Wisconsin Workers Get Support from Poland's Solidarity Trade Union

The Polish trade union Solidarity, whose protests in the early 1980s helped precipitate the downfall of Soviet communism, has embraced the cause of Wisconsin's protesting public workers.

Piotr Duda, head of the 700,000-member "Solidarnosc" trade union, wrote that on behalf of his organization he wanted to "express our solidarity and support for your struggle against the recent assault on trade unions and trade union rights unleashed by Governor Scott Walker," Wisconsin's budget-cutting Republican executive.

"We are witnessing yet another attempt of transferring the costs of the economic crisis and of the failed financial policies to working people and their families," Duda wrote. "As much as some adjustments are necessary, we can not and must not agree that the austerity measures are synonymous with union busting practices, the elimination of bargaining rights and the reduction of social benefits and wages."

"Your victory is our victory as well," Duda concluded, pledging assistance if the public employee unions need it.

Writing at Politics Daily this week, Gerald J. Beyer, an associate professor of Christian social ethics at Saint Joseph's University in Philadelphia, argued that there are parallels between the Solidarity movement in communist Poland and the efforts by public workers in Wisconsin and other states to resist efforts to curtail their collective bargaining rights.

80%

69 Comments

Filter by:
harjacobhar

Scott Walker doesnt know what he started.... This may be where the US worker revolution begins. I am sure a comment like that get me placed on some watch list, but you know what. I am sick and tired of my fellow citizens being suckered into believing that capitolism and democracy are the same thing. They are not.

THANK YOU TEACHERS FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK!!!!!

March 01 2011 at 5:51 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
inasctg56

Weakening of collective bargaining will hurt wages for the majority of workers at other companies because nonunionized companies often match union benefits to keep union out. Wages for 90% of the labor force that's not unionized would be threatened. You just don't get it - you are being played and you don't even know it. All while exxon mobile pays no tax and the gap widens. You have misplaced your anger and are allowing the gop to further their agenda with the have's and have not's.

February 27 2011 at 4:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
E.T.

This is so fantastic! Global Solidarity to help the working families!

February 27 2011 at 4:25 AM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to E.T.'s comment
weathwoods

And why not? Big business has gone global, so should unions. It is ironic that the term, "Citizen of the world," which the communists once used to describe themselves, should actually apply to our corporate leaders, who have no loyalty to America. Unions need to think globally.

March 03 2011 at 12:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
markndeb48

What is needed is everyone who is sick of these taxpayer money public unions that mooch off the taxpayer and always want more more more at your expense to stand up and start massive protests against all these unions in every state

February 27 2011 at 12:46 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
fassssster

I tend to agree with Gerald J. Beyer

February 26 2011 at 10:30 PM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
conservgirl8

Hey workers, work for yourselves. I am so proud of WI, Governor Walker. I would give anything to have a Governor take charge and do the right thing. I live in CA. Need I say more?

February 26 2011 at 7:47 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
inasctg56

reply to condley - Corporations, banking, halliburton, Koch brothers are running the gop. The only standing between them and working families are the unions. Once they're gone we are totally screwed. Why do you think the republican appointed supreme court justices allows corporate donations? You are so off base here it's pathetic or you're getting paid by Koch to blog.

February 26 2011 at 5:18 PM Report abuse +5 rate up rate down Reply
rlgoff

The Polish trade union Solidarity, whose protests in the early 1980s helped precipitate the downfall of Soviet communism -
The main difference is that communism and socialism are helping fuel this fire! Looks like the Governor is a real leader and the Libs who ran are typical complainers...

February 26 2011 at 5:10 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Condley

The public unions pay the Democrats off with big contributions. The Democrat politicians take private workers earnings through taxation and give it to the public union workers, who in turn give it to the unions. Gee, I don't understand what the problem is? Do you? Every company in Wisconsin should pack up and leave the state. Let the public workers and their unions have Wisconin. Then the right-to-work capitalist states should sell Wisconsin to Canada.

February 26 2011 at 4:37 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
inasctg56

Wisconsin Governor - planting trouble makers in the crowd, not acknowledging concessions that he asked for, agreeing to go on an all expense paid trip to California by Koch, passing legislation for no bid contracts that Koch benefits from - the man is a goner. And people are seeing once again in Michigan how the gop is raising taxes on families and handing it over to corporations in tax cuts. That is exactly what the gop did under Bush and it doesn't work.

February 26 2011 at 3:24 PM Report abuse -9 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to inasctg56's comment
joe

He doesn't have an open invitation to visit the White House on a daily basis like two union chiefs do. Is it wrong to use union tactics against the unions?

February 26 2011 at 8:01 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply