defended the objectivity of Fox News, which employs not only himself and the former governor of Alaska but onetime House Speaker Newt Gingrich and former Pennsylvania Sen. Rich Santorum. "The one thing about Fox that people miss is that there really is this big wall between the news guys and the program guys," he said. "I mean I'm on the program-track side. I don't pretend to be objective. I'm not. But I would say our news guys, they're objective."

The former Arkansas governor was also asked about the Libyan crisis. Huckabee said that Libyan dictator Moammar Gadhafi is "clearly a madman" and that the U.S. should consider establishing a "no-fly zone" over the country to help prevent further bloodshed on the ground.

Folo Tom Diemer on Twitter http://twitter.com/tomdiemer

o5419069

I like Mike. He is like the folks I grew up around. I have a feeling that we would would be good neighbors. My obligation to my country rises above personal feelings though. I vote for the party. I do not vote for individuals because they will eventually follow the party. The party which represents my long-considered philosophy is not Mike's party. I have great friends and I try to be a great friend. We are often of opposite political parties and philosophies. My friendship and respect is in no way tied to politics. I am not so arrogant as to think I hold all wisdom in politics or anything else. I do vote my conscience. God bless America no matter which party is in power.

February 26 2011 at 11:38 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
fpfp040408

Huckabee made a point of defending first lady Michelle Obama when Palin made fun of her campaign against childhood obesity Huchabee said Michelle Obama is "not trying to tell people what to eat or force government's desires on people," he said. "She's stating the obvious: that we have an obesity crisis in this country."
It is nice to finally see one Republican speak the truth and not lie or twist and manipulate to cause damage and pain.

February 26 2011 at 10:14 AM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
fpfp040408

Huckabee is right in defending First Lady OBAMA. He is pointing out all the lies and twisting and manipulation. God Bless Michelle Obama, a great First Lady just like Eleanor Roosevelt.

February 26 2011 at 10:03 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
tistolaugh

Huckabee seems rather naive in his claim that Palin misunderstood what Michelle Obama was trying to say about obesity in America. Because now Mrs. Obama wants to govern portion sizes in restaurants for the rest of us. Huckabee is just too nice of a guy to ever be president.

February 25 2011 at 5:14 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
JERRY

, Even though I am not of his political persuasion, I think he is a decent spiritual man, when he was running for president. There was something that was just decent and inviting about his public persona, he's not a mudslinger, my grandmother used to tell me if a person is a Christian. They don't have to tell you because it shows by their actions, it's very obvious that most politicians who claim to be Christians are not, with most of them not having Christlike ways, if Mr. Huckabee runs a again, and I encounter a less than evil candidate situation. I will definitely vote for him, we need men of his ilk in the political arena to counteract the others affect on our country.

February 25 2011 at 4:58 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to JERRY's comment
Bruce

Jerry-- there is a huge difference between someone's "public persona", and their actual "personality". Huckabee is particularly adept at wearing his mask when under the public microscope-- but that does NOT make him a quality individual. That's what Halloween masks are for!

February 25 2011 at 8:03 PM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
andrc657

FOX NEWS has a reputation for pushing a hard right agenda with little concern for the truth. This has become even more obvious after recent revelations about Roger Ailes. Any serious presidential contender needs to sever all ties with FOX NEWS in order to maintain any credibility with the public.

February 25 2011 at 12:23 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to andrc657's comment
Andy

Comments such as this seem to be all the TRUTH the left has to offer. It doesn't matter, if the comments appear on this article, or others, as I have noted today, they always attack FOX NEWS and those who disagree with the left. There seems to be an obsession with FOX NEWS AND PALIN. I take this as an indication that the left is being beaten on the voter front and in the race for influence.

February 25 2011 at 2:09 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
oldengineera2

I recall the dedication Dan Rather expressed toward integrity in media when he stubbornly stuck to his charges against G.W. Bush based on a fraudulent document purporting to prove some military point. The problem was that the document was produced not in the 12-point, fixed-font format universally required in military forms at the time, but in a proportional typeface readily available today... on ink-jet and laser printers.
On this site, I am increasingly concerned that comments are selected and deselected for publication based on the PC nature of the writer's stance rather than the quality of the point they have to argue. If it persists, The site will become another echo chamber like HuffPO.

February 26 2011 at 6:38 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply